Where does he stand

• Legend

• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Bonucci is a CB and an Italian one, it is a gisgrace for an Italian CB not to know how to tackle, not to be able to man mark, not to be able to stop his man. A defender must above all be a protector of our territory, someone who can stop the opposition players of making succesful attacking efforts against us.
If the CB doesnt do it, then who will??
Bonucci surely cannot byhimself and he is always dependant on a Barzagli, or a Chiellini for that.
80% of the praise he gets is about his contribution at passing and the occassional contribution on the attack, but very rarely for his defensive duties.

I am not impressed by long balls and sort passes, i have experienced legender defenders like Thuram and Cannavaro in the center of our defence and i cannot erase those interceptions, tackles and man marking from my mind.
Its up to Bonucci to earn my respect by starting acting like an Italian CB, not like a misplaced CM...

Hængebøffer

Jun 4, 2009
Bonucci is a CB and an Italian one, it is a gisgrace for an Italian CB not to know how to tackle, not to be able to man mark, not to be able to stop his man. A defender must above all be a protector of our territory, someone who can stop the opposition players of making succesful attacking efforts against us.
Bonucci surely cannot byhimself and he is always dependant on a Barzagli, or a Chiellini for that.
80% of the praise he gets is about his contribution at passing and the occassional contribution on the attack, but very rarely for his defensive duties.

I am not impressed by long balls and sort passes, i have experienced legender defenders like Thuram and Cannavaro in the center of our defence and i cannot erase those interceptions, tackles and man marking from my mind.
Its up to Bonucci to earn my respect by starting acting like an Italian CB, not like a misplaced CM...
Enjoy the infraction, troll.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006

stop bullying Bonucci!!

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009

Thuram isn't an Italian CB. Stop the racism!!

juvefan27

Apr 17, 2012
Defensive stats this season (Serie A)

Barzagli: Tackles per game: 1, interceptions per game: 2.6, fouls: 0.2, clearances: 2.8, dribbles: 0.2, blocks: 0.3, headers won: 1 pass completion: 88.5%

Chiellini: tackles per game: 1.6, interceptions per game: 2.5, fouls: 1.2, clearances 3.7, dribbles: 0.2, blocks: 0.3, headers won: 1.7, pass completion: 86.5%

Bonucci: tackles per game: 0.9, interceptions per game: 2.6, fouls: 0.9, clearances: 4.2, dribbles: 0.4, blocks: 0.3, headers won: 1.6, pass completion: 88.2%

So, tell me again, how is Bonucci so much worse than our other centre-backs?

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Defensive stats this season (Serie A)

Barzagli: Tackles per game: 1, interceptions per game: 2.6, fouls: 0.2, clearances: 2.8, dribbles: 0.2, blocks: 0.3, headers won: 1 pass completion: 88.5%

Chiellini: tackles per game: 1.6, interceptions per game: 2.5, fouls: 1.2, clearances 3.7, dribbles: 0.2, blocks: 0.3, headers won: 1.7, pass completion: 86.5%

Bonucci: tackles per game: 0.9, interceptions per game: 2.6, fouls: 0.9, clearances: 4.2, dribbles: 0.4, blocks: 0.3, headers won: 1.6, pass completion: 88.2%

So, tell me again, how is Bonucci so much worse than our other centre-backs?
You have to blame the refs for that.

TheTruth

Aug 24, 2015
What he has improved a lot was his error prone nature. H was simply too error prone. He is not the most elegant defender there is..in fact he still looks like a retard when doing his things... but he has learned to anticipate well plays...improved his tackles and knows how to exploit his ball passing skills.That coupled with minimizing his errors substantially has helped him a lot.

His weak point continue being 1v1s on counters and freekicks/corner situations, but luckily we defend as a unit and can cover up this.
Great post.

In terms of being less error prone, I think he's improved his concentration level greatly. And I also agree that he can improve 1v1. I remember Borriello in that Carpi game did to him what Messi did to Boateng, which is laughable. But what an amazing development he's had from what we saw the first year under Conte.

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009

Cannavaro is one of the best defenders in the history of the game man. He was not a good italian CB he was one of the best defenders of all time. You are setting the standard insanely high. No one here ever argued that Bonnucci is Cannavaro's equal. Anyone easily admits that cannavaro was something else but that does not mean that Bonnucci is a bad defender. If Cannavaro is the standard, then every single defender in the world would fail to make that standard. It is absurd to think that a defender is a poor signing if he does not reach cannavaro or thuram's level. This is akin to saying that any striker that really anyone signs is poor because they are not on Ronaldo's level. Pogba is such a poor signings because I can't get the majesty of zidane out of my mind. His passing his dictating play, his ball control, dribbling and leadership skills.. do you see whats wrong with this kind of argument?

The fact is we have 3 world class defenders by today's standards, none of which is as good as cannavaro. All 3 have been forming an extremely solid defense for five years now, getting countless clean sheets in the process. Buffon has just equaled his best record in terms of number of minutes without conceding and is 2 matches away from the all time record in Italy and that is largely down to how protected he is by our defense. Say what you want but a team does not consistently have one of the best defensive records across Europe for five years when one of those defenders is supposedly terrible. The defense even continued to be solid shifting to a back four too.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
Our defensive record has more to do with the fact that we have 3 CBs and 2 wingbacks and 3 CMs to support them, also one of the worlds greatest keepers, rather than Bonucci's individual defensive skills...

Bonucci is favored from all that, exactly as Guardiola is favored when he only had to coach the strongest and wealthiest teams/players in the world. Thats the perfect receipe of overhyping and overrating someone.

And as for Cannavaro, he was trully one of the world's best CBs, but many of our gay fans who like Bonucci more because of his looks, rather than his defending will not hesitate to compare them.

My golden standard is Iuliano, he was never great like Ferrara, or even Montero, let alone Thuram and Cannavaro, but he was no stranger to tacklings or man markings. Chiellini and Barzagli at this age are more capable defenders, but when you have to face a Lewa at Bayern and the game has to be decided by a one on one chance of our CB with him, would you pick Bonucci, or Iuliano to stop him???

Thaaats the golden standard right there, whoever fails the Iuliano test is not a Juve material CB in my books...

Maldini , Cafu ,Lizarazu, Zambro and Thuram were venerated for their offensive contributions, but they were also extremely capable at defending.The offensive play was just the extra that made the difference, not the only reason they were rated.
Bonucci is only praised for his passes and long balls, but never for his defensive work, when was the last time you remember him of depossessing anyone?? How many times this happens per season!

juvefan27

Apr 17, 2012
rather than Bonucci's individual defensive skills...
Just ignoring the stats then?

when was the last time you remember him of depossessing anyone?? How many times this happens per season!
0.9 times per game, so about 34 times.

many of our gay fans who like Bonucci more because of his looks, rather than his defending
Homophobic IMO

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
I am not ignoring the stats, just pointing out the reason we have them, need to remind you those stats before Conte made that tactical switch?

Skinnylegs is not a good defender because he never stops anyone, i am not expecting him to head it like Nesta or Stam, despite his height, i am not expecting him to read the game like Canna, i do expect him to stop hiding behind barza and chiellini and intercept a ball, once in a while just try to deposses an opposition forward, make a tactical foul, be smth more than a movable object that his presence barely matters as obstructive to Buffon's goals.

Be the hero in a game we were dominated, not by going forward, but by stopping forwards.
I expect from our CMs and wingers to help the front, from our CBs, i expect them to defend and rate them for that!
Bonucci us useless when we have to defend, when we are hardly pressed, he always concedes space and time, he always avoids to make contact and when he has no other choice he "Bonuccies"...

A player, who can run, pass, throw some long balls, make a run for the goal and is unable to perform a sliding tackle, cannot mark his man, does not intercept balls, is unable to stop the opposition by force at any cost is more of a CM, rather than a CB.

Skinny legs suppossedly had a great game against Inter and his fans were eager to celebrate that after a long string of disastrous appearances, but once again his best play is not because of his defensive, once again it is because of his offensive contribution in a game we dominated. It is not a coincidence that he can only sign then and never in a game like the first half vs Bayern that he was just marking with his eyes...

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I am not ignoring the stats, just pointing out the reason we have them, need to remind you those stats before Conte made that tactical switch?

Skinnielegs is not a good defender because he never stops anyone, i am not expecting him to head it like Nesta or Stam, despite his height, i am not expecting him to read the game like Canna, i do expect him to stop hiding behind barza and chiellini and intercept a ball, once in a while just try to deposses an opposition forward, make a tactical foul, be smth more than a movable object that his presence barely matters as obstructive to Buffon's goals.

Be the hero in a game we were dominated, not by going forward, but by stopping forwards.
I expect from our CMs and wingers to help the front, from our CBs, i expect them to defend and ratevthem for that!

A player, who can run, pass, throw some long balls, make a run for the goal and is unable to perform a sliding tackle, cannot mark his man, does not intercept balls, is unable to stop the opposition by force at any cost is more of a CM, rather than a CB.

Skinny legs suppossedly had a great game against Inter and his fans were eager to celebrate that after a long string of disastrous appearances, but once again his best play is not because of his defensive, once again it is because of his offensive contribution in a game we dominated. It is not a coincidence that he can only sign then and never in a game like the first half vs Bayern that he was just marking with his eyes...
:lol:

did you look at the stats Juvefan27 posted on the previous page? Cause they seem to indicate you being wrong

juvefan27

Apr 17, 2012
I am not ignoring the stats,

Skinnielegs is not a good defender because he never stops anyone, i am not expecting him to head it like Nesta or Stam, despite his height, i am not expecting him to read the game like Canna, i do expect him to stop hiding behind barza and chiellini and intercept a ball, once in a while just try to deposses an opposition forward, make a tactical foul, be smth more than a movable object that his presence barely matters as obstructive to Buffon's goals.

I expect from our CMs and wingers to help the front, from our CBs, i expect them to defend and ratevthem for that!

Says "I'm not ignoring the stats".

Proceeeds to ignore the stats.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
o those stats, those stats cannot be true, it would be interesting to see what they count as interception and tackle, i am eagerly awaiting to see Bonucci performing a tackle and i am always celebrating it when it happens, most of the times reporting it in here, or in the live match threads, but they are so freakin rare.

I am always present at matchdays when i am not working and i challenge anyone to count how many times Bonucci performs tackles and interceptions per game and how many times he let it for Barza...
If wasnt watching those games by myself, i could solely rely on those stats, but not after watching 85% of our games!

That would be really interesting to do in the coming game vs Bayern!
A game were our defenders will have to defend and shine for and from threir defending!
It would be a prime opportunity to see if those stats hold any water and how much they matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 20, Guests: 470)