Where does he stand

• Legend

• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
His long range passing has inproved greatly though.
He seems to be using a different technique.

He's really powering through the ball and striking with the top of the foot at the moment, where previously he was sort of scooping it with his instep.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
Honestly Bon has grown on me despite the shame I felt earlier seeing him wearing our jersey. His passes have been decisive for us and he is an essential part in our build ups. He has flaws in his defense, flaws I really hope that will be reduced as he gain experience. However, most of the yellows he has received so far this season has been tactical yellows when he had to clean up for someone else. But to become indespenseble to this team he really has to work on his mobility. It's fine that he's slow but he has to be faster in his turns. It's too easy now, just flick the ball a few decimeters away from his feet and keep on running. He is too immobile to recover space. He has although greately improved his error "pronebility" from past years.
And concession of goals/dangerous situations.

- Slide tackle the turf on the half way line
- Miss a Rabona 15m outside the box and stand there afterwards like a scarecrow
- Zero ability to make a tackle 1v1

He's good in build up play, that's about it. As a defender, he's a nightmare.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
People underestimate how hard it is to cleanly tackle someone when they are running at you at pace and you are standing still/backing off.

Bonucci doesn't have the option to get tight the way the other CBs do, so is inevitably going to face that on occassion. He also, generally, doesn't have a 'safe' side to send the forward to the way the other CBs do to show a player the outside.

Slowing the player down a little to give others time to recover their positions is often the best Bonucci can do without taking the risk of lunging in early and getting sent off or allowing the player a clear run in on goal.

Now, I'm not going to suggest Bonucci is anything better than poor in those situations, but people should remember that they are extremely tough situations to deal with.

Juve_fanatic

Second coolest member!
Apr 5, 2006
People underestimate how hard it is to cleanly tackle someone when they are running at you at pace and you are standing still/backing off.

Bonucci doesn't have the option to get tight the way the other CBs do, so is inevitably going to face that on occassion. He also, generally, doesn't have a 'safe' side to send the forward to the way the other CBs do to show a player the outside.

Slowing the player down a little to give others time to recover their positions is often the best Bonucci can do without taking the risk of lunging in early and getting sent off or allowing the player a clear run in on goal.

Now, I'm not going to suggest Bonucci is anything better than poor in those situations, but people should remember that they are extremely tough situations to deal with.
Exactly what i was thinking....dont know why i didnt post that. Its whan thing being one one in a "stand-off" when the CB and the attacker face each other, but it is a completely different thing when the attacker is running at you full speed and he has the space to go whichever side he chooses to. I would even dare to say that Bonucci did a wonderful thing in those situations where he got himself carded cause if it was someone else instead of him they might have even missed the attacker which would have led to a goal-scoring opportunity.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
And this is what takes apart the good defenders from the mediocre ones.
It is a shame for our jersey to have a starter cb who can't tackle. Bonucci does not just tactically avoiding it, he just can't...

Juliano13

May 6, 2012

True. Seems like some people on the forum have never played football.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009

Having played Sweeper and DM for most of my amateur footballing life, I can tell you that what you're saying is not completely true. Now I'm not saying you can compare that to having Hazard run at you but it gives you an understanding of these situations.

Yes you can't simply "show them the line" as you're not close to it, you're generally closer to centre field, but you can ensure you jockey and drive them away from goal. The first thing you're taught as a defender is never stupidly commit yourself, especially when it's going to lead to a break or even worse, the absolute worst cardinal sin is to stupidly jump in when you're the last defender, but that's what Bonucci seems to do game after game. He is put in bad situations by the team yes, but he never shows ability or intelligence to get out of those situations ontop.

Against Chelsea, when he got the yellow, he could have easily showed the player the line, instead he showed him the inside and picked up the yellow.

LowLife

Jan 7, 2011

Yeah but he always chooses to tackle instead of following him.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Having played Sweeper and DM for most of my amateur footballing life, I can tell you that what you're saying is not completely true. Now I'm not saying you can compare that to having Hazard run at you but it gives you an understanding of these situations.

Yes you can't simply "show them the line" as you're not close to it, you're generally closer to centre field, but you can ensure you jockey and drive them away from goal. The first thing you're taught as a defender is never stupidly commit yourself, especially when it's going to lead to a break or even worse, the absolute worst cardinal sin is to stupidly jump in when you're the last defender, but that's what Bonucci seems to do game after game. He is put in bad situations by the team yes, but he never shows ability or intelligence to get out of those situations ontop.

Against Chelsea, when he got the yellow, he could have easily showed the player the line, instead he showed him the inside and picked up the yellow.
He decided he was taking the yellow well ahead of making the challenge in that instance.

Anyway, as I said, Bonucci certainly isn't good at dealing with those one-on-one situations.

I just get fed up of some people making out that those situations he gets in are easy to deal with.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah but he always chooses to tackle instead of following him.
Have you tried turning and trying to keep up with a guy who is already running at you at full pace?

Not easy.

You have to make a good job of slowing him down first in order to give yourself a sporting chance.

Linebreak

Sep 18, 2009
He decided he was taking the yellow well ahead of making the challenge in that instance.

Anyway, as I said, Bonucci certainly isn't good at dealing with those one-on-one situations.

I just get fed up of some people making out that those situations he gets in are easy to deal with.

- - - Updated - - -
By no means are they easy, but invariably Bonbon makes the worst "panic and jump in randomly" or "plant self to the spot and stick leg out" type decisions in those situations.

For Juve to have their main CB to be such a weak defender is a worry, and having Pirlo pretending to defend ahead of him (he has an excuse being the playmaker) makes our spine very vulnerable.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
By no means are they easy, but invariably Bonbon makes the worst "panic and jump in randomly" or "plant self to the spot and stick leg out" type decisions in those situations.
I don't think that's entirely fair.

He almost always manages to slow the player down a bit and allows the other defenders to recover somewhat before he makes the challenge.

If he was doing it really badly, Juve would be conceding a lot more goals from those situations and Bonucci would be getting sent off an awful lot.

For Juve to have their main CB to be such a weak defender is a worry, and having Pirlo pretending to defend ahead of him (he has an excuse being the playmaker) makes our spine very vulnerable.
I can't say the Bonucci bit would worry me all that much.

It would disturb me a great deal how often the situation arises where an opposition player is being allowed to run - pretty much one-on-one - at Juve's last line of defence.

The combination of playing a genuine three at the back, playing a presing games and - as you say - having Pirlo as the deepest midfielder does leave Juve pretty exposed when even relatively minor mistakes are made by players higher up the pitch.

It's another reason - one could argue - for the 4-3-3.

Keeping the two CBs nice and tight together so that they can cover each other may well give Juve more security than having the back three strung run across the pitch, and often with one of them pressing up the pitch.

Either that or you keep one of the wingbacks a little deeper (like Inter do with Zanetti) so that the CB on that side can play a bit narrower and keep things a bit more compact and reduce the likelihood of defenders being left exposed one-on-one.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Oh, the irony of having a playmaker who pretends to defend, and a defender who pretends to be a playmaker :)

Preet

Powerpuff G!
Sep 7, 2010
Like I said, he's not a reliable, traditional CB. I don't see how anyone can argue that. If you put him next to Chiellini and compare each facet of the game they are completely opposite.

I don't necessarily HATE him. I root for him and he's still young but I just don't see how he can become a top CB. He can't move laterally, he can't turn his hips, he has no straight line speed. He has no timing on challenges and he doesn't have that acceleration you see from Barza or Chiellini, like they're men possessed.

What can he do? He is comfortable on the ball, his long passing has improved and is useful, he is very strong in the air and his last ditch slide tackles are good. That's why he is playing as a sweeper.

Is he acceptable most of the time? Yes. Because of the way we play and for that reason only. But we have to be completely impregnable for Europe. You're only as good as your weakest link.
I should play instead of bonbon. My gym instructor says that I can move mine pretty well. :p

Elvin

Nov 25, 2005
He is only 25 years old. He is on the same overall level as Barzagli was at his age. Look at him now. Chill guys, he's better than any of our rivals have.

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
And he already has 24 international caps. I can't remember the last time a 25 years old Italian defender got this many. He's destined to be great in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 5, Guests: 89)