Where does he stand

• Legend

• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
True, midfield was the worst but you are taking an overly simplified way of looking at it by viewing our turn overs in midfield as entirely the fault of the midfield three. Having a central defender that is a threat on the ball definitely helps out, there will be fewer turnovers in midfield if they are getting better service from deep and then there will be added hesitation for teams to high press a less shaky backline.

Teams last season could high press us into oblivion, Pjanic was frequently too far away to come deep and collect so when opposing attackers ran at us the ball would too often get pushed back to Buffon or hoofed aimlessly forward by a CB. Distribution out the back was very clearly a huge problem for us last season (hopefully the Pole helps) and Bonucci has the attributes to change that.

You may hate Bonucci but if you watched Juventus last season then you saw his distribution out the back was sorely missed. And for all the criticism people are leveling at him defensively, Bonucci - Chiellini of 2016-2017 was a way more solid defensive partnership than anything we had last season. We were crap at the back for long parts of last season, almost wouldn't know you were watching a Juventus team.
Perhaps that is one of the weaknesses of using Pjanic as a regista? (food for thought)

Yes there is some benefit to having a CB who can pass like Bonucci. However that is a bonus, and not the most important requirement of a defender. All other teams have to make do without Bonucci's passing. Benatia is more than competent in that department.

And as you say, Sczcz is good on the ball, so is Cancelo. So we've improved again there. I'd be more worried about Chiellini being the only one out of a four (that includes Bonucci) who can tackle and win aerial duels.

- - - Updated - - -

Fairly easy to understand one would think.
what's hard to understand is how this douchebag gets a pass :confused:

Buy on AliExpress.com

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015
Perhaps that is one of the weaknesses of using Pjanic as a regista? (food for thought)

Yes there is some benefit to having a CB who can pass like Bonucci. However that is a bonus, and not the most important requirement of a defender. All other teams have to make do without Bonucci's passing. Benatia is more than competent in that department.

And as you say, Sczcz is good on the ball, so is Cancelo. So we've improved again there. I'd be more worried about Chiellini being the only one out of a four (that includes Bonucci) who can tackle and win aerial duels.
That's one hell of a convincing argument.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006

- - - Updated - - -

what's hard to understand is how this douchebag gets a pass :confused:
Despite the (rumored) rift between the two Bonucci's years under Allegri have been by far his best, and a majority of that has been in the four man backline that he, allegedly, can't function in.

Bonucci certainly does have his defensive limitations but Allegri knew/knows how to use him properly. It worked. Once again, our defense last season was a lot worse than at any point in Allegri's previous three years, despite Bonucci being a starter then. Some food for thought before you say Bonucci can't defend/ isn't as good as Benatia.

And I think you are grossly underrating the benefit of his ability on the ball by calling it simply a bonus for a CB. I stand by what I said earlier that without him we could not distribute from the back, other teams learned it quickly, and we suffered a lot because of it.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Caldara Rugani > Chiellini Bonucci.

The number of fuck ups Chiellini and Bonucci make are way too much for a team trying to win chl. They’re a ticking bomb.
Funny how you bring that up because I remember seeing Chiellini as the bonehead of that partnership in high profile Champions Leage games. He had glaring errors in a number of knockout games and was the ticking time bomb of the partnership then.

But he's still here so best CB in the World where as Bonucci is gone so utter garbage.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
Despite the (rumored) rift between the two Bonucci's years under Allegri have been by far his best, and a majority of that has been in the four man backline that he, allegedly, can't function in.

Bonucci certainly does have his defensive limitations but Allegri knew/knows how to use him properly. It worked. Once again, our defense last season was a lot worse than at any point in Allegri's previous three years, despite Bonucci being a starter then. Some food for thought before you say Bonucci can't defend/ isn't as good as Benatia.

And I think you are grossly underrating the benefit of his ability on the ball by calling it simply a bonus for a CB. I stand by what I said earlier that without him we could not distribute from the back, other teams learned it quickly, and we suffered a lot because of it.
You mean 3 years? And no, the vast majority was 3-5-2 we usually only played a back 4 in Europe.

Our defence last season also comprised De Sciglio, Asamoah, an end of the road Licht, and depressed Alex Sandro. The team on the whole suffered and took a while to find form, including Benatia.

Yes it's a bonus to have a defender who can play long passes as well as Bonucci. It's a luxury that very few teams have. I stand by Benatia being competent on the ball, although he is no regista. We suffered from a midfield that couldn't transition from defence well.

Would you take Bonucci or Godin?

Who? :shifty:

Pls. bear with me Linda, i usually tone it down rather quick with the ones i love.

- - - Updated - - -

No, but it does no harm to have one.
Bonucci. You don't like douchebags on your team, no?

Yes, that's what I said. It's a bonus, better to have than not have. But not at the expense of good defending

- - - Updated - - -

We aren't trying to be one of the other teams we are trying be the best team in Europe so we can win the Champions League.
Does Real have a regista of defence? Did Barca have one?

You don't become the best team by weakening your defence.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Does Real have a regista of defence? Did Barca have one?

You don't become the best team by weakening your defence.
a little less necessary when you have a billion dollar team ahead of that defense. Other sides aren't really going to press you as aggressively when they will get cut to pieces if that press fails.

Would it be weakening our defense though? As I mentioned before Bonucci worked when he was a part of this team. I don't know how but it worked.

Snobist

DareDevil
Apr 16, 2017
Funny how you bring that up because I remember seeing Chiellini as the bonehead of that partnership in high profile Champions Leage games. He had glaring errors in a number of knockout games and was the ticking time bomb of the partnership then.

But he's still here so best CB in the World where as Bonucci is gone so utter garbage.

Seems that you did not understand me. Im not saying Chiellini does not fuck up. They both do. Having both of them is way too much. One of them will cause a silly goal that could cause us titles. Remember Bonnuci terrible defending in Cardiff when Ronaldo scored, and Chiellini’s terrible blunder that led to Ronaldo’s bycicle kick. I did not forget Dortmund game, Chiellini same error that led to Reus goal. And somehow always the ball hits Bonnuci and goes in goal. He is either unlucky or just stupid.

Again I would not want them both in my team. They’re bound to make mistakes when you desperately need a cleansheet.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Chiellini is a miles better defender in terms of 1 on 1 situations than bonucci could ever dream of becoming, both do have mental lapses as does benatia in truth... All the more reason to hope that Caldara cements a place in the team sooner rather than later, and a reason to certainly not even entertain the idea of sacrificing caldara for bonucci

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
a little less necessary when you have a billion dollar team ahead of that defense. Other sides aren't really going to press you as aggressively when they will get cut to pieces if that press fails.

Would it be weakening our defense though? As I mentioned before Bonucci worked when he was a part of this team. I don't know how but it worked.
Seems to me like you have the solution but you don't know you have it. Improve the technical quality of the midfield, don't need a billion dollars for that.

And yes, it would be. But now were going in circles.

Anyway looks like its not happening so we can continue to enjoy his clown act at Milan another year :weee: what a great defender.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Seems to me like you have the solution but you don't know you have it. Improve the technical quality of the midfield, don't need a billion dollars for that.

And yes, it would be. But now were going in circles.

Anyway looks like its not happening so we can continue to enjoy his clown act at Milan another year :weee: what a great defender.
Fair enough, I too believe there is zero chance this actually happens.

Juventus 32

May 18, 2014
no thanks, rather take the 20 mill euros some stupid EPL club are prepared to pay and use it to improve the midfield rather than to be stuck with a leeching ungrateful piece of shit who will take a fair chunk on the wage bill
20mln damn! I didn't thought Stu could cost that much...in fact i was thinking we should pay some club just to take him :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

ucci ucci sento odore di Bonucci... @Mark what are the chances?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 465)