Where does he stand

• Legend

• Tuz Favorite

• Rookie

Results are only viewable after voting.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
Nobody was holding his hand when he was starting defender in our run to two CL finals. And before you say he needs 3 man D we werent playing that. He was clearly capable when part of a capable defense

Under valuing of bonucci cause he left is getting ridiculous.
If you have the ball, he's good. If you have the ball and he's playing as sweeper, even better.

Anything else and he's a negative.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Seems Juventus were prepared to bring back Bonucci, but not at the expense of Caldara. They were prepared to exchange players like Higuain, Pjaca or Sturaro. [Di Marzio
I wouldn't even give them Sturaro in exchange that's how much I'm against bonucci return. Matter of principle in the way he left us. Will he improve our 11? No I'd rather take the 20 mill for Sturaro any ways and put it towards a shiny midfielder that we really need

WΏΏdy?

Dec 23, 2005
So, am I ok to assume that everyone who is all up in arms in a negative fashion about Bonucci coming back, were also thrilled when we sold him last year at what was thought to be believed an incredibly low fee? For what many here, and around the world considered to be a Top Flight CB?

I just want to make sure. I want to make sure that there is some consistency here in a 12 month period.

And I am not saying this to advocate any sort of move for Bonucci coming back. I just find the turn around in a 12 month period to be nothing short of stunning.
I was only bothered by the price which wasn't incredible low but low (10-15mil loss maybe) not his departure. Can't speak of others. I was happy we sold him.

Also, the reaction to his price was also influenced by us selling Vidal at an incredibly low price a season before, so I hated us bending over when selling.

One thing no one can deny is he wasn't missed at all and if anything it was brilliant to get rid of a diva from the locker who's captain complex made him run to the nearest team who gave him the armband and made him the highest paid player.

Everything aside, simple fact is we don't need him or another defender. If we have resources to spend (money or players) then fix the actual problem and get a WC mid.

And let this ship jumping rat to rot in mediocrity while we are at it and watch him celebrate again if he manages to score against us again.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
If you have the ball, he's good. If you have the ball and he's playing as sweeper, even better.

Anything else and he's a negative.
True but he still did have a top class last season with us and it wasn't just on the ball. Though I acknowledge that was more exception to his time here than the norm.

Also if we put 40mil on Cancelo to play RB I'm assuming the plan for this season is to have the ball a lot more than we did last season and Bonucci would be a big help with that.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
So, am I ok to assume that everyone who is all up in arms in a negative fashion about Bonucci coming back, were also thrilled when we sold him last year at what was thought to be believed an incredibly low fee? For what many here, and around the world considered to be a Top Flight CB?

I just want to make sure. I want to make sure that there is some consistency here in a 12 month period.

And I am not saying this to advocate any sort of move for Bonucci coming back. I just find the turn around in a 12 month period to be nothing short of stunning.
Not many were thrilled including myself I always cited my concerns that we'd be over reliant on pjanic to play from the back making us predictable which at times I felt we were. But this for me is a matter of principle now... All that shit in the manner he left asking to leave, we even complied to meet his family wishes to remain in Italy knowing we'd had got a better price abroad, the way he tried to taunt us with his # status' scoring against us and celebrating it was the final straw for me. To expect us to simply forgive and forget just don't cut it regardless of his strengths and weaknesses. We all know how cannavaro round 2 panned out and not 1 fan I can imagine forgave him in the manner he left us the first time... bonucci's departure was certainly no better... No goodbye no message of gratitude. To bring him back seriously makes us look like the make a wish foundation, he made his bed he can go sleep in it

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I bet if you want back about a year ago to look at this thread when Bonucci was sold you see very few people happy about it. Calling him a shit defender, saying he was carried, or that they were glad to be rid of him.

Yes Bonucci has had a terrible season as has everyone affiliated with Milan.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
I bet if you want back about a year ago to look at this thread when Bonucci was sold you see very few people happy about it. Calling him a shit defender, saying he was carried, or that they were glad to be rid of him.

Yes Bonucci has had a terrible season as has everyone affiliated with Milan.
I think you are missing the fact that we have the benefit of hindsight

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
I don't disagree. But he is flawed and we have better. We don't need him, so fuck him
As pure defenders maybe but, looking at some of acquisitions we have made, maybe the plan is to play more aggressive, possession oriented football in a bid to finally win the Champions League rather getting spanked by Real again.

We played aggressively last season but were too poor technically, gave away the ball too much and it cost us in Europe. Bonucci helps in that regard.

Quetzalcoatl

It ain't hard to tell
Aug 22, 2007
As pure defenders maybe but, looking at some of acquisitions we have made, maybe the plan is to play more aggressive, possession oriented football in a bid to finally win the Champions League rather getting spanked by Real again.

We played aggressively last season but were too poor technically, gave away the ball too much and it cost us in Europe. Bonucci helps in that regard.
Our midfield is where the problem was, even the attack at times. Our defence was the least of our worries.

ALC

Ohaulick
Oct 28, 2010

The only reason we got spanked by Real was Ronaldo and we got him. We also got rid of Buffon who loves getting scored on by said player. I don’t think Bonucci is going to be the deciding factor.

However, he knows the team and the system so I wouldn’t be surprised if he got brought back but I started to dislike him ever since he went to Milan.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Our midfield is where the problem was, even the attack at times. Our defence was the least of our worries.
True, midfield was the worst but you are taking an overly simplified way of looking at it by viewing our turn overs in midfield as entirely the fault of the midfield three. Having a central defender that is a threat on the ball definitely helps out, there will be fewer turnovers in midfield if they are getting better service from deep and then there will be added hesitation for teams to high press a less shaky backline.

Teams last season could high press us into oblivion, Pjanic was frequently too far away to come deep and collect so when opposing attackers ran at us the ball would too often get pushed back to Buffon or hoofed aimlessly forward by a CB. Distribution out the back was very clearly a huge problem for us last season (hopefully the Pole helps) and Bonucci has the attributes to change that.

You may hate Bonucci but if you watched Juventus last season then you saw his distribution out the back was sorely missed. And for all the criticism people are leveling at him defensively, Bonucci - Chiellini of 2016-2017 was a way more solid defensive partnership than anything we had last season. We were crap at the back for long parts of last season, almost wouldn't know you were watching a Juventus team.

DAiDEViL

Feb 21, 2015

:agree:

He can basically act as 2nd playmaker from the back if Mire get's marked out of the game. Very helpful looking at the rather weak options we have in midfield in terms of making the game. On top of that he isn't that shite of a defender people make him out to be, if you don't play him in a suicidal high line that is.

- - - Updated - - -

True, midfield was the worst but you are taking an overly simplified way of looking at it by viewing our turn overs in midfield as entirely the fault of the midfield three. Having a central defender that is a threat on the ball definitely helps out, there will be fewer turnovers in midfield if they are getting better service from deep and then there will be added hesitation for teams to high press a less shaky backline.

Teams last season could high press us into oblivion, Pjanic was frequently too far away to come deep and collect so when opposing attackers ran at us the ball would too often get pushed back to Buffon or hoofed aimlessly forward by a CB. Distribution out the back was very clearly a huge problem for us last season (hopefully the Pole helps) and Bonucci has the attributes to change that.

You may hate Bonucci but if you watched Juventus last season then you saw his distribution out the back was sorely missed. And for all the criticism people are leveling at him defensively, Bonucci - Chiellini of 2016-2017 was a way more solid defensive partnership than anything we had last season. We were crap at the back for long parts of last season, almost wouldn't know you were watching a Juventus team.
Fairly easy to understand one would think.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
:agree:

He can basically act as 2nd playmaker from the back if Mire get's marked out of the game. Very helpful looking at the rather weak options we have in midfield in terms of making the game. On top of that he isn't that shite of a defender people make him out to be, if you don't play him in a suicidal high line that is.
He can be....dare I say it... the Regista of Defense :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 407)