Leeds selling out (4 Viewers)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
Great post mikhail .. are you a Leeds fan ?? Coz you seem to know/care much about them ..
I've never been a Leeds fan, which is not to say that I didn't admire them. They played a really entertaining brand of attacking, passing football, and they worked really hard off the ball.
Throw in the enormous Irish element of O'Leary, Keane, Kelly, Harte and McPhail, and you had me watching their games with interest.

I've read somewhere that the fans are very frustrated at Risdale and Terry .. they hung a 'For Sale' banner on a staute of a legend player who once played at Leeds but can't remember his name ..
Billy Bremner. He was a great midfielder for them in the seventies. He and Johnny Giles (ex-Ireland captain and manager) were a terror-inducing combination in the midfield. Think Edgar Davids gone mental and cloned.

For a funny perspective on the whole thing, check out:
http://www.laughfc.co.uk/stories/story.php?id=207

Risdale's last words after his press conference clarifying Woodgate's sale to Newcastle were:

Whatever the future holds I will always be a Leeds fan.
Did you hear his "we lived the dream" speach? Classic. What I can't understand is the number of players they've let go. People talk about O'Leary spending £100 million, but the actual figure is closer to £80 million, and they've recouped 95% of that in sales. In which case the problem must really lie in the wage structure, which means Ridsdale, and not O'Leary, must take the bulk of the blame for the clubs financial implosion.

Buy on AliExpress.com

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
People talk about O'Leary spending £100 million, but the actual figure is closer to £80 million, and they've recouped 95% of that in sales. In which case the problem must really lie in the wage structure, which means Ridsdale, and not O'Leary, must take the bulk of the blame for the clubs financial implosion.
I think Risdale is to blame. O'Leary wouldn't be able to spend that much without the approval of Risdale and the board in the first place. They were dreaming of reaching the semi-final of the champions league every year and earn big money. But that didn't happen, so they blamed o'Leary for that! They forgot that O'Leary was the man behind all the success, and graduated great players like Smith and Woodgate, all under his guidance. Terry is a good manager, but I believe Leeds would've been in a better position had O'Leary stayed on and continued with what he had left off in the last season.

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
Now Woodgate is gone. £9 million to Newcastle. Good riddance, but the core of the team that was leeds is gone. I agree that the "rotton apples" like Woodgate and Bowyer had to go (and should have gone the moment they were arrested), but I still feel that it's all the fault of the ever-crap El Tel.

- Terry Venables

This is an amazingly stupid statement. Dacourt's wages are high, and I can understand why the club would like to get that off their expenditure, but Tel has f*cked up horribly in two ways:
1. Dacourt is a great midfielder. His replacements (Bakke, McPhail) are good midfielders. To play them before Dacourt is a waste of talent in his playing staff.
2. By not playing Dacourt, they drive his value down, costing them money they can ill-afford to lose. A couple of years ago, Dacourt was valued (not totally unrealistically) at £15,000,000. They can knock off a zero now, and that's if they get anything for him.

Tel has switched to a 4-3-3. He just decided that, despite having two of the best wingers in England in Kewell and Bowyer (as he insisted on playing him) and an extreemly promising one in Milner, he shouldn't use them properly. Instead, while Kewell has finally become a major asset up front, he doesn't add anything more there than say Robbie Keane did, and Lee Bowyer struggled in his new role on the inside right. Also, his new-look midfield consisted of Barmby, Bakke and Bowyer. Barmby is also a winger (kind of). Certainly, he's not really a hard-tackling midfielder. So his now, with his stupid handling of Dacourt, Tel is left with no midfielders who can both tackle and pass. Naturally, and attacking guru like him has decided on the latter, at the expense of the former, so Leeds have to rely on the back-line and keeper to stop their defensive record from becomming a joke.

Back-line: Sold Rio. Profit: £15million. Cool. Now, to replace him. What do you mean there's no money? We just got £15 million cash. Woodgate? F*ck Woodgate - off to Newcastle if possible. Besides who's going to partner him? Radabe? He's a great defender, but gets injured when he turns corners. Whiel driving his car. Matteo? Okay. let's settle on Matteo and Woodgate. Not too happy with this, and zero quality cover, but maybe it'll hold. Provided we have good full-backs. The right is fine. Mills is a bit of a thug, but he's a good defender, and Gary Kelly might not be the player he was, but he's still good enough to start, let alone cover. Then we get to the left. Harte? Great World Cup he had - substituted in every game, finally ending in the ignomy of missing a penalty against Spain. His form hasn't recovered, or at least, it hasn't recovered enough, and his attacking play no longer justifys his selection. So, options? Dom Matteo? For heaven's sake, there's only one of him. And he's not that good to begin with.

Speaking of the World Cup, Robbie Keane had a great one, scoring against Saudi Arabia, Germany (90th minute equaliser) and Spain (89th minute equaliser). On form, suitable for the new right-forward role, or even the centre-forward one. Worth a bit of money.
Bought for £12,000,000. Sold for £6 million. To Spurs of all teams.
Robbie Fowler. Bought for £11,000,000, sold for £9,000,000 (I think).

So, what's left of the forwards? Viduka, Kewell, Smith and Bridges - to play a three-pronged attack. Bridges has spent most of the past two years injured and, being injured for the rest of the season, looks set to continue the trend. Smith has spent most of his career suspended. Viduka has spent his Leeds career overweight. And Kewell has spent his whole club career as as winger. Looks promising, I'm sure you'll agree.

And, last but not least, to the keepers. Two good ones. But why the hell is Martyn, who's on £40k/week, still at the club? He should have been let go long ago.

Leeds are a club in deep financial @!#$. They have a squald that was thin to begin with, and which stupidity at the chairman's level has only made worse. To make matters worse, the manager ignores his best players, plays them out of position, or sells them. And his new formation appears to be just that - a formation, because the players don't seem to have the foggiest how to play it.

At least Smith seems to care.
great article..totally agree..

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Any predictions on the Leeds - Man Utd. game tomorrow?

A year ago I would have been cheering on Leeds, hoping for some Kewell magic, or some Keane magic, or just a good team performance. Now I'd have to settle for Kewell scoring and United leaving too many gaps as they scramble for the equaliser. Or, at least I would, if I wasn't still sore about them fooling me into liking them for a while. ;)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
A few weeks can make a huge differance, can't they. Leeds are now managed by Peter Reid, possibly the only Premiership manager left who might actually get them religated. "Monkey-man", as he's affectionately known, has a big bonus lined up if only he can get 5 more points. :gasp:

Now Ridsdale has added to the confusion, finally falling on his sword, after the fans realised that he, and not O'Leary, was personally responsible for the demise of the club.

Let us not forget his achievements. He financed the builing of a team which could have won the European Cup had it been kept together long enough, having hired one of the brightest young mangers in England.

Then he fired same for failing to make the Champions' League, and hired an old has-been, selling half of his squad without consulting him, and then giving him no money to re-build it. Brian Clough used to say that any chairman who fired a manager he had himself hired should himself resign, as he shared the blame. He was right.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
It'd be fun, wouldn't it. :D They're usually too trigger-happy. Do you remember Nunez at Barca? I think he went through 6 managers in his first 6 seasons. He even fell out with Cruyff, and fired him :rolleyes:.

Jul 28, 2002
hey reidy in mo opinion is a top manager!!

ps ive never heard called monkey man??

neway, to the benifit of other tyeams, leeds selling will improve nearly all others....maybe we should take advantage :cool:

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by John #10 ] ++
hey reidy in mo opinion is a top manager!!

ps ive never heard called monkey man??

neway, to the benifit of other tyeams, leeds selling will improve nearly all others....maybe we should take advantage :cool:
Are you serious? Reid has had some impressive results - what he did at Sunderland was impressive, and I thought they were too quick to sack him, but he's tactically inflexable (and possibly inept) and shows a rediculous degree of loyalty to mediocre/crap players like Kevin Kilbane. He promotes a drinking culture in his clubs. About the last Premiership manager I'd hire.

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
I think Leeds will only be selling out if they get relegated to the Nationwide .. Players like Smith, Kewell, and Viduka are few of the highest earners in the Premeirship and with lower income (mainly due to T.V. rights) in the Nationwide, I reckon Leeds will find it hard to balance things out and hence the need to sell their top players .. they will get good money for them and more importantly get rid of paying their very high (astronomical?)wages ..

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
I've just posted an article in the transfers forum on the possibility (probability?) of Kewell being sold in the summer. The new chairman seems to want his wages off the books, and his transfer fee would be welcome too. Leeds can't stay up next year if they keep selling though.

Jul 28, 2002

Are you serious? Reid has had some impressive results - what he did at Sunderland was impressive, and I thought they were too quick to sack him, but he's tactically inflexable (and possibly inept) and shows a rediculous degree of loyalty to mediocre/crap players like Kevin Kilbane. He promotes a drinking culture in his clubs. About the last Premiership manager I'd hire.
i jus think hes a top guy , like one of ya dads mates :D

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
I think Leeds will only be selling out if they get relegated to the Nationwide .. Players like Smith, Kewell, and Viduka are few of the highest earners in the Premeirship and with lower income (mainly due to T.V. rights) in the Nationwide, I reckon Leeds will find it hard to balance things out and hence the need to sell their top players .. they will get good money for them and more importantly get rid of paying their very high (astronomical?)wages ..
great avatar mate!:cheesy:

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #40
    Do you think Leeds would have done better this season with O'Leary as coach?
    I think they would, if you look at the players they have after all the great players they have sold they should still be among the top 10 teams. The team they had was built for O'Learys type of play and not for Venables. Has Ridsdale given any explanation why he sacked O'Leary. I only remember that the papers said that he was sacked because Leeds wanted to sell Ferdinand and he was sold anyway.
    I think Reid can do something with this team, at least I hope so. His football philosophy should fit the players that are left in the club that once was in the semifinals of the Champions league.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)