Leeds selling out (1 Viewer)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
They won 6-1 away last weekend - crap teams don't do that. They started 9 players from their CL campaign a couple of years ago, 5 of whom were starters. (I heard these stats, so don't ask for names ;))

The team is still there, or at least enough of it to kick some ass in the Premiership. They could rebuild. Except...

They lack time. Time to rebuild before financial pressures rip what's left of the team apart. Time to prove that they're worth building on again.

Reid is okay. He can keep them up comfortably next year, providing they don't lose too much talent on the transfer market this summer. Kewell in particular seems destined to go elsewhere.

It's a pity. :down:

Buy on AliExpress.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Paranoia ] ++

not if the rest of the world stands to gain;)
True. It'd be nice to see Kewell lighting up a few games for a top team. Man Utd in particular may bite, or failing that, Liverpool.

The pity for me is not the loss for Leeds fo a few good players, but rather the loss of a great young entertaining team. Though I guess that started going away when O'Leary was fired.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Peter Reid is under pressure. Serious pressure. Second bottom of the league is not good enough. Not for him, not for the fans, not for the players and certainly not for Leeds' finances. If Leeds are... relegated... the drop will mean the club is doomed to implode under the weight of its own debts - a legacy of unbelievable mismanagement. As well as having debts close to £80million, Leeds this week announced losses for the past financial year of £49.5million - the worst set of results of any UK football club has ever reported.

Facing up to his responsibilities and publicly explaining the club's financial position Professor John McKenzie dropped one of the sound-bites of the year when he added a twist to the words of his predecessor, Peter Ridsdale, by saying: 'They lived the dream. I've inherited the nightmare.'

Indeed, for many people the excesses of 'P.Riddy' have become legend. From a wholly unnecessary fleet of company cars to an excessively expensive tropical fish habit Leeds United's largesse under Ridsdale seems evermore lunatic as time goes by. And while some Barnsley fans, where Ridsdale is now in charge, insist that Ridsdale has become the scapegoat for the actions of the whole Leeds United board, the buck must stop somewhere.

One of the most disturbing facts that came out of the announcement of Leeds' financial misery is that the club does not own some of its players. McKenzie has revealed that six of the star players bought while Ridsdale was in charge are not actually owned by the club but leased, along lines similar to a hire purchase agreement, from a from a third-party company.

Registered European Football Finance, a leasing company run by former Manchester City defender Ray Ranson, is owed £21.3 million by Leeds for players which it bought on the club's behalf. Taking the example of Viduka's £6million move form Celtic to Leeds, the Elland Road club stumped up nothing towards the deal, but instead used REFF to provide the money with the club in return agreeing to a scheme of monthly repayments.

The pitfalls in this sort of arrangement are huge. Not only are clubs tempted to exist far beyond their means and buy players they can't in reality afford, but they never actually own their assets and so never benefit when they are sold on.

Another equally distressing fact to emerge from Leeds' financial statement is that some of Leeds star players have effectively been mortgaged in order to raise cash for the club.

In the case of Leeds, failure to reach the lucrative Champions League meant it was crippling itself, not just on wages, the now ususal problem for clubs, but also on player repayments.

Even after the fire-sale of Rio Ferdinand, Jonathan Woodgate, Robbie Fowler, Robbie Keane, Lee Bowyer and Olivier Dacourt Leeds somehow managed to increase its wage bill to £56.6million, equal to 88 per cent of turnover - a particularly unhealthy ratio.

Full Article from Soccernet.com

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
One last thing:

Robbie Fowler is still searching for the third Premiership goal of his Manchester City career. Yet if the City board are wondering as to the wisdom of spending £6m in January on a striker whose waistline is only matched by his lucrative property portfolio (yup, Robbie doesn’t think he’s paid enough so he’s been branching out) at least there is a consolation: it emerged this week that Leeds will continue paying Fowler an annual salary of £600,000 until 2005. And at least Fowler is still trying to score for Citeh.

OP
Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #47
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    One last thing:

Robbie Fowler is still searching for the third Premiership goal of his Manchester City career. Yet if the City board are wondering as to the wisdom of spending £6m in January on a striker whose waistline is only matched by his lucrative property portfolio (yup, Robbie doesn’t think he’s paid enough so he’s been branching out) at least there is a consolation: it emerged this week that Leeds will continue paying Fowler an annual salary of £600,000 until 2005. And at least Fowler is still trying to score for Citeh.
    Well look who scored this afternoon. :)

gray

Apr 22, 2003
    I don't know why i never noticed this thread.

In reply to something said in the very first post... Rio was the only player who turned out to be class?!? And Kewell wasn't?! Call it Australian bias, but surely you'd rather have Kewell in your team than Rio :eek::groan:

Haha Leeds are so desperate for money, they slapped a $300,000 AUD fine on Viduka for showing up late to training :LOL:

OP
    Zambrotta

Zambrotta

Nov 16, 2001
  • Thread Starter #50
    Look at the dates dude. :)

I must say that I'm a bit disappointed in Rio, I thought he would become a new Stam for them.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    IMO Leeds doesnt hav anyone good to sell anymore. They have already sold kewell, Ferdinand and Bowyer, that as more or less all the class they had. Wel, except Alan Smith, I'd really want Moggi to buy Smith :D

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by GOAT ] ++
    IMO Leeds doesnt hav anyone good to sell anymore. They have already sold kewell, Ferdinand and Bowyer, that as more or less all the class they had. Wel, except Alan Smith, I'd really want Moggi to buy Smith :D
    He of the three goals last season?

Further sales have no real merit. Leeds are probably going to be religated sooner rather than later, and that will signal the financial implosion that will be the end of the club.

Their loan and mortage payments are far too much for any club outside the elite in football to handle.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Chelsea were in a lot of financial difficulty too. They had debts of £80,000,000, which Abramovic wiped out.

I guess the differance was that Leeds repayments are much tougher to make as they are to a lot of smaller loans - so there is a big flow of cash out, and also that they didn't own a lot of their assets.

Besides, Leeds were tainted by the trials of Bowyer and Woodgate. Why would Abramovic touch Leeds after that?

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
    Yeah, Putin arrested the richest man in Russia - quite a break from tradition, and if it signifies a shift in Russian government policy, Abramovic could be in a spot of bother.

Still, he can always defect to the west, and hide in Chelsea Village! ;)

Sep 28, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++
    Yeah, Putin arrested the richest man in Russia - quite a break from tradition, and if it signifies a shift in Russian government policy, Abramovic could be in a spot of bother.

Still, he can always defect to the west, and hide in Chelsea Village! ;)
    the bad thing is that putin arresteed him to nationalise jukos (his oil company)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)