Leandro Paredes - CM/DM - PSG (5 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronn

#TeamPestoFlies
May 3, 2012
And only 31 total games since 2015. You should include the whole injury history.
Didn’t mean to distort the narrative, but in things like injury the recency of the event gives more weight to it. Pogba missed only 29 games until 2019 and then his record started to explode.

Knowah

Pool's Closed Due to Aids
Jan 28, 2013
Didn’t mean to distort the narrative, but in things like injury the recency of the event gives more weight to it. Pogba missed only 29 games until 2019 and then his record started to explode.
Hopefully it was just a one year thing. Never can be too careful with the record we've had recently.

May 26, 2016
Have never watched him....is he any good?
As an Argentinian i feel i can bring some input but make of it what you will:

Paredes was highly rated since his days at Boca.

In fact, he was tipped to be the great successor to Mascherano and many saw him as the perfect replacement for him in the national team at that time. Nedless to say he didnt become that.

At Roma he did well and established himself as an important player of the squad: i remember i wanted us to bring him to Juve at that time, but well yeah, thats 7 years ago.

I cant remember why Roma sold him to Zenit , but im pretty sure it was because of economical problems, not because they wanted to get rid of him. He was doing well for them so i think they valued him there.

I didnt follow him in the Russian league, maybe RUS could have given some input if he still was here lol.....

At PSG he became a captain, but its hard to evaluate him in that team due to their dominance of their domestic league and unbalanced opposition.

What i will say is that he is a tidy player, with a good passing range and a good tackler.

His technique on the ball is above average, which is expected from your typical Argentinian midfielder.

He is also a yellow card magnet, but considering the complete pussification of our midfield the last years, i dont really see this as a negative tbh.

However he comes with certain limitations that are important to note:

He relies on passing the ball to other players that can carry it into offensive territory : what i mean by that is that you should manage your expectations when it comes to his ball carrying skills:

He is not a player that will break trough offensive lines and start attacks: he is more the type of player that lays the foundation for others to that with his distribution. Maybe thats to be expected due to his position, but its a pretty important detail imo as we currently struggle with exactly this aspect in our attacking patterns.

In Argentina the current player that he relies upon and has this role has been De Paul.

In PSG that player has been Veratti, with a couple of variations like Draxler

My hope is that Locatelli will be this player in Juve and that he can benefit from Paredes and be pushed further up the field.

As we saw from the Samp game: Locatelli is not suited to play the role that Paredes does at all, so this might be a good thing for us.

All in all my conclusion is that this is a decent transfer, but expectations should be managed.

He will definitely improve our ability to control the tempo of games and contain possession, but its not going to make huge contributions to our attacking patterns alone.

We had a shit ton of possesion against Samp, but in the end it was useless, because we completely failed to link the midfield to the attack. Paredes wont fix this alone.

I think we still rely massively on Pogba/locatelli to glue our midfield with our attack anyways, and thats where the real question should be asked:

Will Paredes help them operate more freely and free up their defensive duties: the short answer is yes.

All in all a decent transfer, but as i said: his success here will rely on a bigger picture and more than just him.

Paredes will do what he usually does without massively changing games.

I think this video gives a good understanding of how he operates as a player and i would recommend give it a watch:

Maybe this is overkill but its my assesment of him and the transfer in its complete form.

Hope you find it useful.

cimenk

Jul 23, 2008
And only 31 total games since 2015. You should include the whole injury history.
Latest records which means last year have more weight as consideration. His last year injury records, big salary, and transfer movement from PSG are several reason he is deemed as surplus in PSG.

Allegri might need him for his strategy but obligation to buy for 15m and high salary make this signing a big risk. We should negotiate better for other clubs surplus player. I hope it still option, not obligation and the wage is not more than 4m

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013

In fact, he was tipped to be the great successor to Mascherano and many saw him as the perfect replacement for him in the national team at that time. Nedless to say he didnt become that.

At Roma he did well and established himself as an important player of the squad: i remember i wanted us to bring him to Juve at that time, but well yeah, thats 7 years ago.

I cant remember why Roma sold him to Zenit , but im pretty sure it was because of economical problems, not because they wanted to get rid of him. He was doing well for them so i think they valued him there.

I didnt follow him in the Russian league, maybe RUS could have given some input if he still was here lol.....

At PSG he became a captain, but its hard to evaluate him in that team due to their dominance of their domestic league and unbalanced opposition.

What i will say is that he is a tidy player, with a good passing range and a good tackler.

His technique on the ball is above average, which is expected from your typical Argentinian midfielder.

He is also a yellow card magnet, but considering the complete pussification of our midfield the last years, i dont really see this as a negative tbh.

He relies on passing the ball to other players that can carry it into offensive territory : what i mean by that is that you should manage your expectations when it comes to his ball carrying skills:

He is not a player that will break trough offensive lines and start attacks: he is more the type of player that lays the foundation for others to that with his distribution. Maybe thats to be expected due to his position, but its a pretty important detail imo as we currently struggle with exactly this aspect in our attacking patterns.

In Argentina the current player that he relies upon and has this role has been De Paul.

My hope is that Locatelli will be this player in Juve and that he can benefit from Paredes and be pushed further up the field.

As we saw from the Samp game: Locatelli is not suited to play the role that Paredes does at all, so this might be a good thing for us.

All in all my conclusion is that this is a decent transfer, but expectations should be managed.

He will definitely improve our ability to control the tempo of games and contain possession, but its not going to make huge contributions to our attacking patterns alone.

We had a shit ton of possesion against Samp, but in the end it was useless, because we completely failed to link the midfield to the attack. Paredes wont fix this alone.

I think we still rely massively on Pogba/locatelli to glue our midfield with our attack anyways, and thats where the real question should be asked:

Will Paredes help them operate more freely and free up their defensive duties: the short answer is yes.

All in all a decent transfer, but as i said: his success here will rely on a bigger picture and more than just him.

I think this video gives a good understanding of how he operates as a player and i would recommend give it a watch:

Maybe this is overkill but its my assesment of him and the transfer in its complete form.

Hope you find it useful.
Fantastic post. Thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Juve pjanic cus he wasn't the player he was at roma for us imo . He always had this im going lose the ball and cost us a goal look about him for us
What. Pjanic had his best year at Juve by far. 16-17 he was an absolute beast. Go watch him in our CL matches that year. That was the best season of his career and on the biggest stage. 17-18 was also very good from him.

Last edited:

Karim30

Allegri is back, life is back.
May 6, 2012

Hope you find it useful.
So vertical passes+tackles. I take it.

JuelzSantana

Sep 28, 2017

Hope you find it useful.
Great post.

Regarding technique, we´ve had guys in that position the last years who simply cannot receive the ball close to our box under pressure, with Bentacur being the horror example. It was either a bad touch, stripped of the ball way too easy or simple giveaway. Locatelli hasn´t been impressive in both our games this season either.

To finally have a guy who is comfortable in that area with the required technical abilities + decent passing range is a step forward. We struggle to beat the high press from the fullback positions and down the middle. At least now we´ve upgraded the middle.

Scottish

Zebrastreifenpferd
Mar 13, 2011

Hope you find it useful.
Re útil, gracias botija.

Sounds like this is a classic case of a guy who in the right circumstances and system could be really useful. It looks like Max sees him as the perfect guy to make our system tick, and that his system will get the maximum out of Paredes. That doesn't mean he's coming to be our best player, but that his strengths are what Max wants in a guy in his role, and that role is key.

If he's gonna be available to receive possession from the CBs and then pass it to Pogba or Locatelli (or to the wingers) to carry forward then for me that *is* exactly what we didn't have on Monday and the most important hole to fill in our team.

How well his best attributes will shine in his time here is up to Max and its up to our training and physio staff to keep him and everybody else fit enough to play together. There are a lot of "ifs" in this squad, and he's one more. So far pretty well zero of our "ifs" have worked out in our favour, surely our bad luck will run out soon :shifty:

I'm happy with this signing. I think he'll prove really useful this year.

Rockets

Jul 26, 2022

Hope you find it useful.
Informative post. progressive pass and play in front the defence to control the pace in build-up phase, something we really need.

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
Re útil, gracias botija.

Sounds like this is a classic case of a guy who in the right circumstances and system could be really useful. It looks like Max sees him as the perfect guy to make our system tick, and that his system will get the maximum out of Paredes. That doesn't mean he's coming to be our best player, but that his strengths are what Max wants in a guy in his role, and that role is key.

If he's gonna be available to receive possession from the CBs and then pass it to Pogba or Locatelli (or to the wingers) to carry forward then for me that *is* exactly what we didn't have on Monday and the most important hole to fill in our team.

How well his best attributes will shine in his time here is up to Max and its up to our training and physio staff to keep him and everybody else fit enough to play together. There are a lot of "ifs" in this squad, and he's one more. So far pretty well zero of our "ifs" have worked out in our favour, surely our bad luck will run out soon :shifty:

I'm happy with this signing. I think he'll prove really useful this year.
You being too positive.

Instead you should listen to @Bianconero81 call him Parepiss or whatever other silly name is flavour of the day and call him complete trash while probably having seen him play less than a half-dozen times ever.

And then join the Tuz-wide meltdown. :dule:

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007

Hope you find it useful.
this is what arthur is, or is supposed to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)