"La Juve ha preferito Del Piero" - Miccoli (1 Viewer)

Jeannette

Aug 16, 2004
but I don't really see what Miccoli is so sorely lacking compared to Del Piero
And who says that he lacks sth so sorely. Miccoli is a good player for sure, but I don't have to love him. There are a bunch of players, who are good, but still I don't like them and therefore can't see their true talent.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
oh, i wasn't addressing you directly, but people are saying that choosing Del Piero over Miccoli wasn't just because he's a fan favourite, but also a much better footballer, which he clearly hasn't proved.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Beckham case is different because he hasnt got a brain to know how hit the ball to the right. Oh, I see that his unique way to shooting ball means that it is natural for him to strike the ball that way.

I cant see anyone beside Beckham doing that.

Anyway, I do think taking a penalty is a skill but more mental than technical one IMO. The key is being able to stay calm under pressure, and Alex is better at those than most. And I see no reason why Micco can't take penalties - He is audacious and technically good.

Majed

Jul 17, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++
Beckham case is different because he hasnt got a brain to know how hit the ball to the right. Oh, I see that his unique way to shooting ball means that it is natural for him to strike the ball that way.

I cant see anyone beside Beckham doing that.

Anyway, I do think taking a penalty is a skill but more mental than technical one IMO . The key is being able to stay calm under pressure, and Alex is better at those than most. And I see no reason why Micco can't take penalties - He is audacious and technically good.
interesting point Jun, and I agree, but dont you see the anomaly? DP often (very often nowadays) collapses under high pressure. Most of his problems are mental!

Togon

Nov 2, 2003
++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++
oh, i wasn't addressing you directly, but people are saying that choosing Del Piero over Miccoli wasn't just because he's a fan favourite, but also a much better footballer, which he clearly hasn't proved .
First of all:

How on earth can you say that Del Piero should prove himself???

May you should say: "DP should prove, he still can play as he played before the last season", or something like that. But suggesting that our teams Captain, player of the club since 1993, should prove that he is better, than Miccoli the 25 years old prospect, com'on you must be joking.

I think no matter how bad Del Piero can get, Miccoli wont be even half the player Alex was at the same age. Miccoli should have prove that he is enough for the job of being the number ten of the team, and he couldnt do that so far (I know, it wasnt only his fault). As the talks goes on about this two, DP starts to look as a crap, while Miccoli is becoming better and better by every post,.If this tendency goes on soon he will be missed because his superb heading ability (far better than DP's, of course).

In fact, compering what they achieved some obvious differences occour (and not for the advance of Fabricio):

When Micco was 18, he debuted in serie-C, while DP was 17, he debuted in serie-b. When DP turned 19 he debuted in serie-a, in the jersey of juventus and scored 5 goals in 11 games, when Micco turned 19 he debuted also, but in serie-b 30 matches 1 goal. When Micco turned 23 he finally played his first match in serie-a in the colours of Perugia 34/9, at this age DP played 32 matches and scored 21 and won the scudetto second time (followed by another 3).

btw that time he was alread the winner of:
1 Scudetto: 1994/95
1 Coppa Campioni: 1995/96
1 Coppa Intercontinentale: 1996
1 Supercoppa Europea: 1996
1 Coppa Italia: 1994/1995
2 Supercoppe Italiane: 1995, 1997

If there's any italian born youngster who shows the same talent as Alex got, than it's imo not Miccoli, maybe Cassano.

Fabricio Miccoli
born: 1979

1995/96 Casarano C1 0 0
1996/97 Casarano C1 29 8
1997/98 Casarano C1 30 11
1998/99 Ternana B 30 1
1999/00 Ternana B 33 9
2000/01 Ternana B 23 7
2001/02 Ternana B 34 15
2002/03 Perugia A 34 9
2003/04 Juventus A 19 7

Alessandro Del Piero
born: 1974

1991/92 Padova B 4 -
1992/93 Padova B 10 1
1993/94 Juventus A 11 5
1994/95 Juventus A 29 8
1995/96 Juventus A 29 6
1996/97 Juventus A 22 8
1997/98 Juventus A 32 21
1998/99 Juventus A 8 2
1999/00 Juventus A 34 9
2000/01 Juventus A 25 9
2001/02 Juventus A 32 16
2002/03 Juventus A 24 16
2003/04 Juventus A 22 8

Sep 28, 2002
quick reply to del piero bashers:

del piero replaced baggio rightl. now he sucks, why didnt miccoli replace del piero? simple: he's NOT GOOD ENOUGH!!!
when someone will reach the level of del piero in those days, i dont have many doubts, ale will be the first one to go.

KB824

Sep 16, 2003
I'm going to say this, on the record, and coming from me, this will floor some of you, so make sure you have some padding.

Alessandro Del Piero will have a comeback season this year. You can book it, as they say in Boston.

The arrival of Ibrahimovic will revitalize him and re-energize him this year. You can alrready start to see semblances of past glory with DP in the last CL match. Zlatan will be able to take so much pressure off of him, becuase if needed, Zlatan can be the one to push the ball up into the attacking zone, and you know that no one single defender is going to be able to displace him of the ball, thereby leaving Del Piero to roam freely basically wherever he wants, this time with only one defender on him. Remember, Del Piero can still pass, and if opposing teams are foolish enough to double team him this time around, all he has to do is look for the Oak Tree in the middle of the box that is currently making the keeper pee all over himself. Let's not forget an upgraded midfield as well will do wonders, with our own Gattuso type player in Blasi being the bully that we need, and Nedved and Emerson causing havoc as well.

Don't be shocked if this is his renaissance year. After which, we can capitalize on it and make beaucoup money selling him of to Chelsea.:D

Roman

-'Tuz Fantasy Master-
Apr 19, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Sergio ] ++
I'm going to say this, on the record, and coming from me, this will floor some of you, so make sure you have some padding.

Alessandro Del Piero will have a comeback season this year. You can book it, as they say in Boston.

The arrival of Ibrahimovic will revitalize him and re-energize him this year. You can alrready start to see semblances of past glory with DP in the last CL match. Zlatan will be able to take so much pressure off of him, becuase if needed, Zlatan can be the one to push the ball up into the attacking zone, and you know that no one single defender is going to be able to displace him of the ball, thereby leaving Del Piero to roam freely basically wherever he wants, this time with only one defender on him. Remember, Del Piero can still pass, and if opposing teams are foolish enough to double team him this time around, all he has to do is look for the Oak Tree in the middle of the box that is currently making the keeper pee all over himself. Let's not forget an upgraded midfield as well will do wonders, with our own Gattuso type player in Blasi being the bully that we need, and Nedved and Emerson causing havoc as well.

Don't be shocked if this is his renaissance year. After which, we can capitalize on it and make beaucoup money selling him of to Chelsea.:D
If this one will happen it is a dream come true!(Besides the selling to CHelsea part maybe...:D)
i want it so much...what a team it can be...

OP
Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #136
    ++ [ originally posted by Zlatan ] ++
    He missed the penalty against Deportivo that would have seen us go through to the next round.
    Yeah... the penalty he earned himself btw. And he played a great match in which he gave three or four sitters to Trezeguet, who missed all. You simply CAN'T blame Del Piero for that game.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #137
    ++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

Some will say, "so what? it was Hierro", but that was sheer class :thumb:
    He ended Hierro's career with that move.

OP
    Seven

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
  • Thread Starter #139
    ++ [ originally posted by gray ] ++

What's wrong with Miccoli's penalty taking? The man's cool enough to score 3 in a row, IIRC Del Piero missed his second penalty when ordered to take it again. Not to take away from Del Piero at all, I think he's the best penalty taker in the world... but I don't really see what Miccoli is so sorely lacking compared to Del Piero
    Class, Miccoli lacks class. Miccoli wouldn't have won the game against Real for us. Miccoli has everything that Del Piero has, but less of it. He's just a tad bit less talented. And to be Juve's no.10 you need to be the best. Which Del Piero was and Miccoli will never be. If you have to chose between someone who can be the best again and someone who will always be good, but never the best, it's logical you choose the first one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)