Kwadwo Asamoah (18 Viewers)

Klin

نحن الروبوتات
May 27, 2009
Anyone can be crushed in a game or over a tie, especially a team essentially in its CL debut season.

Not that Bayern really crushed us, they just took advantage of certain moments and had better attacking options.
Come on. We were clueless against them.

Not that it wasn't expected at that stage, but let's be realistic here.

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007

indeed. sure, their 2 goals came out of nowehere, but juve didnt demonstrate in 180 mintues it could do anything to threaten bayern at all.

and the 2 things that were major factors in that haven't been fixed.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007

We made a couple off individual errors and our mediocre attack cost us, in particular when Vucinic missed the first leg and we had to play the dreadful Quag-Matri duo.

I didn't see us crushed, unless you just go by the scoreline. If we're going to be realistic we should also add some context.

- - - Updated - - -

indeed. sure, their 2 goals came out of nowehere, but juve didnt demonstrate in 180 mintues it could do anything to threaten bayern at all.

and the 2 things that were major factors in that haven't been fixed.
What were the 2 things?

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
wingbacks that can beat their man

formation experiments in preseason.

let me tell you somethign hilarious when we were playing bayern. juve does it's typical routine right? pass the ball to barzagli/chiellini then to litch/asa and build play from there. just the usual juve routine.

so what does bayern do? they press the hell out of asa and litch and build up play doesnt work, whi results in a goal kick again to us.

so what does buffon? the same thing over and over, like somehow magically asa and litch are going to learn to dribble.

i blame conte

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
There are no teams that rely on their wingbacks to beat their men in midfield to relieve pressure.

Our problem was our striking partnership being 2 fantastically limited players who could do nothing to come back to the ball and retain possession. Any ball aimed forward was a lost cause so we had to always go to the wings who were being pressed.

That was really our problem all of last year when teams pressed us. The 3-5-2 offers problems when being pressed because we have 3 CBs and a regista all way behind the ball. We can get pinned back deep. It's not fair to blame the wingbacks for not bringing the ball up the field. If you give the ball to someone like Coentrao with his back to the touchline and tell him to beat Philip Lahm and ignite our attack, well, the results will be the same.

athas

Jul 15, 2007

let me tell you somethign hilarious when we were playing bayern. juve does it's typical routine right? pass the ball to barzagli/chiellini then to litch/asa and build play from there. just the usual juve routine.

so what does bayern do? they press the hell out of asa and litch and build up play doesnt work, whi results in a goal kick again to us.

so what does buffon? the same thing over and over, like somehow magically asa and litch are going to learn to dribble.

i blame conte
Nah, Conte already fixed that during the past season, with Bonucci pushing higher to share playmaking play with Pirlo, Marchisio and Vidal making runs to free space. Sometimes even Chiellini and Barzagli pushing up to take the ball. The problems agains Bayern M is Juve have no player upfront can keep the ball and splash the good pass, when Pirlo is heavy marked.

Justinian

Aug 21, 2013

i blame conte
We have Tevez now. In a similar situation tevez could be called on begin his runs from a deeper position, picking up the ball from either Lichts on the flank or our more central midfielders. It is a tall order to find wingbacks who can both dribble and play good defense. short of a formation switch, the deep-lying second striker is the way to go. Conte knows this

- - - Updated - - -

There are no teams that rely on their wingbacks to beat their men in midfield to relieve pressure.

Our problem was our striking partnership being 2 fantastically limited players who could do nothing to come back to the ball and retain possession. Any ball aimed forward was a lost cause so we had to always go to the wings who were being pressed.

That was really our problem all of last year when teams pressed us. The 3-5-2 offers problems when being pressed because we have 3 CBs and a regista all way behind the ball. We can get pinned back deep. It's not fair to blame the wingbacks for not bringing the ball up the field. If you give the ball to someone like Coentrao with his back to the touchline and tell him to beat Philip Lahm and ignite our attack, well, the results will be the same.
:toast:

Lion

King of Tuz
Jan 24, 2007
do you guys expect tevez to dribble past 4 players every time?

here is another complaint, when building play our strikers almost always play with their backs to goal. That might work with a big striker like llorente, but with tevez and vucinic it wont.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
do you guys expect tevez to dribble past 4 players every time?

here is another complaint, when building play our strikers almost always play with their backs to goal. That might work with a big striker like llorente, but with tevez and vucinic it wont.
I agree with this. But this is more our problem against good teams that press than our wingbacks IMO. That was what I was trying to say basically.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
Why can't it work with Tevez?

He's a strong player and he understand how to position his body to protect the ball so that all a defender can do is foul him.

You don't need to be a big guy to play with your back to goal - you just need a good first touch and an awareness of how to position yourself.

All Tevez would need is a slightly higher quality of ball into him than Llorente would.

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008

He's a strong player and he understand how to position his body to protect the ball so that all a defender can do is foul him.

You don't need to be a big guy to play with your back to goal - you just need a good first touch and an awareness of how to position yourself.

All Tevez would need is a slightly higher quality of ball into him than Llorente would.
I think the problem comes from our strikers having to sprint back towards our defense when we're being pressed. When the opposition is playing passively, it's easy for them to receive the ball, Mirko does it all the time.

But there are games in particular like Lazio in the Coppa, Bayern, Fiorentina, Inter, Celtic (at times) where the opposition is pressing and our backline + Pirlo is very deep creating a huge gap between them and the strikers. Then it's basically a race for the ball between our strikers and the CBs who are running through their backs. It's very uncomfortable for a striker to play like that IMO and so hard to get it right.

I think that's why Conte tinkered with that 3-5-1-1 at the end of the year.

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
Definitely thats our MAJOR weakness. It doesnt even was our 4 strikers being crap-.... it was because the whole team got shattered by the heavy pressing.

I have noticed that ANY team that press us trouble us greatly...and when that team has quality on attack.. is a death sentence for us.

Yes we all know our strikers last season were not top notch... but in that bayern game they barely came into play because Pirlo dissapeared with the rest of the mids.

Almost all the game was played in our third of the field... and that creates heavy pressure on our defenders...and almost zero chance of our forwards to create something when they have to come sooo deep to get a ball and dont have the quality nor the support of the midfielders to get the ball to the other side of the field. Of course, when o top of that, your forwards are innefective.... well u get smashed 4-0 on aggregate.

Now im hoping that 2 things will happen if we face another situation like that:

1- Conte already studied the situation and will propose a counter to it
and 2- With the presence of Tevez, we will be able to put that extra man in our mid to recover balls and create some counters from there.

I doubt we will change the 352... but we need to do something about this.

gray

Apr 22, 2003

:agree: even Vucinic is deceptively strong and good at holding the ball with his back to goal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 18)