Kiev crisis / Euromaidan (13 Viewers)

Nzoric

Grazie Mirko
Jan 16, 2011
I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to clean that up.

Any situation where government forces are firing live ammunition against civilians is a messed up one, it's a real shame against Yanukovych and his allies.
That depends, are the civilians shooting their own guns? If so it would be idiotic for the police to try and club them - wouldn't you say?

Buy on AliExpress.com

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
how is Russia loving this raz?? as for the eastern part of Ukraine well i honestly don't know the answer to that ( with regards to it being part of Russia) however i know from the history course i am currently taking that the first Russia was actually started in Kiev ( oleg) and it was actually the first capital of Russia long before there was Moscow ( it was Novgorod and Kiev in the 9th century) and Russia cant reclaim Ukraine... off course the Russians want to control Ukraine i am not naive to think other wise. off course Russia is mingling there because of Ukraine's strategic importance to Russia as a buffer between Russia and the EU its not like the relationship between the two is built on trust. oh and the EU are not in this for the good of the Ukrainians they too stand to gain so both parties the EU and Russia have there own interests and both parties don't care about what the people of Ukraine want.

You shouldn't blindly believe all they teach you in Russia.

Kiev was never a capital of "first" Russia. There was state called Kievan Rus (it wasn't even created by Slavs, it was made by Swedes. Even the word RUS comes from the Northmen and so did the first Kievan Rurikovich dynasty) and it was destroyed by Mongols. After this the Rus split into many smaller states and Duchy of Moscow was one of them. The name Russia didn't exist till late 17th century but by then Russians were nothing like Ukrainians. Russians were mostly influenced by their Mongol overlords (for centuries) while Ukrainians were mostly a part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Russians as a nation have little in common with Kievan Rus unlike Ukrainians, but Russia always loved to claim things that were never theirs.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005

Kiev was never a capital of "first" Russia. There was state called Kievan Rus (it wasn't even created by Slavs, it was made by Swedes. Even the word RUS comes from the Northmen and so did the first Kievan Rurikovich dynasty) and it was destroyed by Mongols. After this the Rus split into many smaller states and Duchy of Moscow was one of them. The name Russia didn't exist till late 17th century but by then Russians were nothing like Ukrainians. Russians were mostly influenced by their Mongol overlords (for centuries) while Ukrainians were mostly a part of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. Russians as a nation have little in common with Kievan Rus unlike Ukrainians, but Russia always loved to claim things that were never theirs.
Well that seems more in depth :D Oh and damn with the polish-lithuanian commonwealth! :p

Though Ukraine as far as i know has nothing to do with polish-lithuanian commonwealth, belarus was the furthest it got when the polish-lithuania commonwealth was in place.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
That depends, are the civilians shooting their own guns? If so it would be idiotic for the police to try and club them - wouldn't you say?
I'm not judging, I'm saying it's messed up either way, to reach that situation. I've seen what the police have suffered.

radekas

( ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)
Aug 26, 2009
Well that seems more in depth :D Oh and damn with the polish-lithuanian commonwealth! :p

Though Ukraine as far as i know has nothing to do with polish-lithuanian commonwealth, belarus was the furthest it got when the polish-lithuania commonwealth was in place.

Ukraine was a major part of the Commonwealth. Until 16th century most of the present-day Ukraine was in its borders and so was Belarus.

This is the greatest extend of it. Also Ukraine or Ruthenia (like it was called back in the day) was almost made a 3rd party of the Commonwealth which would be known as the Polish-Lithuanian-Ruthenian Commonwealth. Ukraine played a much bigger part then Belarus who had 0 national identity back then.

Ocelot

Midnight Marauder
Jul 13, 2013
I wouldn't want to be the guy who has to clean that up.

Any situation where government forces are firing live ammunition against civilians is a messed up one, it's a real shame against Yanukovych and his allies.
The problem is thar most of the people currently holding the square are not the initial protestors, but mostly right wing milizias who openly call their members to arms against the police and official authority.
Thats not to say that the current leadership isn't autocratic and oppressive, but it's also hard to support the occupants of Maidan.

Anyways, Janukowitsch seems to have somewhat given in a little bit. Timoschenko is set to come free, and elections are to be held sooner than previously planned.

Bisco

Nov 21, 2005

Thank you for clearing that up for me :) I know all this and it's pretty much what the " Russians" are teaching me in history class. No one says Ukraine belonged to Russia or what not. I understand some people don't like Russia but to portray it as the only evil is naive.

Jul 2, 2006
Deposed Ukrainian president vows fightback

Fugitive Viktor Yanukovich pledges to fight for his country's future, calling current parliament illegitimate.

Deposed Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich has said he was forced from power by pro-Fascist forces and blamed the Ukraine’s crisis on the West for "indulging" protesters seeking his ouster.

Yanukovich told reporters on Friday that he would not give up the fight for his country's future, denouncing the new authorities in Ukraine as "young neo-fascists".

“Nobody overthrew me, I was forced to leave Ukraine because of imminent threat to my life and family,” he said in the southern Russian city of Rostov-on-Don in his first public appearance for almost a week, adding that he would return to Ukraine once he received international safety guarantees.

Yanukovich said that Ukraine's current parliament is illegitimate, voting under pressure from EuroMaiden "militants".

"Power was taken by nationalists, fascists youngsters who are the absolute minority of Ukraine," he said in the news conference.

He blamed the "irresponsible policies" of the West for the crisis in the country and said "terror and chaos" were now prevailing in the country.

"This is the result of the irresponsible policies of the West, which was supporting the Maidan,” Yanukovich said, referring to the square in Kiev where anti-government demonstrations have taken place over the past three months.

He said lawlessness and chaos had followed an agreement he signed with his opponents last Friday, which was brokered by the European Union and was intended to end three months of crisis.

He added that he had been "compelled to leave" Ukraine after he received threats to his security and apologised "to the Ukrainian people" for not having had more strength to endure the situation.

Yanukovich said that he has not met Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, after leaving Ukraine, adding that they spoke on the phone and agreed to meet soon.

Call on Crimeans

Yanikovich also called on the Crimeans to not to let the bloodshed happen in the region, where unidentified armed men have taken over two airports and some state buildings.

Two Crimean airports - the main international airport of Simferapol and a military airfield in Sevastopol - have been taken over by what the Ukrainian Interior Minister Arsen Avakov claimed to be members of the Russian Federation Fleet, according to a statement he posted on his Facebook account.

The Russian Black Sea Fleet issued a statement denying the accusation and insisted its forces had not seized or taken any other action at a military airport near Sevastopol, the port on Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula where the fleet is based, Interfax news agency reported.

the Ukrainian parliament, which voted days ago to oust President Yanukovich, has called for a UN Security Council meeting to discuss developments in Crimea.

Ukraine's interim government has issued an arrest warrant for Yanukovich, accusing him of being responsible for the deaths of at least 70 protesters on February 21 protests in Kiev.

Al Jazeera and agencies

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
Deposed Ukrainian president vows fightback

Fugitive Viktor Yanukovich pledges to fight for his country's future, calling current parliament illegitimate.

Deposed Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovich has said he was forced from power by pro-Fascist forces and blamed the Ukraine’s crisis on the West for "indulging" protesters seeking his ouster.

Yanukovich told reporters on Friday that he would not give up the fight for his country's future, denouncing the new authorities in Ukraine as "young neo-fascists".

“Nobody overthrew me, I was forced to leave Ukraine because of imminent threat to my life and family,” he said in the southern Russian city of Rostov-on-Don in his first public appearance for almost a week, adding that he would return to Ukraine once he received international safety guarantees.

Yanukovich said that Ukraine's current parliament is illegitimate, voting under pressure from EuroMaiden "militants".

"Power was taken by nationalists, fascists youngsters who are the absolute minority of Ukraine," he said in the news conference.

He blamed the "irresponsible policies" of the West for the crisis in the country and said "terror and chaos" were now prevailing in the country.

"This is the result of the irresponsible policies of the West, which was supporting the Maidan,” Yanukovich said, referring to the square in Kiev where anti-government demonstrations have taken place over the past three months.

He said lawlessness and chaos had followed an agreement he signed with his opponents last Friday, which was brokered by the European Union and was intended to end three months of crisis.

He added that he had been "compelled to leave" Ukraine after he received threats to his security and apologised "to the Ukrainian people" for not having had more strength to endure the situation.

Yanukovich said that he has not met Vladimir Putin, the Russian president, after leaving Ukraine, adding that they spoke on the phone and agreed to meet soon.

Call on Crimeans

Yanikovich also called on the Crimeans to not to let the bloodshed happen in the region, where unidentified armed men have taken over two airports and some state buildings.

Two Crimean airports - the main international airport of Simferapol and a military airfield in Sevastopol - have been taken over by what the Ukrainian Interior Minister Arsen Avakov claimed to be members of the Russian Federation Fleet, according to a statement he posted on his Facebook account.

The Russian Black Sea Fleet issued a statement denying the accusation and insisted its forces had not seized or taken any other action at a military airport near Sevastopol, the port on Ukraine's Crimean Peninsula where the fleet is based, Interfax news agency reported.

the Ukrainian parliament, which voted days ago to oust President Yanukovich, has called for a UN Security Council meeting to discuss developments in Crimea.

Ukraine's interim government has issued an arrest warrant for Yanukovich, accusing him of being responsible for the deaths of at least 70 protesters on February 21 protests in Kiev.

Al Jazeera and agencies
It's kind of hard to paint your adversaries as evil faceless nobodies when one of them is the heavyweight champion of the world.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)