Juventuz.com Donations (New server) (2 Viewers)

OP
Marty

Marty

tuz
Administrator
Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #43
    Another 2.5 hours of downtime this afternoon. Guess I can't stress the new for a new server enough. :p

OP
    Marty

Marty

tuz
    Administrator
    Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #47
    It shouldn't take too long to move it over, the site isn't that big.

Repairing database now, it might be a little slow.

OP
    Marty

Marty

tuz
    Administrator
    Jul 2, 2005
  • Thread Starter #48
    It shouldn't take too long to move it over, the site isn't that big.

Repairing database now, it might be a little slow.

Zlatan

Jun 9, 2003
    . is a "point", also called "the decimal point". That's really all you need to know. The fact that a comma is used instead in other locales is really neither here nor there.
    The decimal point signifies the symbol used to separate the decimals from the other digits, doesnt mean it's necessarily a dot everywhere, can be a comma as well ;)

Anyways, we're both nitpicking :D

Apr 12, 2004
    Doesnt it say 2.048 MB? Which would be 2 GB?
    Since you ask, I will gladly indulge in a little pedantry.

2.5 is pronounced "two point five", that is "two and a half".

2.048 MB is pronounced "two point oh four eight megabytes", therefore:
    2.048 MB
    = 2 MB + .048 MB
    = (2 MB * 1024 KB/MB) + (.048 MB * 1024 KB/MB)
    = 2048 KB + 49.152 KB
    = 2097.152 KB
    Not necessarily, it depends on the punctuation used to group the digits in a given country, where a dot or comm can be used either to group the thousands or the decimal places.

In the present case, the dot is used to group the digits so that the thousand is seperated from the other numbers for easier reading, while the decimal places would be seperated by a comma.

Therefore, Marty is actually saying he now has 2.048,00 MB of RAM. Since the decimal digits anyway, it's ok to put 2.048 to signify two thousand forty eight.

If he put 2,048 however, that would be a different story (provided, of course, that in the given country where he is the comma is used to separate the decimal places).
    . is a "point", also called "the decimal point". That's really all you need to know. The fact that a comma is used instead in other locales is really neither here nor there.
    Another 2.5 hours of downtime this afternoon. Guess I can't stress the new for a new server enough. :p
    So, judging from above, this is not two and a half, but 2500 hours down.....

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    Yo, I like Option 2 more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)