Juventus Vs Newcastle (1 Viewer)

hussain1982

Aug 22, 2002
from soccerage

Juventus hope to build on their last impressive Champions League performance and keep the lead of the qualifying group E when they host Newcastle on Tuesday evening at the Delle Alpi stadium.

The Bianconeri were simply irresistible last week against Dinamo Kiev. The Ukrainian side came from an impressive home win precisely against the Magpies, but Juve overwhelmed them right after the starting whistle for a 5-0 rout which admitted no reply.

However, Lippi's men were way less effective three days ago in their home outing against Parma. The Bianconeri were dominated for most of the match, and only an incredible recovery in the last minutes, favored by the "benevolent" behaviour of young referee Cassarà, allowed them to grab a 2-2 draw.

It's a harsh but true fact that Newcastle are in a position where they need something from Tuesday nights game in Turin. Whilst their domestic form is beginning to pick up after a sluggish start, they are still struggling to find their feet – and the net – in Europe, having lost away in Kiev and, last week, somewhat unluckily at home to Feyenoord.

However, bad luck counts for nothing in the Champions League and boss Sir Bobby Robson is too experienced not to realise the full importance of this game to his side, even perhaps to the point to salvaging a UEFA Cup spot out of it, thanks to the ruling body's ridiculous `third place ruling`.

If anything, Newcastle can take heart from recent Premiership matches, indeed they've won their last two by the same 2-0 scoreline, albeit against clubs that they would be expected to beat. Juve however are a totally different proposition, and it's going to take something very special to take anything home to Tyneside, although as they say, football is a funny old game.

CURRENT FORM

Juventus (all comps – oldest results first): WWDWWD. With the lone exception of last Saturday's Serie A match against Parma, the Bianconeri have been looking really great in their first outings of the season. Lippi's men are still undefeated, and their positive streak (4 wins and 2 draws, with 15 goals scored and only 4 conceded) includes the triumph in the Italian Supercup on August 25, precisely at Parma's expense.

Newcastle (all comps – oldest results first): LLLWLW. Saturday's win at Birmingham has lifted Newcastle into tenth place, although they will drop a position if there is a winner in the Monday night Prem game between West Brom & Blackburn. The previous victory over local rivals Sunderland would have given the fans more satisfaction, however it's in Europe where you have to look for a better idea of form, and successive defeats against Kiev and Feyenoord makes for depressing reading.

TEAM NEWS

Only the long-term sidelined players, namely Zambrotta, Pessotto and Conte, will be unavailable for the Bianconeri. David Trezeguet has fully recovered from his injury and will likely sit on the bench. Most likely, Marcello Lippi will field the same starting eleven who hammered Dinamo Kiev one week ago, with young defender Moretti on the left and Pavel Nedved free to move behind the offensive duo, formed by Di Vaio and Del Piero.

Newcastle will miss the pace and finishing skill of Craig Bellamy, who begins his three match European ban following his head-butting incident against Dynamo Kiev. His place up front is likely to go to Lomana Lua-Lua, however Shola Ameobi came off the bench to score late on at Birmingham and could stake a claim as a partner for Alan Shearer. That aside, Sir Bobby Robson has no new concerns and is likely to start with the same eleven as began at St Andrews on Saturday.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Juventus: Alessandro Del Piero. We guess you won't be surprised. Nine goals in eight official matches: Alex is as healthy as he's never been after the terrible injury he suffered a few years ago, and this gives him a huge confidence. It will be very difficult for a troubled defence like Newcastle's to stop the red hot Juve super-star.

Newcastle: Alan Shearer. The former England captain has done most things in his career, however on the European club scene, he remains relatively inexperienced, despite previous unsuccessful campaigns with Newcastle and Blackburn. His power and leadership will be absolutely vital if Newcastle are to get anything from this game.

Equally important will be goalkeeper Shay Given. Not the tallest in the world by any means, the Irishman has excellent shot stopping ability and commands his area well. He was one of the most impressive keepers in the Premiership last season, and was one of the reasons that his side are in the Champions League this season.

POSSIBLE STARTING XI's

JUVENTUS (4-3-1-2): Buffon; Thuram, Montero, Iuliano, Moretti; Camoranesi, Tacchinardi, Davids; Nedved; Di Vaio, Del Piero.

NEWCASTLE (4-4-2): Given; Griffin, Dabizas, Hughes, O'Brien; Solano, Speed, Dyer, Robert, Shearer, Lua-Lua

Buy on AliExpress.com

Anastacia

Jul 12, 2002
do we have to read the same previews over and over again? :D

anyway, i think that we have a nice shot in this match, we don't have any excuses not to win it, playing at home. im expecting something great from pavel, he had an average match against parma and didn't support the forwards well. tudor could always be used at a later stage in the match (just to score from header ;), like he did against parma). di vaio needs to re-discover his form and the killing touch he once possesed with parma. buffon and del piero had been juve's best players, camo did well against feyenoord but never showed up since then :( thuram is improving while the rest are ok.

forza juve, get us the 3 points and show 'em the beauty of the game !!

Goleador

Sep 10, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Majed ] ++
Last week, i heard soccerage.com is gonna start showing Italian Serie A goals begining from week 3 (which is today!)

So if anybody knows anymore info about this, please let us know.
(i hope it's free)
I went there and they said it is full live coverage. But i guess it is just full live TEXT coverage.

Try it when game is about to start : http://www.soccerage.com/en/01/00066.html

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
stick Montero on shearer, Tudor on Lua Lua and Davids on Viana, Thuram on Robert, the rest are pants so thats about it

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
I can't wait for this match! I actually get to watch it!!

does anyone want commentary on the match? :)

paulo

Aug 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++
stick Montero on shearer, Tudor on Lua Lua and Davids on Viana, Thuram on Robert, the rest are pants so thats about it
:D Yeah, we shouldn't have much problems with them. They may also be black and white, but their skills aren't exactly the same.;)

And btw, they reached 10th place in Premier League lately? Good for them! I guess that means we really have to watch out for Shearer & co today! :D

DAVIDZ

Sep 15, 2002
2hrs to go....getting nervous!!!!!

I also read Newcastle will be wearing their black and white jersey since they're the guests!! Buncha' wannabes!!

Plexus

Aug 24, 2002
And as its my birthday.....I diserv a present from all the players in Juve, and I am not greedy at all. All I am asking for is a 4-0 victory tonight!!

Dante

Sep 8, 2002
The Juve team:
Juventus: Buffon; Thuram, Iuliano, Montero, Moretti; Baiocco,
Tudor, Davids; Nedved; Del Piero, Di Vaio. Coach: Lippi. On the bench:
Chimenti, Ferrara, Fresi, Birindelli, Camoranesi, Trezeguet, Salas.

Dante

Sep 8, 2002
Newcastle: Given; Griffin, O'Brein, Dabizas, Hughes; Solano,
Speed, Jenas, Robert; Dyer; Shearer. Coach. Robson. On the bench: Harper,
Elliott, Bramble, Kerr, Viana, Lua Lua, Ameobi

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
3' The visitors, who can barely afford to depart here without a point, have made a positive start.
2' Edgar Davids heads the ball away to clear the early danger.
2' Shearer receives a cross from Nolberto Solano, but his close-range shot is blocked for a corner.
1' Newcastle - who are wearing the black-and-white striped shirt usually deployed by both teams - kick the game off, Juventus donning all-white strips.

Espectro

The Grimreaper
Jul 12, 2002
6' Laurent Robert's long-range effort goes over the crossbar with Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon off his line.
5' Di Vaio makes a run into the box, he loses the ball as Baiocco falls under a challenge from Andy O'Brien, but play is waved on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)