Juventus target ‘free’ Pires (2 Viewers)

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
Pires wouldn't be a threat to Del Piero. With the arrival of Vieira it has become clear that we will play 4-4-2 this season. Neither Emerson nor Vieira can play on the left side of a three man midfield. Therefor we need more attacking midfielders, because Olivera isn't good enough and Nedved is already 33. Del Piero and Mutu, both great players, will probably sit on the bench for most of the season. You can't blame Capello for using 4-4-2, it's probably the most solid formation available.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Yes, yes bloody yes. Couldn't say no to Bobby on a free. Goes straight into the team and gives Camo a spot on the bench making our squad depth a bit better also. Or we could try to fit him in the existing lineup with Camo and Pavel but god knows how. A bit of rotation should keep 'em all happy.

Daddi

Cuadrado is juan hell of a derby king!
Oct 27, 2004
Nedved
Camoranesi
Pires
Mutu (if needed)
Olivera
Zambrotta
Chiellini

I think that would be depht and quality :D

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++

Well if you take a look at our current bench you will see we need a couple more attacking options to choose from. Olivera is just not good enough, and of course we already let Kapo go on loan to Monaco. So yes, we need another player who could come off the bench to cover for Nedved or whomever.

Esposito is a good player however he is more of a foward/winger type player, not one to come back in midfield. I am uncertain whether or not he would be able to play right midfield because that job includes a lot of defending for a winger in our system.
Agreed on all points. Some will argue that we don't really need Pires because we can change formation and have Mutu or Del Piero playing deeper, but having Olivera as our only real back-up to the wide midfield roles isn't good enough. Again, some will say that that isn't the case because Chiellini and Zambrotta are perfectly capable of playing in a more advanced position, but personally I think another wide player would be a useful addition.

And about Esposito, as you said he is an old fashioned winger, not a midfielder. Yes people, there is a difference. Midfielders are expected to help out both offensively and defensively whereas wingers focus on the attacking aspect of the game. Capello doesn't play with wingers in his 4-4-2. If you watched Cagliari regularly last season you will know that they usually played 4-3-3 with Esposito operating as one of the wide attackers or wingers.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++

Agreed on all points. Some will argue that we don't really need Pires because we can change formation and have Mutu or Del Piero playing deeper, but having Olivera as our only real back-up to the wide midfield roles isn't good enough. Again, some will say that that isn't the case because Chiellini and Zambrotta are perfectly capable of playing in a more advanced position, but personally I think another wide player would be a useful addition.
And another thing about Pires is he can drop deeper in midfield to pick up the ball, basically performing the duty of a playmaker. We desperately need a player such as that who could give us far more creativity in midfield....I don't think we have had a midfielder as creative as Pires since number 21 was leading our attack.

And about Esposito, as you said he is an old fashioned winger, not a midfielder. Yes people, there is a difference. Midfielders are expected to help out both offensively and defensively whereas wingers focus on the attacking aspect of the game. Capello doesn't play with wingers in his 4-4-2. If you watched Cagliari regularly last season you will know that they usually played 4-3-3 with Esposito operating as one of the wide attackers or wingers.
Exactly right. Esposito is closer to a forward than he is a midfielder.

Diobaggio

May 5, 2005
guys...only one thing...Pires would not do as good a job as Camoranesi!

Pires may be more famous...but Camo has earned the right to be Juve's no 1 right-midfielder

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Diobaggio ] ++
guys...only one thing...Pires would not do as good a job as Camoranesi!
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Camoranesi, in the big champions league matches.. usually looks out of place to be perfectly honest. Everybody's been raving about him last season, and granted I didn't exactly see that many games - but he never impressed me in those I did. Pires on form is far superior.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Hmm, big Champions League matches such as the win against Real Madrid? Only match bigger than that was the two against Liverpool in which everybody went missing.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Hmm, big Champions League matches such as the win against Real Madrid? Only match bigger than that was the two against Liverpool in which everybody went missing.
Well the Liverpool games were at the forefront of my mid actually yeah.
In the Liverpool games the defence and keeper did alright on the whole, and the strikers, considering they hardly got a touch of the ball, did all they could. The midfield was the department that was completely anonymous particularly in the second game.

AFAIK Camo was fully fit in that game and played for the majority of it - he did bugger all to influence the game and looked very lethargic - as it must be said he always does when I watch - maybe its just me but I'm yet to be convinced of his abilities at the top level. He doesn't get enough goals and he's very frustrating in possession.

I know the likes of olivera and Nedved played in the game as well but Olivera is only a fringe player and Nedved - well I'm prepared to grant him an off day due to the fact he's been so decisive in many a game over the past few years. Camo though - well I was beginning to get a bit miffed at his performances - I'd swap him for Pires in a heartbeat.

Jan 7, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Tom ] ++

In the Liverpool games the defence and keeper did alright on the whole, and the strikers, considering they hardly got a touch of the ball, did all they could. The midfield was the department that was completely anonymous particularly in the second game.

AFAIK Camo was fully fit in that game and played for the majority of it - he did bugger all to influence the game and looked very lethargic - as it must be said he always does when I watch - maybe its just me but I'm yet to be convinced of his abilities at the top level. He doesn't get enough goals and he's very frustrating in possession.

I know the likes of olivera and Nedved played in the game as well but Olivera is only a fringe player and Nedved - well I'm prepared to grant him an off day due to the fact he's been so decisive in many a game over the past few years. Camo though - well I was beginning to get a bit miffed at his performances - I'd swap him for Pires in a heartbeat.

i wouldnt, but only because pires is older

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Tom ] ++

Well, I see people indeed do not have very long memories. Camoranesi was the best player on the pitch in the match against Real at the Delle Alpi, taking on players left and right, troubling and keeping RC at home during the whole match, making Gravesen and Samuel look completely foolish and out of place. He made our midfield tick in that match, one that we thought was already lost. He also was a force in the Bayern matches as well. Please...to say Camoranesi does not show up in big CL matches is a rather ridiculous statement.

The defense was alright "on the whole" in the Liverpool matches? Are you kidding me? The whole first half at Anfield was a complete joke for the supposed "best defense in the world." Thuram made three ridiculous mistakes in the span of 20 minutes, one costing us a goal. Emerson let Luis Garcia slip by him and the ball ended up behind an out-stretched Buffon who should have perhaps done better. Then in the second leg I almost killed myself watching Paolo Montero fumble around at the back without any decent ideas in midfield at all...that's right, it was the whole midfield: Emerson, Olivera, Nedved, and even Del Piero coming back to pick up the ball. Every single player on the pitch was lethargic as far as I'm concerned, from Zlatan to Montero to Camoranesi. Can't pin this down entirely on Camo's shoulders.

Camoranesi was very good during the entire season, basically being our best player coming out of midfield. Last term I counted over ten assists from Camoranesi's boot, which is right up there with Zlatan's flick and head-on helpers. I don't even think you can name a better winger in Serie A last season to be honest.

Now, if Camoranesi has not really impressed you in the CL, how about Pires in the past two seasons? He WAS a very good player, yet in the Champions League he went missing often as well. To throw away Camoranesi for a 31 year-old has-been sounds like something Moratti would think up.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003

Now, if Camoranesi has not really impressed you in the CL, how about Pires in the past two seasons? He WAS a very good player, yet in the Champions League he went missing often as well. To throw away Camoranesi for a 31 year-old has-been sounds like something Moratti would think up.
I agree,

Mar 14, 2004
Well,my opinion about Camo is well known: bullshit player. Besides Cap making him running like "Duracell" bunny.....what does he offer? A dosen of lost balls cuz of useless dribbling and bad passes&crosses....
Someone mentioned before: his defensive skills and agression.....who the fck needs def. skills of a winger? And a winger that is our onley playmaker in 4-4-2 system.

Pires is an inteligent player,with no need for useless dribbling and ball keeping,has creative abbilities,can cross,can score......maybe doesn't posses def. skills llike camoranesi but.....take a look at text above....

IMO we need him badly

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
Nice to see all the Camoranesi haters come out of the woodwork. :D

In our straight 4-4-2 system the wingers do have a responsibility coming back to mark the opposition's wingers or attacking midfielders. This is obviously no surpise.

And again people dismiss his passing and crossing ability, yet Camoranesi is one of our top assisters and was ranked as one of the top midfielders in Serie A last season. Sure, Camoranesi is not world class however after last term we have seen what he is capable of, which is giving us incisive and threatening play on the right wing.

Jul 28, 2002
camo runs hard works hard, high class dribbles and crosses...and performed well.

BUT he still goes missing, he still tends to dribble inwards and still lacks the true playmaker eye for a pass we truely miss.

Imo camo earned his starting spot next year, as has neddy, but pires will offer top class cover for both, but also a central midfield option also if required.

At a cheap price he would be a bargain

Jun 29, 2005
Yes for Pires.

At least 3 reasons:
1.Creativity
2.Playmaking ability
3.Hey it's Robert Pires, no matter how old he is..

He can add depth in our squad.. especially when nedved is injured or failed to shine.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
I disagree, I don't really think Pires is a MUST in out team, Barkuss. Camoranesi IS a great Player and he proved that last year, It would be really nasty to ask for Pires Just because some of us here don't believe in Mauro. I'm not against signin Pires, I'm with it Infact. But I gotta admit that Mauro is our man.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)