Juventus target ‘free’ Pires (1 Viewer)

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I think Pires is the replacement for Kapo` when you think about it. Pires is great because he can play on both flanks. So he is a sub for both Nedved and Camoranesi. Pires can also play as a playmaker. So his versatility is something that MUST be considered.

I hope that if he arrives, that it doesn't spell the end for Camoranesi because he is a player that did really well last year.

So at the moment, Juve are talking about a Blasi-Oddo swap and Juve are also inquiring about Stankovic. If Figo goes to Inter, then there is a chance we could use Miccoli to get Stankovic. Can you imagine this team:

-------------------BUFFON/-----------------------
------------------CHIMENTI-----------------------

ZEBINA/---THURAM/---CANNA/---ZAMBO/
ODDO-----KOVAC------(ZEBINA)---CHIELLINI

CAMO/---EMERSON/---VIEIRA/---NEDVED/
PIRES-----GIANNI/----STANKOVIC---(PIRES)
-------------TACCHI------------------------------

------------TREZ/------DEL PIERO/-------------
-----------ZLATAN/--------MUTU----------------
---------(STANKOVIC)---------------------------

As you can see Pires can play on both flanks, Oddo means that Zebina can be the 4th centre back if needed, Stankovic (who has played as a centre forward before) could be the 5th striker as well.

That squad is still small - only 24 players but the fact that Zambo, Stanko, Pires, Mutu, and Zebina can play in different roles, it gives our team REAL depth and creativity. Something that Juve hasn't had for some time. Meanwhile, our first 11 would be little changed over last year with the exception of Vieira.

PERFECT.

Buy on AliExpress.com

rokkstar

Feb 2, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Catenaccio ] ++
I think Pires is the replacement for Kapo` when you think about it. Pires is great because he can play on both flanks. So he is a sub for both Nedved and Camoranesi. Pires can also play as a playmaker. So his versatility is something that MUST be considered.

I hope that if he arrives, that it doesn't spell the end for Camoranesi because he is a player that did really well last year.

So at the moment, Juve are talking about a Blasi-Oddo swap and Juve are also inquiring about Stankovic. If Figo goes to Inter, then there is a chance we could use Miccoli to get Stankovic. Can you imagine this team:

-------------------BUFFON/-----------------------
------------------CHIMENTI-----------------------

ZEBINA/---THURAM/---CANNA/---ZAMBO/
ODDO-----KOVAC------(ZEBINA)---CHIELLINI

CAMO/---EMERSON/---VIEIRA/---NEDVED/
PIRES-----GIANNI/----STANKOVIC---(PIRES)
-------------TACCHI------------------------------

------------TREZ/------DEL PIERO/-------------
-----------ZLATAN/--------MUTU----------------
---------(STANKOVIC)---------------------------

As you can see Pires can play on both flanks, Oddo means that Zebina can be the 4th centre back if needed, Stankovic (who has played as a centre forward before) could be the 5th striker as well.

That squad is still small - only 24 players but the fact that Zambo, Stanko, Pires, Mutu, and Zebina can play in different roles, it gives our team REAL depth and creativity. Something that Juve hasn't had for some time. Meanwhile, our first 11 would be little changed over last year with the exception of Vieira.

PERFECT.
excellent... depth is what we need.

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Juventus to offer Tudor for Arsenal's Pires
tribalfootball.com - July 25, 2005

A swap deal has been mooted which could see Arsenal midfielder Robert Pires complete his dream move to Juventus.

Juve wanted to take Pires a fortnight ago as part of a double signing for Patrick Vieira, but baulked at Arsenal's £3 million asking price for the 32 year-old.

His agent, Stephane Courbis, maintains that Juve remain keen on Pires: "At this moment, Juventus are the only team interested in the player."

Juve director general Luciano Moggi knows Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is seeking a new central defender and could tempt the Gunners into a straight swap for Pires by offering want-away Croatia international Igor Tudor.

Jul 28, 2002
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++
Juventus to offer Tudor for Arsenal's Pires
tribalfootball.com - July 25, 2005

A swap deal has been mooted which could see Arsenal midfielder Robert Pires complete his dream move to Juventus.

Juve wanted to take Pires a fortnight ago as part of a double signing for Patrick Vieira, but baulked at Arsenal's £3 million asking price for the 32 year-old.

His agent, Stephane Courbis, maintains that Juve remain keen on Pires: "At this moment, Juventus are the only team interested in the player."

Juve director general Luciano Moggi knows Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is seeking a new central defender and could tempt the Gunners into a straight swap for Pires by offering want-away Croatia international Igor Tudor.
If igor want to go then fair enough let him go in swap for pires which would be a gr8 deal for both clubs.

But id still miss the big bastard.

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
Hahaha, but Pires would be a good addition to our squad..he really is good on the flanks. At the momment we really only have Zambrotta who does this.

Neddy and Camo are type of players who like to run towards the middle rather than use the total width of the field.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Andy ] ++
Well, I see people indeed do not have very long memories. Camoranesi was the best player on the pitch in the match against Real at the Delle Alpi, taking on players left and right, troubling and keeping RC at home during the whole match, making Gravesen and Samuel look completely foolish and out of place. He made our midfield tick in that match, one that we thought was already lost. He also was a force in the Bayern matches as well. Please...to say Camoranesi does not show up in big CL matches is a rather ridiculous statement.

The defense was alright "on the whole" in the Liverpool matches? Are you kidding me? The whole first half at Anfield was a complete joke for the supposed "best defense in the world." Thuram made three ridiculous mistakes in the span of 20 minutes, one costing us a goal. Emerson let Luis Garcia slip by him and the ball ended up behind an out-stretched Buffon who should have perhaps done better. Then in the second leg I almost killed myself watching Paolo Montero fumble around at the back without any decent ideas in midfield at all...that's right, it was the whole midfield: Emerson, Olivera, Nedved, and even Del Piero coming back to pick up the ball. Every single player on the pitch was lethargic as far as I'm concerned, from Zlatan to Montero to Camoranesi. Can't pin this down entirely on Camo's shoulders.

Camoranesi was very good during the entire season, basically being our best player coming out of midfield. Last term I counted over ten assists from Camoranesi's boot, which is right up there with Zlatan's flick and head-on helpers. I don't even think you can name a better winger in Serie A last season to be honest.

Now, if Camoranesi has not really impressed you in the CL, how about Pires in the past two seasons? He WAS a very good player, yet in the Champions League he went missing often as well. To throw away Camoranesi for a 31 year-old has-been sounds like something Moratti would think up.
If you think Camo was the best player on the pitch thats up to you, but I can certainly remember that game and wasn't nearly as impressed as you were. But then it takes a lot more to impress me clearly.

I said the defence was ok on the whole as they were. Small patch at the start of the first leg apart, they didn't concede a goal and looked fairly solid bar a couple of dodgy moments from an ageing Montero in the return.

My point was you can't blame the defence for our mediocrity in possession and going forward. I'm not pinning it down on Camoranesi's shoulders but his performance probably sticks in the mind more than the others as it kinda tapped in to my long term belief/fear that the guy was simply not good enough at the top level.

As I said, I ain't seen much serie A last season, if he did get 10 assists then great - doesn't change the fact that he has consistently looked average in CL matches, which are much more important to me at least. I want to see us win the CL in the next couple of seasons, whether that comes at the cost of losing 2 league titles I couldn't care less really. If he can't impress in the CL then we need someone better, which Pires undoubtedly is.

He hasn't on the whole performed to his best in the CL, but the key difference is that I know with Pires he has the quality to be an influential player in big european games. Camo has yet to inspire such confidence. Pires is simply suffering from being in a team not geared to play in Europe, trying to change styles each year to accomodate, and failing miserably. The same would go for Vieira, who took the common sense option and left. Hopefully Robert will follow suit!

Of course the optimal solution would be to sign Pires on a free and put Camo on the bench, beef up the squad depth a touch, but if it were a straight choice between the two, I think you'd be mad to keep what we've got.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
I find this talk about replacing Camoranesi quite silly. He was undoubtedly one of our best players over the course of last season and provided an offensive spark that none of our other midfielders could manage. I admit that he can be annoying at times as he always insists on attempting the extraordinary whether it be in the form of a mazy run or over-ambitious pass. Sometimes I wish he'd just keep it simple but even his harshest critics should admit that his contributions were crucial as far as last season's successes go.

He was arguably Serie A's best right-sided midfielder last season and I thought he did well (just as well as any of our other midfielders anyways) in the Champions League so I see no need to replace him, farless sell him.

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
That possible Camo's switch for stankovic is the stupidest move ever.I hope tha we will keep our great Camo,and that fvcking inter makes me mad,I hate them,and that stankovic and mihajlovic,we don't need stankovic also we don't need Pires,Camo is superb! Forza Camo!!!!!!!!

The Arif

Jan 31, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
I find this talk about replacing Camoranesi quite silly. He was undoubtedly one of our best players over the course of last season and provided an offensive spark that none of our other midfielders could manage. I admit that he can be annoying at times as he always insists on attempting the extraordinary whether it be in the form of a mazy run or over-ambitious pass. Sometimes I wish he'd just keep it simple but even his harshest critics should admit that his contributions were crucial as far as last season's successes go.

He was arguably Serie A's best right-sided midfielder last season and I thought he did well (just as well as any of our other midfielders anyways) in the Champions League so I see no need to replace him, farless sell him.

Camoranesi - Stankovic swap its just the media bullshit IMO.

Catenaccio

Jul 15, 2002
I don't think Camoranesi is going anywhere. Pires is effectively the replacement for Kapo. If we can get him close to free, then I say go for it.

He can play on both wings and be a playmaker.

So last year, our offensive midfield options on the bench was Olivera and Kapo......now it could be Pires and Mutu (also a striker). Meanwhile Vieira gives us a little more down the middle too.

So I want PIRES!

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Arif ] ++

Camoranesi - Stankovic swap its just the media bullshit IMO.
I'm aware of that it's just that some people would be seemingly willing to swap Camoranesi with Stankovic or Pires if the opportunity presented itself which I disagree with. Stankovic is an excellent player but right midfield isn't his best position so that deal would be a bit of a waste as we'd still have to go looking for someone to play Camo's position, while Pires is getting on in age. I'd love to sign Pires on the cheap as he'd add depth and creativity to the side, but if I had to choose between the Frenchman and Camoranesi I'd go with the latter.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Tom ] ++

If you think Camo was the best player on the pitch thats up to you, but I can certainly remember that game and wasn't nearly as impressed as you were. But then it takes a lot more to impress me clearly.
In your opinion, who was the best player in that match then? Cuz I don't see anybody else.

I said the defence was ok on the whole as they were. Small patch at the start of the first leg apart, they didn't concede a goal and looked fairly solid bar a couple of dodgy moments from an ageing Montero in the return.
Small patch of thirty minutes in which we gave up two goals and made countless mistakes. Then we had all the members of the midfield and attack having lackluster performances. Hardly only Camoranesi.

My point was you can't blame the defence for our mediocrity in possession and going forward. I'm not pinning it down on Camoranesi's shoulders but his performance probably sticks in the mind more than the others as it kinda tapped in to my long term belief/fear that the guy was simply not good enough at the top level.
Well, I don't think you get much more top level than Real Madrid. And again, what stuck in my mind from the return Pool match was how poor everybody was, from Montero to Del Piero. With Olivera giving the ball away in midfield Camoranesi really didn't have any service (laughable for a winger to not get much service) and Capello had to switch Olivera out right because he was doing so poorly. Then Camo had to take a more central role, which he is not very good at doing. We can't judge anybody solely on this one horrendous match.

As I said, I ain't seen much serie A last season, if he did get 10 assists then great - doesn't change the fact that he has consistently looked average in CL matches, which are much more important to me at least. I want to see us win the CL in the next couple of seasons, whether that comes at the cost of losing 2 league titles I couldn't care less really. If he can't impress in the CL then we need someone better, which Pires undoubtedly is.
Well, Zlatan Ibrahimovic looked average in most of his matches in the CL however tore Serie A up, any comments on that? And I still don't see any evidence that Pires is a better player NOW than Camoranesi. He might have been a couple years ago however now injuries have taken a toll and he isn't the player he once was. We have enough of these injury prone players over 30, no sense in buying another one just to make him a first choice player.

And this argument about Arsenal doesn't matter anyway. There would be doubts over any player switching teams after a long spell at one club, switching to a more restrained system, and I don't even know if Pires can fit into a straight 4-4-2 system with emphasis on wingers coming back to mark. How do we know Pires is comfortable with that?

Of course the optimal solution would be to sign Pires on a free and put Camo on the bench, beef up the squad depth a touch, but if it were a straight choice between the two, I think you'd be mad to keep what we've got.
So we trade a 27 year-old for a 31 year-old injury-prone has-been who has been on decline for a year and a half now....hmm I'm not feeling that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)