OP
Boudz

Boudz

Mercato Tourist
Aug 1, 2002
  • Thread Starter #2
    Juventus look to Baggio
    Wednesday 31 May, 2006

The legendary Roberto Baggio may have a part to play in the new Juventus, reports in Italy are insisting.

Both the Gazzetta dello Sport and Tuttosport newspapers splashed Baggio’s name across their front pages today, highlighting the possibility of a romantic return to Turin for the Divin Codino.

The Agnelli family, who are majority shareholders in the outfit, are looking to freshen up their hierarchy following the departure of the infamous Triade – Roberto Bettega, Luciano Moggi and Antonio Giraudo.

The latter were actually responsible for Baggio’s exit in the 1990s when they wouldn’t meet his wage demands for a new contract.

However, Baggio could now be on the verge of a sensational return with the Old Lady prepared to offer him the Vice-President role.

John Elkann, the nephew of Gianni Agnelli – the man responsible for Baggio’s arrival as a player, wants the legendary Italian to help restore the club’s credibility in the game after the explosion of the 'Calciopoli’ scandal.

Baggio, according to the reports, was initially contacted before his May 20 departure for his annual hunting holiday in Argentina.

It’s understood that the one time No 10 has given his disposal to working with the Stadio Delle Alpi outfit.

The club are now awaiting his return from South America before holding more substantial talks with the former fan favourite.

Baggio has been flooded with offers from the football world since he quit the game just over two years ago.

It was believed that Inter chief Massimo Moratti was preparing to offer him a role with the Nerazzurri.

Channel4

jaansu

Jul 12, 2002
    This indeed would seem to be good news. But I am not sure what kind of experience a vice president would need to do the job successfully, and I wonder does Baggio have that kind of experience.

I suppose we would have to trust Elkann's judgement on these sort of matters.

zizoufan

Z.Z T h e M a s t e r
    May 25, 2004
    jaansu said:
    This indeed would seem to be good news. But I am not sure what kind of experience a vice president would need to do the job successfully, and I wonder does Baggio have that kind of experience.

I suppose we would have to trust Elkann's judgement on these sort of matters.

Yes , i'll give you that !
    Can someone please explain to us the tasks that a vice-president do and his role in the club ?

Tariq

Jun 17, 2003
    I think the President and Vice President's roles would be more of an honorary postion than an active one. The managers usually are involved in the day to day activities of the club and the decision making. This will be over looked by the President and Vice President (which might end up being Alex and Roberto one day :) ). One of the main things behind this sort of agreement would be to restore credibility to the Juventus name by including such great italian sport figures known only for their athletecism, professionalism and love for the sport, to the Juve managerial team.

zizoufan

Z.Z T h e M a s t e r
    May 25, 2004
    Tariq said:
    I think the President and Vice President's roles would be more of an honorary postion than an active one. The managers usually are involved in the day to day activities of the club and the decision making. This will be over looked by the President and Vice President (which might end up being Alex and Roberto one day :) ). One of the main things behind this sort of agreement would be to restore credibility to the Juventus name by including such great italian sport figures known only for their athletecism, professionalism and love for the sport, to the Juve managerial team.
    thank you for ur post buddy

sateeh

Day Walker
    Jul 28, 2003
    thats really a positive step, bringing an italian legend back would do wonders to the image of the club at these times.
    And having Roby back would just make us fans very happy.

i hope this happens, i guess we will have to wait and see

Hambon

Lion of the Desert
    Apr 22, 2005
    Tariq said:

Having Del piero & Baggio in those honorary positions would be a dream. It would also inhance the image of Juventus in the long run. As Past juventus players and proflific Azzuri players it would be a definite plus for Juventus as an organization

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
    Mar 29, 2006
    I would think a vice presdent will have to have some business knowledge as they will need to look at the commercial side of football too. An example of this although maybe not as appropriate is the meetings which occur between the euopean elite G-14 meetings or any other for that matters. Bettega was our G-14 representative therefore I would think that would be one of Baggios task too. Nevertheless im so and so about this move. Im happy of having Baggio playing an active role but unsure of whether he would be the ideal man for that specific position.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)