Juve snub hurt Deschamps (1 Viewer)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Deschamps bitter at Juve snub
Sunday 30 May, 2004

The appointment of Fabio Capello to the Juventus job took everyone by surprise – none more so than prime candidate Didier Deschamps.

“I admit it, I was very upset,” confessed the former Bianconeri player who had until Friday morning been in pole position for this post.

“I believed that within days I would have put pen to paper on a contract with Juventus, but instead something happened that I simply cannot explain.”

Director General Luciano Moggi had told the press earlier this month “either Deschamps or Cesare Prandelli will be the new Coach.”

However, the wily transfer guru merely used them as a smokescreen while he carried on negotiations with Roma’s Capello.

Monaco boss Deschamps had also been linked with the Chelsea job, which now seems to be in the hands of Champions’ League winning manager Jose Mourinho.

“I would never have expected to see Capello on the Juve bench,” concluded a clearly bitter Deschamps. “I think that after all of this I will stay at Monaco.”

Buy on AliExpress.com
OP
Stu

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
  • Thread Starter #4
    At one point in time I really wanted Deschamps, but Moggi made a good decision by signing Capello, who has more experience, has won plenty of trophies, and knows his way around Italy. DD has experienced Serie A as a player, but not yet as a coach. Capello has.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    with capello we're assured of a new style and approach to the game and serious european contention,that much i'm sure.

DD was great but his season came apart in the most cruel of ways.

imo the players themselves would've preferred deschamps,him being their ex-teammate and all.i'm sure he'd work better with them than capello would.and do keep in ming that don fabio comes from one of our most hated rivals.

Sep 28, 2002
    i dont really think he was all that surprised.

after all, earlier this season both juve management and deschapms himself stated that he is not ready to take over juve just yet, not enough experience etc.

capello is here for 3 years, no more 5 if he's successful. after that deschamps will be 40. then he can come and stay here for 20 years to come. and he should prove himslef more.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Yeah, I hope Deschamps is not discouraged about Moggi's decision. And I hope Didier will welcome a move to Juventus later in his career.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    DD will have a few years to get over it. And he'll be better prepared to be a Juve coach then.

Capello was really the right move for the team, as DD and Prandelli have more to prove before they're ready for the main stage of Juve.

Eaglesnake_1

Mar 28, 2004
    IMO, interst in deschamps and also in Prandelli, was a big charade that Moggi made up to conceal his real chosen one who was Capello, to sort out the opposition and stubborness of Porco Sensi.
    I dont like very much Capello personality and style, but have to recognise he is a good trainer who knows a lot and wins a lot ( the only one in seie A that as win more scuddetos than Lippi)
    DD needs a little more experience for get the juve bench, he will be the one after Capello...
    And, lets honour this desition, because was the last one that Don Umberto take for his beloved Juve.....

Sparty

Mar 17, 2004
    Bah what a crybaby. He could've come to Juve if he didn't take his time analyzing how much more would earn in Chelsea. Unfortunately Chelsea decided for Mourinho and Deschamps got nothin, not even Juve which for him was his second choice after Chelsea, so I really don't feel pity for him.

Aug 26, 2003
    I understand DD it must be frustrating for him, but so is football!!

I thought when it was said that after CL Final the new coach will be presented it will be DD, but then came Capello and i am very happy!!

I think DD is a great coach and will become even better but at the moment Capello can juve give more, but one day DD will be our coach i am sure!!!

Fighters

May 7, 2004
    Like I wrote in another post - Platini came out a few weeks ago and said that Deschmps is not ready to coach Juve. He siad that he requires another few years experience coaching. He said that Deschamps will not be Juve's coach next season, but he will be one day.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
    Well said Sparty.

DD might have been the coach had he not tried to be greedy and ask for more money which led to longer negotiations. Anyway DD will be our coach later on ;)

Geof

May 14, 2004
    First Trez, now DD, ...

It's maybe time the management becomes honest. I mean, who wants to negociate or sign with that kind of people?

I guess people will say:"This is football". I doubt that, I'll rather say this is bizness.

On the other hand, i'm glad capello is the coach, he'll do good!!

Just hoping DD still loves Juve, and one day, he'll lift the CL cup as bianconero coach...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)