juve attendences (home and away) (1 Viewer)

JUVE1897

Sep 24, 2004
Hi
This is a very existing subject I saw it on one site and I wont it to share it with you

The fans are to blame for the reduced capacit

Juventus will start rebuilding the Delle Alpi stadium in May 2005 and many
Juventus fans have complained about the fact that the capacity will be reduced to only 42 000 seats. The Juventus directors want the stadium sold out for every match, and they have the statistics on their side when they have decided for this heavily reduced capacity. The sad fact is that Juventus only have around 30 000 spectators for the majority of their Serie A home games each year. The average attendance has dropped every year in the last six seasons. From a good average attendance of 47 000 in the 1997-1998 season to a very poor average attendance of 35 000 in the 2003-2004 season. In the last three succesful seasons when Juventus were crowned Italian champions two times, the Delle Alpi Stadium was sold out only for three games. When you watch Juventus games in TV you always see thousands of empty seats. Therefore it is not difficult to understand that the Juventus board want to reduce the capacity from 69 000 to a more fitting capacity.So how come doesn't the most popular club in Italy with over 11 million fans in the country manage to get more spectators to their home games? The Turin population are known to be cold, demanding and not easy to satisfy. In the 1994-95 season Juventus played two UEFA cup games against Borussia Dortmund and Parma in Milano, and the stadium was sold out both times, 85 000 spectators were present. Had those games been played in Turin not more than 40-50 000 spectators would have gone to the games. Juventus have also played two official games in Palermo in front of a sold out stadium, and one time in Bologna also in front of a sold out stadium. Another well known fact is that almost every away game Juventus play in the Serie A is sold out, and juventus enjoy a huge support in their away games in Italy.

The San Siro stadium in Milano was sold out for both games Juventus
played there in the 1994-95 season

I spoke to the owner of one of the shops in Turin who sell tickets for the Juventus games, he told me that he rarely sell tickets to people coming from Turin. Almost all the tickets he sell goes to people from other Italian cities and foreign fans. Another thing that has to be mentioned is that to each home game Juventus play, statistically almost 50% of the fans come from outside of Turin to watch the game. Switzerland and France are always well represented, and thousands of fans travel from Milano and the other Northern Italian cities every week to watch Juventus. Regions like Lombardia, Veneto, Emilia Romagna, Liguria, Marche and Sicilia always contribute with many fans. Juventus have huge support in Milano and the fans living there would like Juventus to move away from Turin. They mean that Juventus would fill up their stadium if they moved closer to Milano, for example to Novara. And they always argue with the Juventus fans from Turin about why they have to come to Turin to see the games, when instead the fans from Turin could come to Milano where Juventus enjoy a bigger support.It is very strange that Juventus doesn't manage to fill up their stadium coming from a big city like Turin with 900 000 innhabitants. To the big and important games when the spectators present rise to around 50-55 000, the majority of the extra spectators come from other Italian cities and from other countries to watch the games.Many reasons have been given to explain the poor spectator numbers on the Juventus games. The Delle Alpi stadium is one. The stadium is very unpopular because it is placed on the outskirts of Turin, and the spectators are divided from the picth by a huge and useless athletics pitch. The visibility is poor from the stands and the fans are very distant from the players. The athletic pitch will be removed and the stadium will have a more intimate atmosphere when the new stadium is ready in 2007.

Bad weather and poor pitch conditions is not unusual in Turin

Another important reason is that the Turin population is known to be cold and not very passionate. The teams from Roma and Milano have a much bigger attendance, but the two cities are also bigger than Turin. The economic situation in Turin is not good and big factories like Fiat have huge problems. The population has also decreased in the last years. The high costs of season tickets and regular tickets to the stadium keeps people away from the stadium, and many fans prefer to watch the games on Pay-TV instead. Both Juventus and Torino have suffered a sharpe decline in season tickets and in their average attendance in the last years. Torino F.C only sold 7 820 season tickets last season and had an average attendance of 11 087. Both clubs expect to have fewer season ticket holders and a new drop in the average attendance also in the 2004-2005 season. The only logical solution for the two clubs remains to drop the costs of the tickets in order to bring more people to the stadium. That a famous and strong club like Juventus has such a low average attendance is a real shame. In the 2004-2005 season Juventus have repeatedly dropped the ticket prices, but it still hasn't helped. The average attendance is still much lower than in the 2003-2004 season.Despite the myth, recent figures show that more people in Turin support Juventus than Torino F.C. The difference is that Juventus fans are often Italian and non-Italian immigrants to Turin, while the long-established Torinese tend to support Torino. Torino F.C who is the most popular team among the regular Torinese, now only have an average attendance of about 11 000 in their home games. And unlike Juventus,
Torino F.C don't have fans who come from outside the city to watch their games. This clearly shows that very few football fans in Turin go to the stadium and the Turin derby is rarely sold out. The last Turin derby which was played in the 2002-2003 season only had 19 000 spectators!

Here are the number of season tickets sold by Juventus since 1985

sesone sesone ticket difference
1985 1986 14,164
1986 1987 14,947 783
1987 1988 13,852 -1,095
1988 1989 16,689 2,837
1989 1990 14,484 -2,205
1990 1991 25,973 11,489(First season at Delle Alpi)
1991 1992 36,384 10,411
1992 1993 37,406 1,022
1993 1994 33,227 -4,179
1994 1995 33,122 -105
1995 1996 35,839 2,717
1996 1997 28,178 -7,661
1997 1998 40,338 12,160
1998 1999 43,533 3,195
1999 2000 34,284 -9,249
2000 2001 35,446 1,162
2001 2002 35,703 257
2002 2003 33,343 -2,360
2003 2004 28,531 -4,812
2004 2005 17,166 -11,365

Juventus beat their all time record when they sold over 43 000 season tickets in the 1998-99 season. The fans were deligthed by the excellent and succesful 1997-98 season, and bought season tickets like never before. The season after the number suffered a sharpe decline, and in the following four seasons Juventus sold an average of 35 000 season tickets. A strange fact is that only 28 000 fans bought season tickets in the 2003-2004 season, specially since Juventus were crowned Italian champions two times in a row. This should have waked the enthusiasm of the fans, instead the number suffered a decline of almost 5 000 season tickets from the previous season. The number of season ticket holders has suffered another sharp decline in the 2004-2005 season. Only 17 000 Juventus fans bought a season ticket even if great players were bought by the club in the summer of 2004. The scaring tendency in Turin now is that in the last seasons almost only season ticket holders go to the games. Juventus rarely sell more than 2 000 tickets for a regular home game. It is only for the big matches that travelers to Turin contribute to rising the spectator numbers.

Here is the average attendance of Juventus since 1985:

sesone sesone ticket difference
1985 1986 39,654
1986 1987 35,555 -4,099
1987 1988 33,082 -2,473
1988 1989 34,397 1,315
1989 1990 33,578 -819
1990 1991 43,114 9,536(First season at Delle Alpi)
1991 1992 51,832 8,718
1992 1993 45,869 -5,963
1993 1994 44,521 -1,348
1994 1995 47,866 3,345
1995 1996 42,060 -5,806
1996 1997 39,272 -2,788
1997 1998 47,348 8,076
1998 1999 47,168 -180
1999 2000 42,127 -5,041
2000 2001 41,307 -820
2001 2002 40,658 -649
2002 2003 39,772 -886
2003 2004 34,980 -4,792

The average attendance of Juventus has dropped every season in the last 6 years, a scaring tendency. While the average attendance was 47 000 in the 1997-98 and 1998-99 seasons, the average attendance has dropped to 35 000 in the 2003-2004 season. Juventus didn't have more than 31 000 spectators for the majority of their home games last season, but the number of spectators in the big matches contribute to rise the average attendance. So when we see that the average attendance of last
season was only 35 000, then we can also understand that the Juventus directors do not want to build a stadium with a bigger capacity than 42000. The only problem is that it will be more difficult for fans from abroad and other Italian cities to get tickets for the games, since almost only season ticket holders will get seats in the new stadium. It is the Juventus fans in Turin who are to blame for the reduced capacity, not the Juventus directors. Had 60 000 fans gone to see Juventus every game, then Juventus would have built a new stadium with a 60 000 capacity. If we look at the figures for the spectators in the Champions League and Coppa Italia then the figures get horrible. The worst example was the second group stage of the Champions League 2001-2002, Juventus had 4 000 spectators against Bayer Leverkusen, 17 000 spectators against Deportivo La Coruna and 7 000 spectators against Arsenal! These numbers are a disgrace and a scandal. In the Coppa Italia 2001-2002, Juventus beat their all time negative record when only 239 spectators watched the home game against Sampdoria. In the 2002-2003 season only 400 watched the game against Reggina and 800 watched the game against Perugia! In the 2003-2004 Champions League Juventus had an average attendance of 17 000 spectators in their four home games. The average attendance at home in the Coppa Italia last season was also only 17 000 spectators.

Many people like me who live a long way from Turin, get angered by the fact that the innhabitants of Turin don't watch the Juventus games. While I and thousands of other fans spend huge sums of money to travel from abroad to see our team, the innhabitants of Turin think they are real fans watching the games on the TV. Many Juventus fans have said that it is a pitty that Juventus come from Turin and not another city, and that it is a disgrace that the Turin innhabitants don't show their team more support. Juventus is the most popular team in Italy, but Milan, Inter, Roma and Lazio have much more spectators on their home games.In the last 5 years
the Juventus directors have often threatened to leave Turin in anger over the stadium problem, but after my opinion it has also been in anger for the poor support and attendance in their own city. As i mentioned before, in every city Juventus play the stadium is almost always sold out, except for Turin. Therefore the Juventus directors also took in consideration a few years ago to become a globetrotter team playing their home games in many different Italian cities. For example the Italian Supercup final between Juventus and Parma two seasons ago, was rescheduled from Turin to Tripoli in Libya to have a bigger number of spectators. Last seasons Italian Supercup final between Juventus and Milan was
played in New York.Juventus enjoy the best support of all Italian teams when they play away in the Serie A. It has to be said that only few supporters from Turin travel to the away games in the Serie A. The reason for the massive support when they play away are the more than 1000 Juventus Clubs all over Italy. These clubs are good at organizing away trips. To the away games in the Serie A no more than a few hundred travel from Turin, while many thousands come from all over Italy. Unfortunately few Juventus supporters travel abroad to see Juventus in their away games in the Champions League.

A thing that has to be said after so much frustration over the Turin population, is that the fans who go to the games do a fantastic job and give their team great support. The supportergroup Fighters is considered to be one of the best supportergroups in Italy, and they create a good atmosphere in the stadium. Watching a Juventus game in Turin is a fantastic experience, and is highly recommended. The problem
is that the stadium is almost always half empty.My opinion is that
Juventus should build the new Delle Alpi stadium with a capacity of 50 000
spectators. This way the stadium will have a capacity worthy of a big club like Juventus, and it will be possible for Juventus fans living abroad and in other Italian cities to get tickets for the game. The stadium will also not look so empty against the smaller teams. We have looked at an half empty stadium in almost every Juventus home game for 12 years now, it's time to fill up the stadium. I also think that a new and popular stadium in Turin will bring more people to the games. Juventus supporters all over the world started a petition last summer against the reduced capacity on the new Delle Alpi stadium, but when the season ticket holders and the average attendance have declined another time the Juventus directors have proven they are right.When clubs all over the World build new stadiums the season ticket holders and the average attendance always rise in the first seasons. When Juventus moved from the Stadio Comunale to the Stadio Delle Alpi in 1990, the season ticket holders rose by more than 11 000 in the first season. The average attendance rose with more than
9 000. In the second season of the Stadio Delle Alpi, the season ticket holders had increased by 21 000 persons from the 1989-90 season at the Stadio Comunale. In the same period the average attendance had increased with 18 000 spectators. The scaring thing when Juventus now build their new stadium, is that the Juventus directors won't allow this well known attendance boom effect as the capacity could be smaller than their current average attendance. I think that if the new stadium looks nice, is intimate, the prices aren't too high and the visibility of the game is good, then Juventus could have increased their average attendance dramatically in the years to come.

In the summer of 2003 Juventus finalized the deal with the city council of Turin and bought the Delle Alpi stadium. Juventus will pay the city council 25 million Euros for the stadium that was built in 1990. The Juventus directors were deligthed with the deal and will now start working on
the detailes of the new stadium. Juventus will build a new stadium inside the current Delle Alpi stadium. The running pictch will be removed and the
spectators will sit only few meters from the pitch like in English stadiums. The new stadium will be given a sponsor name and will not be named after Giovanni Agnelli as the fans hoped for. The capacity will be reduced to 42 000 seats. Juventus will also build outside the stadium. Juventus plan to build a hotel, a shopping centre, a Juve store, a Juventus museum, a cinema, a bowling hall, restaurants and new offices for the club.The work will start in May 2005 and end in August 2007. Juventus will continue to play in the stadium during the construction, but the capacity may for some games be reduced to 25 000 seats during the construction period. Torino Football Club will build a new stadium at the ground of the old Stadio Comunale. The work started in September 2003. Their stadium will have a capacity of 28 000 seats and be ready at the end of 2005. Torino will play at the Delle Alpi stadium until their own stadium is finished. The negotiations of the purchase of the Delle Alpi lasted six years. Juventus
will present their final plans for the new stadium soon.

1. The Turin population are cold and not very passionate

2. Statistically almost 50% of the fans come from outside of Turin to watch the game, few Juventus supporters in Turin go to the stadium.

3. The Delle Alpi stadium is very unpopular because it is placed on the outskirts of Turin, and the spectators are divided from the picth by a huge and useless athletics pitch. The visibility of the game and the players is very poor.

4. The economic situation in Turin is not good and big factories like Fiat have huge problems.

5. The high costs of season tickets and regular tickets to the stadium keeps people away from the stadium, and many fans prefer to watch the games on Pay-TV instead. In the 2004-2005 season Juventus have repeatedly dropped the ticket prices, but it still hasn't helped.

OP

neath_lad

Jun 25, 2004
  • Thread Starter #165
    "Juventus will continue to play in the stadium during the construction, but the capacity may for some games be reduced to 25 000 seats during the construction period."

like having a lower capacity of 25k for a few months will affect us, at least stadio delli empty will be full.:D

p.s. awesome article.

Philipp00

Jan 31, 2004
    Thank you!!! That is really very interesting but it makes me really sad. I know no other huge club like Juve taht has such problems. When I see matches from second divisions and the stadiums are full there I always asks me why people do not go and watch Juve games. It is really a shame that so less fans come to the delle alpi. I can understand the management that they want to reduce the capacity. juventus will be much more attractive for sponsors if the stadium is sold out.

I really think that the delle alpi ist not a good stadium to watch football. the fans are too far away from the pitch, it is hardly impossible to see something from the first 10 rows and it is hard to create a good atmosphere.
    Moreover the delle alpi looks cold and gray and much older than 14 years.

What makes me sad ist that there are also much less people who go to the big matches and the attendance in the cl is a disgrace.

I relly hope that we start rebuilding the stadium soon because I would love to see Juve play in a modern stadium as soon as possible and it will be a totally different atmosphere when the fans are close to the pitch. Thats why I really like the stadium in genoa.

I think that if we really build a stadium with 42.000 seats it will be sold out for nearly every match because the attendance will rise. Thats not good for fans like me because it will be very difficult to get tickets for the big matches but its better than an empty delle alpi.

I would really have liked if the stadium would have been named after giovanni agnelli but i think it is hard to finance a new stadium and the other projects juventus wants to realise without a big sponsor. I just hope that the stadium gets a cool name if we have to sell the name.

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Philipp00 ] ++

I would really have liked if the stadium would have been named after giovanni agnelli but i think it is hard to finance a new stadium and the other projects juventus wants to realise without a big sponsor. I just hope that the stadium gets a cool name if we have to sell the name.

as long as they dont call it Nike Arena

OP

neath_lad

Jun 25, 2004
  • Thread Starter #168
    ++ [ originally posted by Don Bes ] ++

as long as they dont call it Nike Arena
    arsenal got £100mill for the sponsor of their stadium and shirts and we could get that type of money for sponsoring our new ground, so im for it.

but i would also like it to be called after agnelli.

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
    I must say that the tickets for the juve in games are too expensive... I was in Munich as played against Bayern, and the ticket cost only 35 euros!

Jan 7, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by neath_lad ] ++

arsenal got £100mill for the sponsor of their stadium and shirts and we could get that type of money for sponsoring our new ground, so im for it.

but i would also like it to be called after agnelli.

seriosly, who would take a team seriosly if they play at "nike arena"

:cheesy::groan:

Juvefreak

Aug 25, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by Len ] ++
    35? Expensive? Thats a CL game against Bayern.....
    You didn't understand Maresca!! He wanted to say that the tickets in Delle Alpi are too expensive and that his tickets in Munich were cheap.

By the way: I paid 50€ for the tickets in munich, but it was ok...

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Juvefreak ] ++
    Oh sorry, Maresca already correct you...
    no problem, where are you from in Germany? Ich hab auch 50 euros bezahlt, denn ich hab die tickets bei ebay gekauft, aber original hätten die 35 euros gekostet?? das war schon ein geiles spiel oder?

Philipp00

Jan 31, 2004
    I also think that the prices are a little bit too high. People who do not earn so much money can"t spend that much money on tickets if there are one or two matches every week. And if you go to watch a match with your family you will easily need 100€ for one game. Thats simply too much for al lot of people. I know that the tickets in curva sud and nord are cheaper but all the other tickets are too expensive in my eyes.

Philipp00

Jan 31, 2004
    I can`t see a lot of italian football because they don`t show it on TV in Austria and so it is hard for me to say if one player is better than another or somebody is a promising youngster or something like that. It is hard for me to say if a player is good or bad if I dont`see him play. That`s the reason why I can`t write very much about players or matches.

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Philipp00 ] ++
    I can`t see a lot of italian football because they don`t show it on TV in Austria and so it is hard for me to say if one player is better than another or somebody is a promising youngster or something like that. It is hard for me to say if a player is good or bad if I dont`see him play. That`s the reason why I can`t write very much about players or matches.
    can buy Premiere, they show italian football and all the CL Games. I have seen almost all games of juve this season.. This is really great.. I just have to pay 20 euros monthly.. well this only because of juve.. and I would pay even more for juve..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)