Junichi Inamoto: Why did he fail? (3 Viewers)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Dominic said:
Ah so Jun-Hide is Japanese, always thought you were Brittish :D.
I spend part of my child-hood in Britain, and part in U.S. Hence my English is far better than most in Japan. And I am staying in Britian for a bit ATM in order to improve my English this year and proceed to grad school in US. Which partly explains my rant for the British. I am absolutely convinced that once you live away from your native land by spending childhood in other parts then you develop some sort of anti-ism to that country without any reason. I was surprised to find I wasnt the only one.

Anyway, Nakamura is class. He started making a name around 1999 if I remember correctly with his classy left foot. He was skinny as a bone back them though. You think Shunsuke is weak right now then look at his earlier frame he would have got killed playing likes of Matrix. And I am not kidding.
Shunsuke is a weird case because he has actually become more publicly recognized and viewed since moving to Celtic. I guess it comes with playing for a team that strive to win not to survive and the fact that he is playing consistently in a pretty piss-poor leauge also helps. Cozza, by the way, got to be one of the most undderated players in Italia for last 3-4 years. He is sheer class -a la Giovanni Tedesco.

It was petty he didnt make the WC 2002 team because Troussier thought he had one too many fantasista in his team. Alex (who was primarily attacker back then), Ono, and Nakamura were competing for two spots. Ono was almost certain pick - that meant it was either Alex or Nakamura. Troussier to the former. I know some till gripe at this but I consider Alex to be Japanese and I have no problem with that. By the way, some of rants against Alex by commentators during the international matches is out of line and they should stop. One match against Costa Rica last year, Miyamoto was clearly the one who mis-positioned his stance and commentator goes "It's not Alex again." - They were rooting for Murai back then who had one good game against nobody Korean RB.

Back to Nakamura - If we have anything to thank Zico then he is the one who saw Nakamura had genuine skills that is not only good for Asia but for a wider world. He knew as a technician himself the prodigious talent of his protege and Nakamura essentially replaced Nakata as a fulcrum of the team. I think he was convinced of this in the Asia Cup in China. He run the whole team based on Nakamura - and whilst some may say unexpected rise of Tamada Keiji was the biggest gain for Japan - I say Zico privately would have most pleased that Nakamura is more than pretty decorative player. Luckily for us in that tournament Korea got knocked out with a blinder of match against Iran - what was essentially a lets see who score more match - and Iran itself got knocked out by home team China. If we played either of those two then who knows what could have happen.

There is no doubt that Nakamura is the fulcrum of new Osim Japan. I still think he has a few good years in him, and we can slowly replace him with more direct, vibrant Morimoto as we head for WC. It is nice to see Shunsuke becoming more direct and scoring more goals than usual. Everyone knows he can see passes that nobody can see (Quotes from Stracchan) but he is also getting end of things these days.

As for Jeeks comment, I also heard the possibility that Nakamura could have some foreign blood. I wasnt whether it was Korean or Japanese. I wouldnt be surprised if his Grandmother is Chinese though since Yokohama is known to inhabit many Chinese migrants. Same for Koreans, Osaka, and Inamoto.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Jun, I always felt sad about Nakamura not getting the chance to make it big. I thought Reggina would be his ticket to a big club, but no. I thought he deserved that, especially knowing how Nakata's career went, how he was so big at one point.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
gray said:
Ahh okay, the way you phrased it led me to believe that you're not fond of him for non-footballing reasons, and I couldn't figure out what's to dislike about the guy. He's definitely not the most technically gifted player (and he himself is the first to admit that) but he makes up for it in work ethic and commitment.

Yeah I saw his performance against Gamba, and he was really impressive then. I've always thought he was a decent player, but at the same time he seems to disappoint at times when it'd be easier to do something useful. The most frustrating thing about the guy is his tendency to balloon attempted crosses into the stands when he's not under a great deal of pressure :disagree:
I guess, I am in general favor players who have great technical abilities and a vision to create. But yeah regarding Park Ji-Sung, I think he is a good guy with excellent work ethic. If anything else, the contrast betwen South Korea and Japan cannot be starker with our star players. Korean players are geninely big, strong, physically good, whereas he focus more on technical tactical side of things.

Anyway Lee Chun-Soo is one player I really do believe can be successful in Europe. Lets put it that way.:)

Do they live Asian matches in Austrailia btw?:shocked:

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
Jun-hide said:

As for Jeeks comment, I also heard the possibility that Nakamura could have some foreign blood. I wasnt whether it was Korean or Japanese. I wouldnt be surprised if his Grandmother is Chinese though since Yokohama is known to inhabit many Chinese migrants. Same for Koreans, Osaka, and Inamoto.

Man, I was kidding :)

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Martin said:
Jun, I always felt sad about Nakamura not getting the chance to make it big. I thought Reggina would be his ticket to a big club, but no. I thought he deserved that, especially knowing how Nakata's career went, how he was so big at one point.
Cheers Martin.:pint:

I have always admired Nakata but I too secretly doubted whether he had enough muscles to be a star in Europe. Moreover, whether he had enough skills to be called a fantasista when he playing against guys raised in Sao Paulo, Rio, Madrid, and Rome. And I think Cozza was a great player despite only playing more Reggina so I have no problem with Reggina even if coach could have made some adjustment to maximize the talent.

So do you reckon he might get picked up by a team in La Liga or EPL? Nakamura always never hid his desire to move to a La Liga - Depor was interested but I think the deal broke through because Depor would only take him on loan - which means they just want marketing exposure - whereas Reggina wanted to sold him outright.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Jeeks said:
Man, I was kidding :)
I see no offence taken.:D

However, it is widely suspected that some of our best stars are either of Chinese origin or Korean. Nobody talks about it open air but there are always rumors and gossips going on. Anyway who care - as long as they make a contribution I am fine. The thing I can't stand is that there seems to be some players in Europe who picks team that naturally gives them bigger chance of win without even visiting that country *cough* Hargreaves *cough*.

I certainly didnt complain when Ogasawra got naturalized and played for us in World Baseball Classic. And I am Italians didnt mind Camo's contribution (To satisfy Dominic's passion :D ).

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Jun-hide said:
So do you reckon he might get picked up by a team in La Liga or EPL? Nakamura always never hid his desire to move to a La Liga - Depor was interested but I think the deal broke through because Depor would only take him on loan - which means they just want marketing exposure - whereas Reggina wanted to sold him outright.
Well you know how players' careers are formed in all kinds of unpredictable ways. I think there is a window of opportunity that comes into view for player who are let's say up 25 years of age and doing really well right at this moment. Maybe 25 is already too late, I'm talking about the kind of Kaka signing, a player signed to be 'the next star' if you will. Then there comes a time later on when they can still get that big club contract, but only with a prospect of being a secondary figure. Like Ludovic Giuly.

And I think Nakamura's 'moment' was there in his first or second season at Reggina, when he was still 'new enough' to be 'exciting' and he was making the highlights. But apparently, no big club wanted him and eventually he ended up in Scotland, which to my recollection has never launched anyone's career. So I'm pretty sure he missed his chance, or the chance never came, however you put it.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Martin said:
Well you know how players' careers are formed in all kinds of unpredictable ways. I think there is a window of opportunity that comes into view for player who are let's say up 25 years of age and doing really well right at this moment. Maybe 25 is already too late, I'm talking about the kind of Kaka signing, a player signed to be 'the next star' if you will. Then there comes a time later on when they can still get that big club contract, but only with a prospect of being a secondary figure. Like Ludovic Giuly.

And I think Nakamura's 'moment' was there in his first or second season at Reggina, when he was still 'new enough' to be 'exciting' and he was making the highlights. But apparently, no big club wanted him and eventually he ended up in Scotland, which to my recollection has never launched anyone's career. So I'm pretty sure he missed his chance, or the chance never came, however you put it.
I see. I pretty much think of the same as well. He probably missed his chance to join a big club in his career then again I am happy that he is playing a consistent matches in Scotland. That is better for us because I have never heard of player who keeps his intensity, his fitness, his form whilst sitting on the bench. If anythingelse Nakamura seems to be a quite a fan-favorite and it would be nice to see his career off in a place where he is welcomed just like Del Piero.:toast: .

And I am glad Catania took a chance on Morimoto at such a young age. I convinced with right environment he can become a success. My bet is that he will get a proper chance next year with Catania at Serie B. Serie B is better for young player than J-League IMO. One player I feel missed similar chance to play properly in Europe is Ogasaware - He has been constant Kashima for all those years - and they are certainly missing him these days. Can't believe West-Ham ditched with one trial -He is technically miles better than most of their scrubs.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Jun-hide said:
I see. I pretty much think of the same as well. He probably missed his chance to join a big club in his career then again I am happy that he is playing a consistent matches in Scotland. That is better for us because I have never heard of player who keeps his intensity, his fitness, his form whilst sitting on the bench. If anythingelse Nakamura seems to be a quite a fan-favorite and it would be nice to see his career off in a place where he is welcomed just like Del Piero.:toast: .
Yeah, sure it's nice that he's doing well in Scotland at least. The fans seem to love him.

Jun-hide said:
And I am glad Catania took a chance on Morimoto at such a young age. I convinced with right environment he can become a success. My bet is that he will get a proper chance next year with Catania at Serie B. Serie B is better for young player than J-League IMO. One player I feel missed similar chance to play properly in Europe is Ogasaware - He has been constant Kashima for all those years - and they are certainly missing him these days. Can't believe West-Ham ditched with one trial -He is technically miles better than most of their scrubs.
Oh he's in Italy already, I didn't know. :D Yeah, Serie B is a great place to start indeed. How's he doing so far?

OP
Rhizoid
Oct 3, 2004
  • Thread Starter #33
    It was great news! He is the representative of Panasonic Team in Japan - GAMBA OSAKA!!! :touched:

Too bad Galatasaray lost. Let's hope he performs better soon :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)