Junichi Inamoto: Why did he fail? (1 Viewer)

Oct 3, 2004
After his brilliant World Cup 2002 display - a great future was ahead for this ex-Gamba Osaka midfielder.

A transfer to Arsenal seemed to be a move in the right direction for Inamoto-san in 2001. A couple of Carling cup performances, despite Arsenal winning the double that season, it seemed that Wenger had no space for Inamoto-san in the team. :cry:

Off he goes to Fulham where played a decent amount of football for the next two season, scoring 9 goals for them in total (EPL, Cups).

Then he began shifting clubs, going to West Brom, then loaned out to Cardiff City (!) doing f*ck all with them, then coming back to play with the baggies however, they got relegated. He featured in 22 EPL games for them last season with zero goals.

TBH he's just a shadow of that potential superstar we saw in 2002...this guy should've been the next Nakamura or Nakata.

Nowadays he plays his football in Galatasaray. I've yet to see his displays, and would appreciate it if any Turkish League viewers can update us on this player.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Snoop

Sabet is a nasty virgin
Oct 2, 2001
he is doing bad with galatasaray, just as much as any regular player, he will probably be sold within a year.

Good topic rhizoid, he is one of the players I admired in wc02, I am dissapointed as much as you are, I even wanted him at Juve a few years back..

btw, wasn't he an atacking midfielder back then? he is playing as a defensive player with Galatasaray, and underperforming there..

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
Inamoto just simply doesnt have technical ability, tactical astuteness, or physique to suceed in Europe. He is career is overrated, and Arsenal bought him to increase shirt sales. Of course they didnt quite realize that Serie A is more popular in Japan than EPL by a street, and there is nothing Arsenal can do about that.

Anyway, I do like to recognize the contribution these first real generation of players (lets face it the one before was just amateurs who turned into pros) made to the Japanese football by venturing out and raising the reputations of our game. I certainly enjoyed our team giving England a lesson on how to play crisp one touch, flowing game in their backyard:D. I can't remember seeing a good player probable exception of Kazu, Ihara, and Akita before these lot came in.

Nonetheless, I would like to dispel the myth that Japanese national team relies on its "foreign-based stars" and there is a wide range of differences in skills between those plying their trades in Europe and those in J-League. Nothing cannot be untrue. I bet you very few would have heard Fukunishi, Tanaka Tatsuya, Kubo, Matsui Daisuke, Tanaka Marcus, Konno Yasuyuki (I still havent forgiven him for his disasterous WC though) et al - they are all very good players who are all far better than Inamoto IMO. If anything Morimoto is the real thing - the kid has some serious skills and he is fearless. The cocky bastard tried to meg R.Carlos couple years back.:D . He has the making of fan-favorite.

BTW, I think have heard rumors that Inamoto is of Korean heritage.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Jun-hide! Now there's a poster whose posts I've missed reading

Jun-hide said:
BTW, I think have heard rumors that Inamoto is of Korean heritage.
:wth: I haven't heard that before.

Maybe that'd explain why he sux though :p

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
gray said:
Jun-hide! Now there's a poster whose posts I've missed reading

:wth: I haven't heard that before.

Maybe that'd explain why he sux though :p
Cheers gray. I didn't post much last year because I was insanely busy but I am taking a year off and preparing myself for the graduate programes in the states.

Anyway, from the rumors that I have heard, Inamoto's both parents have Korean nationality - and he became naturalized at a young age - I cannot confirm the validity of the story though since they are many players with rumors of Korean heritage. Nakata is another one that is said to be part Korean.

Anyway my belief on Inamoto is more than just nationality concerns. I just don't think he is that good. I have play the regularly myself and what I admire from the players is the way in which they elevate the game to another level. And nationality doesnt matter in this regard.:D . However, I must admit I do not have much fondness of Korean players, especially Park Ji-Sung.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
mark83 said:
Junichi Inamoto: Why did he fail?

Because he is Japanese.
Wait till Morimoto becomes mature :cool: :D .

I suspect you might regret what you said.:p even though I shouldnt build up this kid too much. And our recent success with exports havent been too good (Hirayama Shota was all time classic - overrated crap).

I really do believe he represents new generation of players who has been grooved with the belief that they can really compete with the European guys. I was highly impressed the way in which he attacked R.Carlos and Carlos famously asked the name and age of the player after the match. He is every good as the European, and South American prospects, even if he is at the end of day he is just a prospect.

Anyway while I mainly focus on watching European leagues - our league has some good players - and teams like Urawa Reds makes profits these days - so looking at how things going we might blow past Korea sometime soon in the future.:p :D

gray

Apr 22, 2003
mark83 said:
Get serious, dude!:D
I'm dead serious. Quality poster if there ever was one.

Jun-hide said:
Cheers gray. I didn't post much last year because I was insanely busy but I am taking a year off and preparing myself for the graduate programes in the states.
Nice! Best wishes with that my man ;)

Jun-hide said:
However, I must admit I do not have much fondness of Korean players, especially Park Ji-Sung.
Interesting; might I ask why? Normally I wouldn't be all that curious, but Park is generally well-liked and respected by fans and non-fans alike for his hard work ethic, even if it's just because he overcame his flat-footedness to play at the top level.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
gray said:
I'm dead serious. Quality poster if there ever was one.

Nice! Best wishes with that my man ;)

Interesting; might I ask why? Normally I wouldn't be all that curious, but Park is generally well-liked and respected by fans and non-fans alike for his hard work ethic, even if it's just because he overcame his flat-footedness to play at the top level.
IMO, I am not still fully convinced of his qualities. I see him misdribble, mis-control too much which one cannot expect from that of Manchester United players. I do think he is a good player - his goal scoring record in Japan is excellent. If I remember correctly he had a period after WC where he just could stop scoring for Kyoto and getting on a score sheet on 7 to 8 matches in a row. But I just do not think Park is a player of Man U calibre, especially being an attacking one. One of the best in Asia no doubt, though.

On the other hand, I guess I am just a bit jealous that Korean players are doing well in Europe.:p

Speaking of Korean player, I think Lee Chun-Soo is by far best of the lot and he plays for K-League. I saw him play against Gamba Osaka - if there was ever a better definition of rape in football - then just watch how Mr Lee took apart Myamoto to pieces (Who is another one making living off his reputation these days). I havent seen him much but if performances against us in East-Asia Cup last year, WC, Gamba Osaka - are anything to go by - then he is undoubtedly the best player in Asia.

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Jun-hide said:
IMO, I am not still fully convinced of his qualities. I see him misdribble, mis-control too much which one cannot expect from that of Manchester United players. I do think he is a good player - his goal scoring record in Japan is excellent. If I remember correctly he had a period after WC where he just could stop scoring for Kyoto and getting on a score sheet on 7 to 8 matches in a row. But I just do not think Park is a player of Man U calibre, especially being an attacking one. One of the best in Asia no doubt, though.
Ahh okay, the way you phrased it led me to believe that you're not fond of him for non-footballing reasons, and I couldn't figure out what's to dislike about the guy. He's definitely not the most technically gifted player (and he himself is the first to admit that) but he makes up for it in work ethic and commitment.

Jun-hide said:
Speaking of Korean player, I think Lee Chun-Soo is by far best of the lot and he plays for K-League. I saw him play against Gamba Osaka - if there was ever a better definition of rape in football - then just watch how Mr Lee took apart Myamoto to pieces (Who is another one making living off his reputation these days). I havent seen him much but if performances against us in East-Asia Cup last year, WC, Gamba Osaka - are anything to go by - then he is undoubtedly the best player in Asia.
Yeah I saw his performance against Gamba, and he was really impressive then. I've always thought he was a decent player, but at the same time he seems to disappoint at times when it'd be easier to do something useful. The most frustrating thing about the guy is his tendency to balloon attempted crosses into the stands when he's not under a great deal of pressure :disagree:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)