Jorge Martínez (1 Viewer)

Gian

COME HOME MOGGI
Apr 12, 2009
I'm not some massive Martinez backer, but in my opinion he hasn't been given a proper chance to excel at our club.

Would you buy a holding midfielder, play him as a defender, and then when things don't work out, after a couple months, say that he's had his chance, but failed? Especially after investing heavily? Would that make any sense at all?

Because we bought a forward, and now we're playing him in midfield, and unsurprisingly, it's not going particularly well... and it certainly doesn't help that he's had early season injury problems, either.

Considering we're short forwards right now (especially in the Europa competition), I find it pretty damn perplexing that we're not giving Martinez an opportunity up front.
I don't know the your defination of a proper chance, but he has had his chances.
- Played the home leg against Sturmgraz, didn't do anything effective
- Played away to Bari, didn't do anything effective and got injured
- Played against Shitty, a few nice touches still nothing effective
- Played against Red Bull, should've been red carded and still did nothing effective.

To compare Krasic was shining like gold since the Sampdoria match (matchday 2) and Quag pulled himself together and started assisting and score goals. Aquilani was our best CM in passing since the Caglari match (he was only given one chance before that against Palermo as a sub when we're 2-0 down)

It's easy to say he didn't had any chances, but everyone has had his chances, Tiago had 2 seasons as a chance and did nothing.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Rollie

Apr 15, 2008
I hope we give him as much time as we give Amauri. :tup:
Dude, I think you're obsession with Amauri has become unhealthy. :D

Don't worry... it sounds like Dzeko's coming, and Amauri could very well be on his way out (or at least buried at the end of the bench, once reinforcements arrive).

Anyway, there's quite a difference between these two players, and their situations.

Comparing Amauri to a guy who has been on our team for a few months, and been either played out of position, or injured the ENTIRE time here, is pretty ludicrous.

I don't know the your defination of a proper chance, but he has had his chances.
- Played the home leg against Sturmgraz, didn't do anything effective
- Played away to Bari, didn't do anything effective and got injured
- Played against Shitty, a few nice touches still nothing effective
- Played against Red Bull, should've been red carded and still did nothing effective.

To compare Krasic was shining like gold since the Sampdoria match (matchday 2) and Quag pulled himself together and started assisting and score goals. Aquilani was our best CM in passing since the Caglari match (he was only given one chance before that against Palermo as a sub when we're 2-0 down)

It's easy to say he didn't had any chances, but everyone has had his chances, Tiago had 2 seasons as a chance and did nothing.
After reading my post, you don't know what my definition of a 'proper chance' is?

Seriously?

It would be a player being PLAYED IN HIS PROPER POSITION, with a little bit of continuity, which Martinez has yet to have an opportunity to do. This isn't Amauri being in a drought for eons, it's not Tiago failing to impose himself on a game over the course of a couple seasons. Sure, Martinez has been useless. But a lot of good players are useless if they're not properly deployed.

Aside from that, you think producing 4 examples of matches played with poor return means that a player should simply be sold?

Last I checked, Krasic thrives in our 4-4-2 (and loved that spot before he arrived), Aquilani has always been a central midfielder, and Qtube's always been a forward.

I'm not opposed to selling Martinez right now, if we can get close to what we paid for him in return. I am opposed to selling the player for a significant loss, especially if we don't even try fielding him in a more appropriate position before doing so.

I was always perplexed by the purchase, I'm even more confused by the way were using the player when it's obvious his characteristics don't suit the role he's been given. Frankly, it all just makes zero sense to me.

He may turn out to be far, far below what we ultimately require, but considering our current dearth of forwards - especially for Europa league - and considering our strikers poor form/return (Amauri), I think it would be wise to at least TRY Martinez up front, before kicking his ass to the curb.

Boksic

May 11, 2005
I'm not some massive Martinez backer, but in my opinion he hasn't been given a proper chance to excel at our club.

Would you buy a holding midfielder, play him as a defender, and then when things don't work out, after a couple months, say that he's had his chance, but failed? Especially after investing heavily? Would that make any sense at all?

Because we bought a forward, and now we're playing him in midfield, and unsurprisingly, it's not going particularly well... and it certainly doesn't help that he's had early season injury problems, either.

Considering we're short forwards right now (especially in the Europa competition), I find it pretty damn perplexing that we're not giving Martinez an opportunity up front.
:agree:

Totally agree, far too early to judge him, he barely had a preseason and hasn't had a chance to get going having played coming off injuries.

Red

-------
Nov 26, 2006
It's not just the injuries.

In both games he's played (Man City and Salzburg), he has had to spend most of his time tracking back, rather than getting the ball in the final third where he would have the chance to show what he can do.

His start certainly hasn't shown much to get excited about, but I'm not going to write him off just yet.

Marceℓℓo

Mar 16, 2007
I think him failing so far is mainly due to the constant niggling injuries. So far he looks unable to track back and defend, he never played that role at Catania. He was famous for beating his man with his excellent technique and his powerful headers. He need to play as a winger in a 4-3-3 or as a support striker.

Forza El Malaka!

Edit: Over at vecchiasignora.com they call him "too fat":lol:

Kasaki

Moggi's Assistant
Jun 1, 2010
just watched the game, and Iunno if juventuz members want ronaldo-esque performances every match, but for a guy who is just warming up he looked decent, like how he attacked and had good ball control. If anything we should be tearing sissoko apart.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
dont tear to much,we need to be bale to offload him for some nice cash !

dont compare martinez to krasic please, it only happens once every so many years a creative player makes such impact right off the bat.

martinez got injured and had no preseason, we indeed, should give him the chances amauri gets.

and thats quite alot isnt it

Dominic

Jan 30, 2004
I DO think he can play as midfield winger, but he should have more freedom to stick closer to opponents box.

The Krasic comparison is unfair, rarely has a new player had such an impact. Only Sissoko maybe, let's hope that Sissokos current form is not an omen for Krasic..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)