John Elkann (8 Viewers)

Zzak

Sep 11, 2014
But...didn't Gianni Agnelli had any other heirs? I mean... I understand that Andreea Agnelli wasn't selected as heir...he's not the right material, but there must have been someone else. Why this guy?

BayernFan

Feb 17, 2016
Liar! Youre a Nazi loving $#@!. Why do you think today's German society cant produce a man as great as Adolf btw? They became too soft imo, even France could roflstomp them nowadays
Nah i dont like or support nazi ideas way to extreme.. but damn they had some great uniforms during that time :tuttosport: apparantly it was desiged by Hugo Boss, no wonder why it looked good then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veztNJQyRJg

PhRoZeN

Livin with Mediocre
Mar 29, 2006
Elkann's parents were Jew according to wiki

His father Alain Elkann was a popular author/novelist who worked for Jewish magazines

But he was raised as a Catholic. Meh pass.

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
But...didn't Gianni Agnelli had any other heirs? I mean... I understand that Andreea Agnelli wasn't selected as heir...he's not the right material, but there must have been someone else. Why this guy?
Because he is by far the most suitable/competent of those available? (which turns out to be incredibly short list). His grandfather chose him to be the heir of burden heavy multinational empire 20 years ago for a reason (and besides being Giannis only direct grand children with Lapo and a sister, he has also proven him right with how succesful he has been). Its not easy to keep a direct line in your family dynasty while keeping it competent and competetive. And this fortunate family has plenty of misfortunes that sped up their succession process to say the least, as this below 7 year old financial times articles shows:

https://www.ft.com/content/e5772478-4f03-11df-b8f4-00144feab49a

Man in the News: John Elkann
Fiat’s cosmopolitan new chairman could mark a watershed at the carmaker, writes Paul Betts

he Agnelli family are often described as Italy’s Kennedys and, in two respects at least, the hold they exert on the popular imagination is similar. Both are glamorous, rich and powerful, regularly filling the pages of gossip magazines. Both have also suffered a series of tragedies and crises that lend their respective dynastic sagas a Shakespearean air.

This week’s appointment of the 34-year-old John Elkann as chairman of Fiat, the automotive group founded in 1899 by his great-great-grandfather Giovanni Agnelli, is on the face of it only the latest chapter in the Agnelli story. But it could also mark a watershed in Italy’s leading industrial group as it prepares to split itself into two and embrace an even more multinational culture.

In the original script, Mr Elkann was not supposed to assume the mantle of the Fiat empire so quickly. The chosen heir was Giovanni Alberto Agnelli, the son of Umberto Agnelli, who ran the family holding company while his older and charismatic brother Gianni ruled over Fiat and, for some, Italy as well as the country’s “uncrowned king”.

Gianni’s own son, Edoardo, named after Gianni’s father who died in a plane crash, had never shown an interest in the family business. Edoardo committed suicide in 2000, but well before then Giovanni Alberto was being groomed for the top job, first at the Piaggio scooter company and then at Fiat. But in 1997, he died suddenly at the age of 33 of a rare form of stomach cancer. It was then that Mr Elkann, familiarly known as “Jaki” (short for his second name Jacob), was chosen as the man who would eventually take the helm of the family business interests and Fiat.

At the tender age of 22, he was appointed to the Fiat board while continuing to study for his engineering degree at the Turin polytechnic. He was sent to work incognito in a Fiat headlight manufacturing plant in Birmingham in the UK, lodging with a local family who had no clue who he was and spending his evenings eating dinners in front of the television. He then worked, incognito again, on a Fiat assembly line in Poland, and later in General Electric’s audit department in the US under the wing of Jack Welch, the former GE chairman and chief executive, who was a friend of his grandfather Gianni and a Fiat board member.

Gianni died in 2003 and his brother Umberto took over as Fiat chairman. Umberto died 16 months later and it was then that the young Mr Elkann was thrust in the limelight at a time when Fiat was on the ropes. The company nearly went bankrupt and had to be bailed out by its banks. A new chief executive, Sergio Marchionne, was recruited to sort out Fiat while the anointed heir pursued his apprenticeship for the top job under the watchful eye of Gianluigi Gabbetti, one of the family’s most trusted advisers.

Mr Elkann started to come into his own when he was made chairman of the Agnelli family holding companies two years ago. But it was not going to be easy, even though he had struck up a close relationship with Mr Marchionne. The Fiat chief executive was beginning to perform miracles by reviving what many at the time considered an industrial basket case.

First there was the crisis at Juventus, the venerable football club controlled by the Agnellis, which was caught up in a massive match-rigging scandal. Mr Elkann moved quickly to defuse the situation, sacking the management and appointing a new chief executive. The club was demoted to the second division but has since returned to Serie A, where it has been struggling this season.

Then his brother Lapo, at the time head of Fiat’s brand management, nearly died of a cocaine overdose. Meanwhile, his mother, Gianni’s daughter Margherita, decided to sue the executors of her father’s will as well as her own mother, claiming she had been kept in the dark over her father’s estate.

But he still found time for a fairytale wedding in the best of Agnelli family tradition. The bride was an Italian princess and the reception was held on her family’s island on Lake Maggiore. Guests including Henry Kissinger (an old family friend) and Silvio Berlusconi were treated to a five-metre-long cake covered with small chocolate replicas of the Fiat 500.

All this might suggest that the tall, good-looking and snappily dressed young Mr Elkann is a stereotypical Agnelli. Nothing could be further from the truth. If anything, he is quite shy and understated. Mr Kissinger, who has known the Agnelli heir since he was 12, describes him as “extremely intelligent with a great sense of responsibility. I’ve seen in the past years he has managed several crises with extreme dignity and wisdom.”

He is also a true cosmopolitan. He was born in New York; went to school in France; and lived in Brazil (where, incidentally, Fiat today sells more cars than in Italy). He speaks in English with Mr Marchionne – who is himself as Canadian and Swiss as he is Italian – and French with his brother Lapo.

Unlike his grandfather, who was known in his salad days as a dashing playboy, he is a compulsive worker. He avoids the limelight and does not like to engage in Rome power politics. The Italian establishment find him hard to understand.

For Italy has traditionally been a country that likes change as long as nothing changes. Mr Elkann and Mr Marchionne are ignoring the caveat. Mr Elkann has already streamlined the family assets into one listed company, Exor, and is now prepared to dilute control of its historic car business if this means he will end up with a smaller stake in a bigger and more viable business. He has also agreed to split the company in two, something his grandfather would never have even considered. Indeed, when Gianni Agnelli was negotiating a merger with Ford Europe in the 1980s, the deal fell apart because the two sides could not agree over control. Similar talks between Fiat and Daimler have foundered more recently for the same reason.

So as Mr Marchionne continues to oversee Fiat’s ambitious transatlantic and global revival strategy – something he could never have done without Mr Elkann giving him the necessary room to manoeuvre – the young Agnelli is quietly working behind the scenes, revolutionising the company and the family’s other extensive business assets.

Bolded the unfortunate string of deaths that lead to him taking the reigns (in 6 years 4 deaths, 3 of them major players in bussiness hierarchy).

But rest of the bolded parts are parts of him describes him in a way thats kinda admirable (and also funny lol with the undercover blue collar working in your own branches), considering its easy to succumb to certain lifestyle as an heir or not be that dedicated in your goals, its impressive to read how single minded hard worker he is in his chosen path.

- - - Updated - - -

I have nothing against Jews, I would just prefer it if our club was not run by one.
Are you serious? :lol:

- - - Updated - - -

Why do you encourage hateful idiocy? Even for your standards that is.

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
So thats why the logo has two Jjs, JewishJuve, or was it Johnelkann'sJuve?
Hmm, having a Jewish leader is good, they are well connected! In Italy masonry is huge, but apparently not huge enough to matter for European titles, we need that extra hand of jewish solidarity, hopefully we will stop drawing Real and Barca in the semis all the time...

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
I dont know whats weirder, us getting Cronios jewish conspiracy tinged theories :lol: Or Juve fans just suddenly finding out Elkann, who has been the majority owner of Juve since his grandfather and great uncle passed away, is actually a jewish name since his father is an italian-french - jewish author.

Zzak

Sep 11, 2014
I have a colleague at work that calls us Jewventus...I hate it but now it kinda has a whole different meaning.
I never associated the club with a jew...
It's annoying because I kinda liked John...except for his support of that cricket team

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 4)