João Cancelo (22 Viewers)

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
Because profit
yeah but it doesn't make sense even looking at profit.
If we could sell Alex Sandro even for 35m a relatively cheap sum that would be better profit than Cancelo.
And on Sandro role we have Spinazzola which looks as good if not better than Sandro.
While on Cancelo side our sub is De Sciglio.
We sell cause we need extra plusvalenza before 30 June and we can't sell anyonelse fast enough for a decent ammount of money

Buy on AliExpress.com

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
yeah but it doesn't make sense even looking at profit.
If we could sell Alex Sandro even for 35m a relatively cheap sum that would be better profit than Cancelo.
And on Sandro role we have Spinazzola which looks as good if not better than Sandro.
While on Cancelo side our sub is De Sciglio.
We sell cause we need extra plusvalenza before 30 June and we can't sell anyonelse fast enough for a decent ammount of money
Did it make sense when we sold Vidal?

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
Orgut says he's twice as good as Cancelo. So, who is wrong here?
I exaggerated a little bit but Heysaj can defend while Cancelo cant therefore he is a better fit for us..

- - - Updated - - -

Everyone entitled to their opinions.. Mine is a RB should be at least decent when defending + a level of concentration like he has - He has no business playing for us..

- - - Updated - - -

Momblano: Cancelo will be released to Man City on June 30th
Yeah we already heard about that Momblano guy - promised us Pep - I see no Pep in here..

Strickland

May 17, 2019
I don't get the Vidal comparison. Cancelo looks like he would cry if you shouted at him.

In a nutshell he hasn't got close to Vidal's level of importance, before he went a bit off the rails.
I think he provides two crucial things: end product in final third (1g8a past season) and a safe option to pass to when we're under pressure trying to bring the ball up the pitch. We'd be losing a lot if we downgrade him to MDS and I don't think we'd be able to find a replacement that brings those things for the reported 50m either

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
...a safe option to pass to when we're under pressure trying to bring the ball up the pitch...
yeah, let's just take a look at the ajax goal away at amsterdam. he simply cracked under pressure.

his main weakness lies in his carelessness and inconsistency. he's not a safe option for anything, that's the whole point about him. great potential, plenty of risk.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Hahha sell cancelo for 50 buy trippler for 30? Are they kidding me? We got lucky with a real good one last year. Just ask Szczesny during the interview he had with Paratici on youtube.
I mean, how many assists did Cancelo provide only to Cristiano?

Strickland

May 17, 2019
yeah, let's just take a look at the ajax goal away at amsterdam. he simply cracked under pressure.

his main weakness lies in his carelessness and inconsistency. he's not a safe option for anything, that's the whole point about him. great potential, plenty of risk.
and how many mistakes like that did he make? in other words can you give other examples of his mistakes leading to goals/dangerous counters?

I don't think a few slip-ups qualify as a trend, otherwise no defender can be considered a safe option. overall I trust Cancelo with the ball more than I trust any of our defenders and midfielders besides Pjanic, unlike most of them he's got the courage and the skill to play the ball and look for decent passes and linkups instead of dropping it like a hot potato to your closest teammate.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2015
and how many mistakes like that did he make? in other words can you give other examples of his mistakes leading to goals/dangerous counters?

I don't think a few slip-ups qualify as a trend, otherwise no defender can be considered as a safe option. overall I trust Cancelo with the ball more than I trust any of our defenders and midfielders except Pjanic.
I think the occasion counts. The game against Ajax in the CL and the game against Atalanta in the Coppa were knockout games where you can't afford to make mistakes.

I hope Cancelo stays as he clearly has ability, but he needs to learn when not to take risks with the ball.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
I think the occasion counts. The game against Ajax in the CL and the game against Atalanta in the Coppa were knockout games where you can't afford to make mistakes.

I hope Cancelo stays as he clearly has ability, but he needs to learn when not to take risks with the ball.
you don't get a player that's good at moving the ball forward and capable of breaking opposing teams press without him losing the ball in dangerous places at times. besides that Ajax goal is not 100% on him, if Cancelo had someone like Benatia or Chiellini not Rugani behind him when he made that mistake, we're probably not conceding there. Rugani just jogged back there and positioned himself horribly.

Jun 6, 2015
you don't get a player that's good at moving the ball forward and capable of breaking opposing teams press without him losing the ball in dangerous places at times. besides that Ajax goal is not 100% on him, if Cancelo had someone like Benatia or Chiellini not Rugani behind him when he made that mistake, we're probably not conceding there. Rugani just jogged back there and positioned himself horribly.
Any goal is quite rarely a 100% someones fault, but Cancelo was definitely the main culprit. You can make excuses for him all you like, but that won't change much.

We call out Bonucci for such mistakes, we called out Evra for such a mistake, I think it's intellectually dishonest to let Cancelo's mistakes slide just because you rate him as a player.

Gep

The Guv'nor
Jun 12, 2005
Hahha sell cancelo for 50 buy trippler for 30? Are they kidding me? We got lucky with a real good one last year. Just ask Szczesny during the interview he had with Paratici on youtube.
I mean, how many assists did Cancelo provide only to Cristiano?
Gonna stick my neck out and say 3. Can a stato here confirm please.

Strickland

May 17, 2019
Any goal is quite rarely a 100% someones fault, but Cancelo was definitely the main culprit. You can make excuses for him all you like, but that won't change much.

We call out Bonucci for such mistakes, we called out Evra for such a mistake, I think it's intellectually dishonest to let Cancelo's mistakes slide just because you rate him as a player.
never said I intend to let it slide, Cancelo is mainly at fault there, but until it becomes a trend, like Bonucci's complete inability to defend crosses and counters for 2 seasons in a row, I won't hold it against him, it's a couple of bad mistakes over the course of the season. Chiellini makes mistakes too, Woj makes mistakes too and Ronaldo has horribly fluffed a couple of chances, doesn't mean I don't trust those guys.

maybe the matches I missed last season have been the worst for Cancelo, dunno

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
I don't get the Vidal comparison. Cancelo looks like he would cry if you shouted at him.

In a nutshell he hasn't got close to Vidal's level of importance, before he went a bit off the rails.
The Vidal comparison is not in the player himself but in selling one of your most important players. I think it was that obvious

Jun 6, 2015
never said I intend to let it slide, Cancelo is mainly at fault there, but until it becomes a trend, like Bonucci's complete inability to defend crosses and counters for 2 seasons in a row, I won't hold it against him, it's a couple of bad mistakes over the course of the season.
I wouldn't care much either if they weren't two goals that we conceded in knockout games. Both were easily avoidable and in the end cost us. Of course we will never know how those ties would have ended without conceding those goals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 22)