João Cancelo (39 Viewers)

Buck Fuddy

Lara Chedraoui fanboy
May 22, 2009
I already mentioned MDS. Great ambition relying on him.
Personally, I don't trust Cancelo one bit, so losing him wouldn't bother me at all to be honest. Hell, he'd probably be the first guy I would sell if I was in charge.

But I would agree with you that things in general aren't exactly looking great at the moment.
Then again, it's still early & we're basically relying on rumours for the time being...

Osman

Koul Khara!
Aug 30, 2002
It's not mental gymnastics, I honestly don't care much for Coppa Italias and consider those the least important competitive games of the season. ok, second least important behind SuperCoppa.

I want to keep him for sure, but what you dont get is this is not new with him. It was the number one issue when we were signing him, his defending or lack of focus, he had this clear issue in Valencia (they played him RM in 4-4-2 after a while), and also Inter after half the season. And what do you know, he started showing the same pattern of defensive errors with us after half a season. Cant be ignored.

I say we should keep him, but it cant be ignored nor glossed over.

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Name one RB that is available or can be bought that is as good or better than Cancelo. I'll wait.
I get the feeling from your post that you don't believe there is a better right back than Cancelo in the world so there is no point.

In reality he was so unreliable that Allegri at times preferred to use De Sciglio for big games to avoid the customary goal that Cancelo would cost us. That is an incompetent right back. A fullback has to first not be a liability, and only then showcase his attack. If a right back needs a babysitter from midfield to cover him so much then he better be prime Marcelo/Alves, which Cancelo is not. So if we are going to wonder about whether we should play our 50m RB in a big game because he might cost us, then guess what? he is not worth 50m. A 50m fullback (does that even exist at the moment?) must be one of the best players in the team, otherwise it's a waste of money.

So if we need funds to improve our team then certainly the unreliable record signing in defense can go.

And no, Cancelo is NOT one of our most important players. It's absurd to even suggest it.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
He is too error prone for my taste. In his debut Serie A game against Chievo he conceded a penalty and you could have sensed back then its gonna be hit or miss with him, that his right side would get exposed. There was one game I recall when the ball went under his feet on prolly 3-4 occasions. Atalanta horror show, game against Ajax... on top of my head. He aint a bad player and he did well in final 3rd, mostly in first part of the season, but I can see why they would be looking to get rid of him for 50-60m. I also have a feeling he doesnt follow basic instructions well.

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
He is a world class winger or right sided midfielder, not a full-back imo. His defending is horrid but for long stretches of the season he was the only one able to create chances in the final third.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
His main forte is his pace and ability to play under pressure, but to fully exploit that he should come from behind, running into space and creating numerical advantage. As a winger he would have less space to operate and would have to play more with his back towards goal. A wingback in 3 man defense I feel would work for him well.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
His main forte is his pace and ability to play under pressure, but to fully exploit that he should come from behind, running into space and creating numerical advantage. As a winger he would have less space to operate and would have to play more with his back towards goal. A wingback in 3 man defense I feel would work for him well.
In this formation Cancelo could be WC but in a 4 men defense.. Id sell him without looking back

spurdo

Jun 4, 2016
Wing-back could be optimal, but I don't see us moving towards that formation altough I've bee touting for months that a 3-4-3 is the best formation for us. If Conte came back he'd have worked wonders with Cancelo and Sandro.

JuveJay

Senior Signor
Mar 6, 2007
we're linked with trippier :shifty: he would certainly be a downgrade over cancelo.
Trippier doesn't strike me as the sort of player who would move from England, even for a club like Juve, if he was offered something like Everton. I also think he would be a shit buy and I've no idea where the link comes from.

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
I already mentioned MDS. Great ambition relying on him.
MDS might not be an amazing RB but he wasnt really brought in here as our undisputed RB but more as another option in case we need a different approach or versatility.
I definitely expect us to play someone else as RB and use MDS as a sub or as a tactical choice in some games..
To be honest I rate Spinazzola and think he can do very well (He is not a master defender but I`d say he is decent) as for attacking he can definitely attack
A.Sandro - I really hope we dont sell him as to me he is definitely top 3 LB in the world.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Personally, I don't trust Cancelo one bit, so losing him wouldn't bother me at all to be honest. Hell, he'd probably be the first guy I would sell if I was in charge.

But I would agree with you that things in general aren't exactly looking great at the moment.
Then again, it's still early & we're basically relying on rumours for the time being...
still cancell can be coached into being more responsible with his positioning, defending.

his touch and explosiveness are not something that can be coached into de sciglio

Hydde

Minimiliano Tristelli
Mar 6, 2003
He is a winger, not a rwb or rb.

People were with torches up when some of us suggested cuadrado as RB because he supposedly cant defend as one.... Well guess what, cancelo is way worst than him at defending and he is our main RB.

Like vlad say, it seems he cant focus or follow defensive orders. It seems juve is not convinced by his defensive flaws

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 39)