João Cancelo (14 Viewers)

Orgut

Dec 31, 2002
So the money from this would probably be used on de Ligt? If so, no-brainer.
Yeah but Im not that enthusiastic about his replacement Trippier... I think I rather see Spinazzola (Who IMO is very underrated) starting..
Then again even if we do not take Trippier we still have to get a RB/LB type of player as A.Sandro Spinazzola and MDS are the only ones available for these positions unless you consider Romero as RB..

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't find any of that. But found this:

And this is his gf: https://www.instagram.com/danielalexmachado/

:snoop:
Why is he carrying L.Sane`s son?!

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
If we are selling Cancelo it's because Sarri use a defensive right back who stays deep opposite to a very attacking Left back.
And we all know by now that he can't defend.

The fact that cancelo value is too high to sit on the bench and he wont be used much in his natural position makes his sale a no brainer.

The only way he stays is if Sarri decide to use him as a pure winger , he just dosnt fit as a RB in his system.

Last edited:

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
If we are selling Cancelo it's because Sarri use a defensive right back who stays deep opposite to a very attacking Left back.
And we all know by now that he can't defend.

The fact that cancelo value is too high to sit on the bench and he wont be used much in his natural position makes his sale a no brainer.

The only way he stays is if Sarri decide to use him as a pure winger , he just dosnt fit as a RB in his system.
I don't think Sarri prefers to attack down a specific flank. Whichever fullback is attacking, the opposite goes into a back 3. I think both fullbacks should attack and defend.

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
I don't think Sarri prefers to attack down a specific flank. Whichever fullback is attacking, the opposite goes into a back 3. I think both fullbacks should attack and defend.
Not about the side of attacking imo, he usually use an inverted forward on the left flank who drifts to the center, as a result the LB has space to push high and wide on the left. On the right side the winger stays wide and slightly deeper so the RB also stays deeper.

So in the end it mostly depends on the side of the inverted foreword if we play 4-3-3 and I think CR will play that role. Any other formation and you are right

- - - Updated - - -

I think some of you are incorrect in assuming we will line up just like Napoli did under him.
I Just think he believes in his system and very committed to play his way and the type of coach to ask players to adept rather then adept to the players, also why he failed at Chelsea imo. I Can't see him coming here to re-invent himself.

It's surely a possibility he plays 4-3-1-2 as well like in Empoli but I find it less likely unless we bring in another technical mid for a starting role.

Last edited:

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Not about the side of attacking imo, he usually use an inverted forward on the left flank who drifts to the center, as a result the LB has space to push high and wide on the left. On the right side the winger stays wide and slightly deeper so the RB also stays deeper.

So in the end it mostly depends on the side of the inverted foreword if we play 4-3-3 and I think CR will play that role. Any other formation and you are right

- - - Updated - - -

Well he had Hazard at Chelsea and before that Insigne at Napoli so obviously the play will go through them on the left.

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
Well he had Hazard at Chelsea and before that Insigne at Napoli so obviously the play will go through them on the left.
Yeah and we have Ronaldo. Both players you mentioned played as the inverted forward which was the point I made, all three players play on the left and are right footed.

X Æ A-12

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
Yeah and we have Ronaldo. Both players you mentioned played as the inverted forward which was the point I made, all three players play on the left and are right footed.
I wonder if we will see that flanks switched as there isn't a starting spot worthy player for the opposite flank as a straight winger. If anything we may see Costa on the left and Dybala/ Berna on the right with Cancelo bombing down the right flank? Doesn't that more mirror his tactics

MikeM

Sep 21, 2008
Well your point was that Sarri uses a defensive right back and an attacking left back. But what happens if Costa gets the ball on the right? Then we are using an attacking right back lol.

He's not going to buy/sell players because he prefers a certain side of the pitch.

Tomice

Mar 25, 2009
Well your point was that Sarri uses a defensive right back and an attacking left back. But what happens if Costa gets the ball on the right? Then we are using an attacking right back lol.

He's not going to buy/sell players because he prefers a certain side of the pitch.
I wonder if we will see that flanks switched as there isn't a starting spot worthy player for the opposite flank as a straight winger. If anything we may see Costa on the left and Dybala/ Berna on the right with Cancelo bombing down the right flank? Doesn't that more mirror his tactics
I'm not gonna double down, you both make good points.

Putting both posts together leads me to think the Sarri will use CR as a 9, cause then you have plenty of option for both flanks in both roles, a fact I didn't consider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)