João Cancelo (14 Viewers)

Stephan

Nov 9, 2005
He has been one of the best players in the league. Really leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. Its either that or someones ball juice. Missed opportunity?

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
He has been one of the best players in the league. Really leaving a bitter taste in my mouth. Its either that or someones ball juice. Missed opportunity?
No. The missed opportunity was cash in hand. Clearly we knew Cancelo for Danilo was not an upgrade.

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
Danilo has been better for us than Canelo was. We also got 30m for it.

It's a win-win for every party involved. City, Juve, Danilo, and Cancelo won from this deal.
Danilo is more adept to italian league but Cancelo is a better and more offensive player.
Dani Alves and Cancelo did wonders they just aren't that defensively good so you need cover ups in a league where R/L bakcs are added defenders rather than offensive players.
It's as if we sold Hakimi or Theo Hernandez... and I'd like both here

Gigiventus

Mar 3, 2017
Danilo is more adept to italian league but Cancelo is a better and more offensive player.
Dani Alves and Cancelo did wonders they just aren't that defensively good so you need cover ups in a league where R/L bakcs are added defenders rather than offensive players.
It's as if we sold Hakimi or Theo Hernandez... and I'd like both here
Dani Alves was a whole different level to Cancelo. For him you make the necessary sacrifices, especially in his prime we are talking about a player that is on the lists of all-time great right backs.

Cancelo was not this for us, and is not this for City. The way Pep plays is too different for us as well.

Theo is a lot more complete as well. Really attacking but doesn't discard defensive details like Cancelo or Hakimi. Theo plays in a back 4 for Milan. Hakimi is the definition of a wingback, for Inter or for Dortmund.

So if we will play with a back 3 with wingbacks then players like Cancelo and Hakimi make sense. In a back 4 Danilo or Theo are better.

I think with Pirlo we would not see Danilo vs Cancelo if we had both, but Cancelo vs Cuadrado or Chiesa.

s4tch

Mar 23, 2015
he's someone who can make the difference, so in that sense, he might be considered a missed opportunity. but pep had to work on him for 1,5 seasons to achieve some kind of tactical discipline and defensive solidity. he was kind of an idiot with concentration issues and consequently a true defensive liability, just look at the ajax games for prime examples. we also were in desperate need of plusvalenza, so there's that too.

i do think that letting spina go and getting pellegrini in return was a genuine mistake. considering the circumstances, the cancelo-danilo swap and the plusvalenza that came with it is acceptable to me. danilo is having a great season on either sides of the defense, that helps too.

Hakimi is the definition of a wingback
exactly

Xorim

Aug 31, 2015
Cancelo is clearly the better wingback than danilo. Yes, more offensive, so rather comparable with Cuadrado.
Danilo was also a good deal for us in the end, since he's a great fit as CB as well, even better than as a wingback imo.

But i'd love to have kept him Cancelo, not gonna lie. His first half of the season was immense, the second part after the injury wasn't. Now he's back to great again.
We should have sold them Berna. I'm sure Cancelo is better in every position than Berna ever will be.

Badass J Elkann

It's time to go!!
Feb 12, 2006
Cancelo is clearly the better wingback than danilo. Yes, more offensive, so rather comparable with Cuadrado.
Danilo was also a good deal for us in the end, since he's a great fit as CB as well, even better than as a wingback imo.

But i'd love to have kept him Cancelo, not gonna lie. His first half of the season was immense, the second part after the injury wasn't. Now he's back to great again.
We should have sold them Berna. I'm sure Cancelo is better in every position than Berna ever will be.
cancelo's attitude in training reeked and he upset a number of the senators, we sold him for a healthy profit, got someone in return who has been outstanding this season, win win for everyone.

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
Everybody could see that Cancelo was top quality, so its not a surprise that he's doing well and he would have been perfect as a wingback under Pirlo. But I'm happy that Danilo is doing well too in that important hybrid role he currently has.

Robee

Jun 21, 2011
i don't understand.. why did we sell him? who did we bring who is better?

WTF is going on with our clowns who sold him...
Cuads is doing fine in his position, Danilo is arguably our best/most consistent performer and we needed the cash.

City had plenty of cash and upgraded. While Cancelo now shits cash in rainy London.

Win-win-win.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 13)