João Cancelo - RB - Valencia CF (19 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akshen

Aug 27, 2010
Went back and watched a lot more of him. Defending is a big question mark in a 4 man defence.

But attacking wise, he is really comfortable on the ball. Really comfortable being pressed up against the touch line. I can't say there are many more technical RBs around the world. Short passing is accurate, crossing is dangerous.

He's above 40M in attack, I think. His attack style is actually similar to Alex Sandro but I think in most facets he is just a touch quicker and smoother. A little better playing quick combinations. In form Alex Sandro could dribble around for a while, more than Cancelo, but Cancelo has a little more bite and directness I find.

Again, defensively who knows. Dives in like Cuadrado.
For me what is the biggest difference between him and Cuads is that Juan tends to act like a headless chicken sometimes. This guys style is not as explosive and going forward no matter what - he bases his attacking phase on his skills not only speed.
Dont get me wrong Im not critizing Cuads as his way of playing is something which really helps our team, but I dont think its good to have RB with this characteristics. If I would have to name RB who has similiar style of play to Cuads then its definitely Bruno Peres (with less quality of course) and not Cancelo.

TheLaz

Oct 6, 2011
Morata better in CL and don't think Ancelotti's Napoli will be a big threat, so Mandzukic/Morata in Serie A should be fine.
I for one believe Napoli is past it. I mean, if they sell Mertens/Callejon and Jorginho. They have a good starting 11, but the bench options is not really there. Sarri played a devastating brand of football and had great success. Ancelotti is not the manager that brings new ideas and solutions, but rather stability and experience.. We'll see, but this was Napolis year IMO. I expect them to challenge for the title, but not as seriously as this year. Roma will be on their level next season

LiquidPLP

Jun 9, 2012
I for one believe Napoli is past it. I mean, if they sell Mertens/Callejon and Jorginho. They have a good starting 11, but the bench options is not really there. Sarri played a devastating brand of football and had great success. Ancelotti is not the manager that brings new ideas and solutions, but rather stability and experience.. We'll see, but this was Napolis year IMO. I expect them to challenge for the title, but not as seriously as this year. Roma will be on their level next season
I think that inter will surpass napoli and roma this Summer, they'll be our rivals for the title next year.

Itay

Aug 10, 2009
I didnt read the last few pages, but 40 million for a guy who had a torn ligament just last august is not a good idea. If, as mentioned, it is a loan with an option to buy thats great but no way about obligation.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
I didnt read the last few pages, but 40 million for a guy who had a torn ligament just last august is not a good idea. If, as mentioned, it is a loan with an option to buy thats great but no way about obligation.
It’s all fine and dandy as long as we have money to reinforce midfield otherwise a self inflicted shot to the foot

K.O.

Nov 24, 2005
Why isn't he in the Portugal squad for the WC? That's not so promising. I'm not really convinced by the 40m price tag, unless it gets lowered by unwanted players.

Hust

Hustini
May 29, 2005
It is said that Juventus will pay the fee in installments, with the first one of 15 million euros to be paid immediately. The rest of the two installments will be paid across a span of the coming three years.

- - - Updated - - -

not sure if acc

Gagi

Jul 19, 2007

- - - Updated - - -

not sure if acc
NAILED IT

Beppe: I like Cancelo. I want him.
Valencia: He's valued at 40m. Do you have that money?
Beppe: No, but I'm sure we can work something out. Maybe a...
Valencia: Loan? No, Marotta. We need money ASAP.
Beppe: Not a loan. What about loan with an option to unloan an obligation to loan or buy?
Valencia: What does that even mean?
Beppe: I have no idea. I just made that up. Fabio, write that down.
Valencia: Do you have 40m or not?
Beppe: I can offer you 15m.
Valencia: That's outrageous.
Beppe: Ok, you want 40m, I can offer 15m, let's find a middle ground here.
Valencia: We're listening.
Beppe: 20m.
Valencia: And how is 20m a middle ground?
Beppe: Alright. 23m + bonuses. 23m and 17m if we get relegated from Serie A.
Valencia: We both know you won't get relegated, don't pull PSG on us here.
Beppe: 27m. No bonuses. That's fair.
Valencia: That can be done. Alright. We accept that.
Beppe: On 4 installments though.
Valencia: No. Just no. We want it all - now.
Beppe: Hear me out. You need 15m. I'll give you 15m. Next year 3m. Year after that 3m. And again 3m.
Valencia: That's 24m. We agreed on 27m.
Beppe: That's my cut for being so flexible and full od understanding.
Valencia: Ok. Whatever. Let's wrap this up and don't call us ever again.
Beppe: No need for that. We are friends. Gaya's contract runs out next year, huh?

pavluska

Apr 25, 2013
Went back and watched a lot more of him. Defending is a big question mark in a 4 man defence.

But attacking wise, he is really comfortable on the ball. Really comfortable being pressed up against the touch line. I can't say there are many more technical RBs around the world. Short passing is accurate, crossing is dangerous.

He's above 40M in attack, I think. His attack style is actually similar to Alex Sandro but I think in most facets he is just a touch quicker and smoother. A little better playing quick combinations. In form Alex Sandro could dribble around for a while, more than Cancelo, but Cancelo has a little more bite and directness I find.

Again, defensively who knows. Dives in like Cuadrado.
Dani Alves esque crossing and skillful on the ball (consistently unlike Cuadrado). But clearly worse than Cuadrado defensively, there's no comparison even though Cuadrado himself is just alright. And passing is good in terms of accuracy but not decision-making. Makes amazingly poor awkward passes and gives the ball away even when not under pressure. In one game, Icardi was telling him to calm down, and he did the same thing again next possession. Spalletti called him dumb (or a facsimile) after a game once.

Saw 4 Inter games, and that's enough. Same story in every game.

Will be helpful with his crosses when teams park the bus and we've to send crosses in. Will be useful also when Cuadrado is in going through the motions inconsistent mode and not going past his man. And a decent RB was needed as insurance but not for a 38-40m no questions asked obligation.

Unlikely his issues can be fixed give the depth of them but if anyone can, it's Allegri.

MikeM

Footballing Hipster celebrating 4th place with Tuz
Sep 21, 2008
He plays at a quick tempo though. He does play awkward passes but if he is playing with talented players, you can score goals like that. It's really aggressive. He plays balls into tight areas and tries to get in behind.

In terms of technique, he has it. Although yes, he goes hyper aggressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)