Italy VS Slovenia (1 Viewer)

delpi25

Jul 16, 2002
There are a few new faces in the Azzurri camp but the huge test will be to see how good the Azzurri play without veteran Paolo Maldini who has retired from international football. Give us ur thoughts going into the match, and thoughts after the match

Buy on AliExpress.com

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
Jan 12, 2002
I think its going to be DP-Pippo this time .. as Totti, Vieri, and Montella are all injured. I hope Brighi puts in a good display in his debut.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
Well, we played 2 times with Italy so far. In 1994 we managed to draw and in 1995 Italy won, by a goal from Ravanelli. It's time for us to win now! :D

Seriously, Italy should and probably will get this game. We have 11 new players in the team and a coach that didn't show a thing the last time he was in charge of the national team. The only bright thing is that we will play more offensivly, with a 3-4-1-2 system, Zahovič being the playmaker and the only one who is showing good form (scored a goal against Real on Saturday). Besides, our key defender is injured, so the back line will be filled with rookies.

Accordin to Trap's interview yesterday, Azzurri will play in 3-4-1-2 system, with DP and Pippo infront and Doni behind them.

nina

Feb 18, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Alex ] ++
Zahovic isn't banned from the squad yet? ;)
No, he was called back :rolleyes: Apparently we can't aford to be picky in our small country :sigh: He has to pay 15.000€ and that's it!

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by dpforever ] ++
I wonder who Trap will call as backup for the injured attacking trio (Vieri-Totti-Montella), perhaps Maccarone ??
When will you ever learn:D Trapatoni is not interested in forwards

Dj Juve

Jul 12, 2002
whatta math it'll be, nina vs th rest of the forum ;)
i hope italy lose badly 3-0 around there, and trap doesnt play DP..then trap is sacked, and in the next game, DP scores a hattrick :)

++ [ originally posted by AlexDP ] ++
Any idea who'll be captain?

~Sarah
Cannavaro, i think :)

denco

Superior Being
Jul 12, 2002
team seems to be

buffon, panucci, nesta, cannavaro,coco, tommassi, dibiagio, doni, inzaghi, dp

2 questions why isnt Ambrossini starting ahead of either Dibiagio or Tomassi and why are players like Oddo and Zauri not started ahead of Panucci and Coco as this is a friendly and this is the time to experiment as we all know how Panucci and Coco are

I wonder why Trap didn't play Dp as playmaker this time after all the nonsense prior to the wc

Btw is this lineup satisfactory, I personally would have liked players like Fiore, Pirlo and Manfredini to be given a chance and it may be asking a lot of Brighi to start his first international, in his first ever call up, to be deployed as a right winger where he is not accustomed to

OP
delpi25

delpi25

Jul 16, 2002
  • Thread Starter #17
    get panucci outta there, he playes the long ball, not the catenaccio that Italy is used to playing

dpforever

Prediction Game Champ 2003 & 2005
    Jan 12, 2002
    08/20/2002. Italy and Slovenia will face each other on Wednesday in Trieste a couple of months after their very disappointing 2002 World Cup. The Azzurri, who were considered as one of the favorites for the win, were kicked out in the 1/8 finals by Korea, while Slovenia didn't manage to collect a single point in their qualifying round. Katanec's men were defeated by each of their opponents, namely Spain, Paraguay and South Africa.

Following the respective collapses, the two coaches made two very different decisions. Slovenian legend Srecko Katanec resigned immediately after the elimination: his successor is Bojan Prasnikar, who is in charge for the third time. Praniskar first held the country's top footballing job between 1991 to 1993, shortly after Slovenia were granted independence from Yugoslavia, and was again entrusted with the reigns of the side for a brief spell in 1998.

In contrast to his colleague, and in spite of the common consensus, at least according to most of the Italian press, Giovanni Trapattoni decided to stay on Italy's bench. The Italian federation didn't fold in front of the public, who blamed the veteran trainer's lack of courage almost as much as the bad mistakes of the Ecuadorian referee Byron Moreno.

However, it seems that from now on Trapattoni is intentioned to give his team a more offensive attitude. One of the most promising Italian youngsters, Juventus midfielder Matteo Brighi, will make his debut with the Nazionale. Three superstars, namely Toldo, Vieri and Totti, will miss the game due to injuries.

PROBABLE LINEUPS:

ITALY (3-4-1-2): Buffon; Cannavaro, Nesta, Panucci; Brighi, Tommasi, Di Biagio, Coco; Doni; Inzaghi, Del Piero

SLOVENIA (4-3-1-2): Dabanovic; Gajser, Vugdalic, Karic, Cipot; Pavlin, Bulajic, Ceh; Zahovic; Cimirotic, Siljak

=======================================

I agree with denco, players like Pirlo and Fiore should be given a chance in this friendly ...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)