Italy-Norway FIFA WC (2 Viewers)

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Arttk ] ++
I thought totti is serving a ban from the spit incident.
How come Canna didn't get a callup to the team?
If he's serving a ban then why is he in the squad? About Cannavaro i don't know... I didn't think he was injured so looks like Lippi has dropped him (?)

Sep 14, 2003
Cannavaro hasn't played since Euro 2004, there's no way, azuurri captain or not, that he'll be called to the squad. As far as Totti goes, yes he has one more match to sit out, but we play Moldova next Wednesday so he'll be needed.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Cannavaro is struggling with fitness problems, while Totti is banned for the Norway game but can play against Moldova four days later.

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
++ [ originally posted by Holdon ] ++
Cannavaro hasn't played since Euro 2004, there's no way, azuurri captain or not, that he'll be called to the squad. As far as Totti goes, yes he has one more match to sit out, but we play Moldova next Wednesday so he'll be needed.
Well thats a bit worrying since we're about to buy him :undecide: any info on whats up with him exactly?

Sep 14, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

Well thats a bit worrying since we're about to buy him :undecide: any info on whats up with him exactly?
I have no idea, I don't think it's anything serious though. Maybe he just not match fit. :confused:

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Torkel ] ++

Dodging my question? :)
No, but if you look at Norway, its always long passes, extremely clumsy movement and play. They dont have any structure or any style at all. Its simply bad football, maybe not as destructive as before.

OP
Dr-Juve

Dr-Juve

Mar 11, 2004
  • Thread Starter #34
    ++ [ originally posted by Paolo_Montero ] ++

If he's serving a ban then why is he in the squad? About Cannavaro i don't know... I didn't think he was injured so looks like Lippi has dropped him (?)
    to join the camp. cause we r going to play against moldova on 8th of sep. only 4 days after Norway match

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    Martin,

So no more punting 30 yard, and hoping that forwards will win headers I guess?;):p.

Anyway I agree with Paolo.

Italia hasnt been playing very well in recent years, and the team is very unbalanced IMO. There is genuine lack of width, technical ability throughout the side, and clinical finishing. Also, Lippi era has just started so there are many uncertainties. I will put Norway slight favorites coming into this match. However, I will personally start with Del Piero in the next match even if Lippi should choose player based on condition on the day.

And oh Legro,
    What did he do to make the squad?

_Emerson

Aug 13, 2004
    ++ [ originally posted by Jun-hide ] ++
    Martin,

So no more punting 30 yard, and hoping that forwards will win headers I guess?;):p.

Anyway I agree with Paolo.

Italia hasnt been playing very well in recent years, and the team is very unbalanced IMO. There is genuine lack of width, technical ability throughout the side, and clinical finishing. Also, Lippi era has just started so there are many uncertainties. I will put Norway slight favorites coming into this match. However, I will personally start with Del Piero in the next match even if Lippi should choose player based on condition on the day.

And oh Legro,
    What did he do to make the squad?

I dont agree at all, Italy has alot of technical players, and the best strikers in the world. Not to mention the defense, BUT the thing who is wrong is simply the mentality :( nothing else.

Jun-hide

Dec 16, 2002
    ++ [ originally posted by _Emerson ] ++

I dont agree at all, Italy has alot of technical players, and the best strikers in the world. Not to mention the defense, BUT the thing who is wrong is simply the mentality :( nothing else.
    Italian mentality was all wrong during the Euro no doubt, I and totally agree that it was the main reason why they didnt play well.:groan:. However, I still believe this Italian isnt as good as the past ones I have seen. Defensively it isnt solid as Baresi-Maldini era, and still has chronic shortage of exciting technical midfielders that can control the tempo. The team also lacks width with Zambrotta and occasionally Cassano really willing to make runs down on the left hand side. This is none more evident IMO that only when Panucci had a stunner Italia produced their best performance. And only when Oddo came in they started to perform admirably against the Welsh.
    However, despite all Italia has a fine group of players and I am sure Lippi will get them right given time and opportunity.:). But I just feel the match against Norway is really too early for Lippi to make mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)