Italian Football in Decline? (1 Viewer)

eringi

Jul 15, 2002
Here is a pretty interesting analysis of Italian football from soccernet. We all know that those guys are usually biased to the premiership and before i read the article i was very skeptical but once i read it i found that this guy raised a lot of very good points about Juventus and Italian football in particular.. what do you guys think?

To a certain extent it goes a long way to explaining our failure to impress in Europe recently

La dolce vita in decline
Norman Hubbard

The Old Lady is ageing badly. The ancient regime is in a state of disrepair. And the perennial underachievers have not lost their self-destructive streak.
What has gone wrong with Italian football?

It was a question first asked four years ago when the Champions League had the novelty of a quarter-final draw without a single Italian participant.
Twelve months later, AC Milan overcame Internazionale in the semi-final and then Juventus in a final at Old Trafford. Not much, it appeared, was faulty. Hastily-penned obituaries were flawed four years ago, then, and may be again; Milan, after all, are in the last four of Europe's premier club competition.
Yet all is not right. Juventus were heavy-legged and uninspired when Arsenal, with conspicuous ease, ended an unconvincing Champions League campaign.
Milan, having assembled an older back four than even Escape to Victory, have lost their reputation for defensive parsimony. And Inter, ever finding new ways of failing to win the scudetto and Champions League, were deservedly knocked out by Spain's eighth best team.
And such a malaise should be lamented.
For those of us in the United Kingdom, the televising of Serie A - which began in 1992 - provided a much-needed cultural awakening in football; awash with style and sophistication, a galaxy of the world's leading talents. Before Real Madrid invented and discredited the term 'galactic', most were to be found in Italy. There was a welcome aversion to the long ball, showing marked differences with the poorer offerings in this country.
Since Diego Maradona's self-induced decline, the elegant, imperious and utterly clinical Marco van Basten would win this vote as the world's finest player. The Milan side he graced in 1992/93 were arguably the outstanding club team of the last two decades while, without the injured Dutchman, their demolition of Barcelona in 1994 is the most comprehensive performance in a European Cup final in that time.
It was a wonderful team coached by Fabio Capello, who retains his hold over Serie A in his new guise as Juventus coach. That conservatism, a natural consequence of ageing, helps explain Capello's mutation into an arch-pragmatist.
His teams never eschewed brawn - remember the imposing Marcel Desailly in the centre of the Milan midfield - but brain has become very much a secondary consideration.
Three, largely senseless, dismissals against Arsenal are one indication though it was a sad sight when the indefatigable Pavel Nedved, frustrated at being left in Emmanuel Eboue's slipstream again, hacked down the Ivorian. The wit of the absent Alessandro del Piero has rarely been needed more.
An emphasis on the physical, however, appears to have excluded pace and, consequently, vitality. Tactical inflexibility has become accompanied by tired legs; Capello, who pioneered the squad system, appears to have discarded it and exhausted his players. But Juventus dominate Serie A, demoralising would-be challengers with an ease Chelsea can only admire.
Their long-term prognosis may not be so healthy. Much of Capello's hefty transfer budget has been invested in veterans. Short-term success has been guaranteed, and when replacements are required - and Patrick Vieira's five-year contract looks ever more inadvisable - Capello will have traded in Juve and the Agnellis for another generous benefactor.
His team has an average age of 29. Milan's is still higher, a product of a defence who still regard Teddy Sheringham as an impressionable youngster.

Many brand Italian football negative though the 2003 Champions League final was a true defensive masterclass.
No such claims can be made of Milan's match against Lyon, or last year's semi-final with PSV Eindhoven. They have prevailed both times but a creaking back four have been exposed by pace and seemed strangely vulnerable at set pieces.
Goalkeeper Dida, as my colleague Roberto Gotta said last week, is also looking increasingly vulnerable. Jaap Stam's return to Holland in the summer, and the timeless Paolo Maldini's decision to call time on what will be a 22-year first-team career in 2007 means changes will finally be forced upon Carlo Ancelotti.
Against Lyon, salvation came in the form of Filippo Inzaghi, a footballing disciple of Machiavelli. Few have made such a speciality of scruffy finishing, but the ends justify the means.
His philosophy has been widely adopted; despite the best efforts of Maldini, del Piero, Andrea Pirlo and Francesco Totti, the declining influence of the aesthetic is evident, especially when defending set pieces. The penalty-box wrestling matches, permitted by officials, are a turn-off and, for defenders of the calibre of Fabio Cannavaro and Alessandro Nesta, surely unnecessary.
If we rely on stereotypes, inherent defensiveness is a cause of the decay.
Yet, while caution is a watchword for Juve, Milan are among the most progressive forces in European football. Silvio Berlusconi's preference for fielding two strikers as well as Kaka is well known. So, too, is his Inter counterpart Massimo Moratti's fondness for signing forwards, often to the detriment of his defence. Their 17-year wait for a scudetto or a Champions League title has been extended and an almost annual crisis appears to beckon.
Yet, as part of Italian football's ruling cartel, comparative failure remains rewarding. Because, over the past five years, the big three have become accustomed to a lack of challengers. Several years ago, Serie A seemed healthier on the pitch, if not off it.
But the financial meltdown that affected the indebted - such as Leeds United and Borussia Dortmund - hit Italy hardest. Lazio, Roma, Parma and Fiorentina have all diced with bankruptcy, unsuccessfully in the case of the Tuscan club, now reformed.
There is much to admire in the exploits of Chievo, Udinese and Sampdoria since then but Serie A has become, at best, a three-horse race.
A concentration of talent at the three richest clubs is one consequence of fire sales - Juve fielded four former Parma players and one apiece from Roma and Lazio against Arsenal last week - but so is a fall in standards, resulting from a lack of competition; overcoming domestic opposition is Juventus' strength, but English sides have found it surprisingly simple to stifle them.
Rejuvenation and renewal can come from an influx of talent but, with the notable exceptions of Adriano, Kaka and Zlatan Ibrahimovic, there is a marked reluctance to import the emerging.

That the Premiership and La Liga have excelled in flexing their economic muscle in the last decade hardly helps, but the respect in which Italian football - and perhaps society - holds for experience may be a hindrance.
While the gifted, albeit volatile, Antonio Cassano decamped to Real Madrid, Spanish football already boasts - in Lionel Messi - one challenger for the unofficial title of Ronaldinho's successor as the world's next best footballer. The Premiership, in Wayne Rooney and Cesc Fabregas, has two.
A focus on the short term has, in its own perverse way, impeded Italian teams now. An emphasis on Serie A has blinded Juventus, in particular, to the change of pace of European football, whether Arsenal's breathtaking speed or Barcelona's effortless ability to change gears.
A reluctance to consign the past to history has almost cost Milan, and could yet.
And while their continental rivals show an admirable willingness to field the future, constructing teams with ambition and foresight, Italian club football, with its proud pragmatism, is threatening to stagnate.

Buy on AliExpress.com

serfaraaz

Apr 14, 2005
this is biased article if juventus are in decline so are real madrid and manchester united. last year and this year england have only one side representing it from ucl so it means epl is better league than seria and if cassano has not played well in real madrid so have robinho and baptista who have started more matches

sateeh

Day Walker
Jul 28, 2003
very interesting read.

he said something about juve always thinking about the short run, and i saw that many times over the years not just now. We rarely or never have any players from our academy or youth come up to play first teamm they are always sold or just let loose.

I think its a huge problem that our youth or even our younger players are not even given a chance. Even young players in the first team dont get that much of playing time, and thats not only this year, it was the same in the past.

Jem83

maitre'd at Canal Bar
Nov 7, 2005
Engaging article, and not particularly biased.

Serie-A is not the strongest league at the moment and one of the reasons may be the lack of "top clubs". If you look at the Premier League, there are many more teams than the top 4 who've had their "glory days" in the past and those have huge fanbases.

Livorno, Ascoli, Siena, Empoli, Messina, Lecce, Treviso - I mean..
Who gives a shit, other than the people who passionately follow the Serie-A?

Anyway, this is just a viewpoint...

What I'm sure of is that if we'd been playing English Premier League football this season, we wouldn't have finished 1st.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
I think that teams are getting too much foreigners. This Juve's starting eleven:
Peruzzi, Toricelli, Ferrara, Vierchowood, Pessotto, Conte, Paolo Sosa, Deschamps, Del Piero, Ravanelli, Vialli. Subs that participated in the final were Di Livio, Jugovic and Padovano.
I don't see why we cannot create a great team that are mainly italian.
9 of the starting 11 of the 96 final were Italians.

natedizzle89

Jan 11, 2006
Exactly.....Exactly.....Juve only care about the short term never the long. On tribalfootball. com(great site) their was an article that palermo wanted to get aguero with juve since they didn't have the 20M to buy him so they wanted to co own him or whatever but juve didn't want to buy into such a long term agreement. LONG TERM!!! Look at the article for yourself...

Palermo have suffered a setback in their bid for Independiente attacker Sergio Aguero.

The 17 year-old Argentine is a prime target for Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini, who intends to send director general Rino Foschi to Buenos Aries to open talks with Independiente about a summer deal.

However, Palermo may struggle to meet the Argentine club's £20 million asking price and can't count on Juventus assisting in the deal.

Juve and Palermo discussed signing Aguero together, but the Serie A champs decided against such a long-term operation.

THis article pissed me off becus other clubs have Messi, Fabregas, KAka, and Rooney and we need a youngster to idolise... but whoo do we idolise Del piero, a true legend, that is ageing fast. Juve needs to do something about this QUICK!!

tassard

Jul 30, 2004
natedizzle89 said:
Exactly.....Exactly.....Juve only care about the short term never the long. On tribalfootball. com(great site) their was an article that palermo wanted to get aguero with juve since they didn't have the 20M to buy him so they wanted to co own him or whatever but juve didn't want to buy into such a long term agreement. LONG TERM!!! Look at the article for yourself...

Palermo have suffered a setback in their bid for Independiente attacker Sergio Aguero.

The 17 year-old Argentine is a prime target for Palermo president Maurizio Zamparini, who intends to send director general Rino Foschi to Buenos Aries to open talks with Independiente about a summer deal.

However, Palermo may struggle to meet the Argentine club's £20 million asking price and can't count on Juventus assisting in the deal.

Juve and Palermo discussed signing Aguero together, but the Serie A champs decided against such a long-term operation.

THis article pissed me off becus other clubs have Messi, Fabregas, KAka, and Rooney and we need a youngster to idolise... but whoo do we idolise Del piero, a true legend, that is ageing fast. Juve needs to do something about this QUICK!!
man the 9 of the 10 rumours you read in tribalfootball are false

Ramin

vBookie Champion
Nov 18, 2003
ZAF3000 said:
I think that teams are getting too much foreigners. This Juve's starting eleven:
Peruzzi, Toricelli, Ferrara, Vierchowood, Pessotto, Conte, Paolo Sosa, Deschamps, Del Piero, Ravanelli, Vialli. Subs that participated in the final were Di Livio, Jugovic and Padovano.
Thats not a problem at the moment at Juve as there are fair number of Italians in the team. This is the main problem for Inter, as they have 2 Italians only(Toldo and Materazzi), 2 Africans, and rest of the team is made up of South American players.

About the Aguero bit, eventhough its from Tribalfootball, its just sad...

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
I was speaking generally. Put Juve 1996 as an example of a sucessful team that was formed mainly out of Italians.
Still I think Juve should lessen the number of foreigners. Juve's (Capello's) starting lineup:
Buffon, Zebina, Thuram, Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Camoranesi, Emerson, Vieira, Nedved, Ibrahimovic and Trezeguet:

4 Italians, 4 french, 1 Czech, 1 Brazilian and 1 Swedish.

Funny thing is, I beleive we play better when:
Buffon, Zambrottoa, Thuram, Cannavaro, Chielini, Camoranesi, Giannichedda, Emerson, Nedved, Del Piero, Trezeguet:

7 Italians, 2 french, 1 Brazilian and 1 Czech.

OP

eringi

Jul 15, 2002
  • Thread Starter #12
    ZAF3000 said:
    Having Italians really has nothing to do with it. go and look at how many English played for Arsenal against us... NONE!

In any case what i found most interesting that he noted was the fact that the smaller teams in Serie A don't really represent a big challenge for the big teams anymore due to financial mismanagement and bankrupcies but also the TV revenue is a big issue those teams cannot match our income at all. I think this could work against us when we face far better opposition in Europe.
    In England teams share TV revenue but also if you look at the financial position of Man U, chelsea, Livepool, Arsenal, New Castle, Totenham etc... it is impecabble in Italy i am not sure how many teams can match that, in that sense we could start playing to our competition.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
    eringi said:
    Having Italians really has nothing to do with it. go and look at how many English played for Arsenal against us... NONE!

In any case what i found most interesting that he noted was the fact that the smaller teams in Serie A don't really represent a big challenge for the big teams anymore due to financial mismanagement and bankrupcies but also the TV revenue is a big issue those teams cannot match our income at all. I think this could work against us when we face far better opposition in Europe.
    In England teams share TV revenue but also if you look at the financial position of Man U, chelsea, Livepool, Arsenal, New Castle, Totenham etc... it is impecabble in Italy i am not sure how many teams can match that, in that sense we could start playing to our competition.
    You can make a very successful team made all from foreigners. But it won't be a successful club.
    In italy lately the race for the scudetto, in the past 3-4 years, has been only Juve V Milan. Inter are always celebrating if they reach 3rd place :D . Roma only had few sucessful years and lazio had only one (then one they won the scudetto) in the past 10 years. Teams like Genoa and Napoli are far away from even participating in the Serie A. This season we saw the return of Fiorentina but we completely lost Lazio and Parma. Udinese is somewhere lost in the middle.
    I think recently the most wonderful football in italy is played by Fiorentina.

natedizzle89

Jan 11, 2006
    Hey tassard you are probably right most of those reports on tribalfootball are rubbish but they have repeatedly shown reports of palermo interested with this guy including the ppl in the club admitting they are interested in aguero thats why i think this is reliable. Anyway i hope juve do enter the equation cus he would be a great investment.

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
    the fall of parma and lazio does have a lot to do with the decline of italian football.we used to have a big six in the form of juve,milan,inter,lazio,roma and parma.now we only have a big 3 because roma are too fucking unpredictable.

fiorentia have rised again,so thats a good sign.

tassard

Jul 30, 2004
    natedizzle89 said:
    Hey tassard you are probably right most of those reports on tribalfootball are rubbish but they have repeatedly shown reports of palermo interested with this guy including the ppl in the club admitting they are interested in aguero thats why i think this is reliable. Anyway i hope juve do enter the equation cus he would be a great investment.

Of course he would be.I have never seen him but I hear that he is a superb player.But IMO we will never move for him:frown2:

Jul 5, 2005
    eringi said:
    La dolce vita in decline
    Norman Hubbard

The Old Lady is ageing badly. The ancient regime is in a state of disrepair. And the perennial underachievers have not lost their self-destructive streak.
    What has gone wrong with Italian football?
    It hurts but it's true.

Mar 30, 2006
    i think it is stupid .. look at the only english team left in the CL .. with no english ppl in the starting 11. Also look at how 5 english teams started the competition, yet 3 Italian teams make the Quarter finals with Inter throwing away their semi final. I think it is foolish to say italian football is in decline. Especially with Milan still in it and a good chance for Juve, Inter and Roma/Fiorentina next year. Just cuz liverpool won lucky and on penalties against Milan last year it can be seen who is better in the CL this year. I think Milan are ranked best in Europe at the moment aren't they?

Also while Serie A may be a 3 horse race england is a one horse race. And chances are Cassanno will return to Serie A this summer as will several new talented players.

Juve89

The Farmer
    May 27, 2004
    CalcioJuventus said:
    i think it is stupid .. look at the only english team left in the CL .. with no english ppl in the starting 11. Also look at how 5 english teams started the competition, yet 3 Italian teams make the Quarter finals with Inter throwing away their semi final. I think it is foolish to say italian football is in decline. Especially with Milan still in it and a good chance for Juve, Inter and Roma/Fiorentina next year. Just cuz liverpool won lucky and on penalties against Milan last year it can be seen who is better in the CL this year. I think Milan are ranked best in Europe at the moment aren't they?

Also while Serie A may be a 3 horse race england is a one horse race. And chances are Cassanno will return to Serie A this summer as will several new talented players.
    :agree: Totally agreeing with you:thumbs:

Mr. Gol

Sep 15, 2004
    At the moment Serie A is going through a hard time because Roma and Lazio are nowhere near champions pace. In a few years they, and Fiorentina and maybe even Palermo, will be outsiders for the title. Serie A, EPL and La Liga will always be comparible in terms of quality. Serie A having the most top teams, EPL having the best 'other' teams and La Liga being somewhere in between.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)