[IT] Serie A 2005/06 (5 Viewers)

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Pagliuca appeals for respect
Friday 22 July, 2005

Bologna ‘keeper Gianluca Pagliuca has called for his side to be reinstated to Serie A.

The Rossoblu were relegated last season after a play-out with Parma.

However, Messina and Torino have been told that they have been excluded from the top flight due to financial problems - with Bologna on stand-by to replace Messina.

They still have the right to appeal though, but Pagliuca has urged the authorities to respect the rules.

“In other sports like basketball, the rules are respected and several clubs were punished for not following them,” said the former Azzurri man.

“Why shouldn’t the same thing happen in football?

“Last year the presidents agreed to pay the taxes by June 30 – whoever did not do so must be relegated.”

It remains to be seen whether or not the ruling will be upheld, but Pagliuca insists that it won’t affect his future.

“What will I do if Bologna will play in Serie B? Where do you want me to go – this is my city!”

Meanwhile, Greek side PAOK have completed the signing of Theo Zagorakis.

The Greece captain, named as the Player of the Tournament at Euro 2004, has agreed a two-year deal.

He leaves Bologna just one season into his contract after both parties agreed that a move was in their best interests.

channel4.com

Buy on AliExpress.com

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Totti believes in Lo Scudetto Saturday 23 July, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roma captain Francesco Totti admits that he dreams of winning Lo Scudetto in the new campaign.

The No 10 concedes that Juventus, Milan and Inter are stronger than the Giallorossi but he is refusing to throw in the towel.

"I do dream of winning the League," he told Studio Sport. "I believe that can happen and I hope it does.

"The three big clubs are two or three steps ahead of us but you never know what can happen in football.

"We want to end the season in the top four which will allow us to take part in the Champions’ League, an important competition."

Roma and Totti himself endured a disastrous campaign last term when they remarkably faced the threat of relegation.

"To have such a campaign again wouldn’t be very nice," he explained. "Sometimes you have years like that but you just need to accept them.

"I made some errors myself which I shouldn’t commit again. You learn by making mistakes though."

Totti also expects Antonio Cassano to have a great season with reports suggesting he will now stay.

"He is an important player, one who can make the difference," Totti added.

"Who is the best buy of the summer? Inter’s capture of David Pizarro from Udinese."

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
London mayor slams ‘silly’ Inter Saturday 23 July, 2005

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inter’s decision to cancel a pre-season tour of England because of safety fears has been criticised by London mayor Ken Livingstone.

"I think that it is a very silly thing to do because it is playing the terrorists' game. They want to change the way we live," Livingstone told Sky News.

"I am sure the terrorists will be celebrating their decision. The idea there might not be an attack back home (in Milan), that they are more safe there than here, is a complete illusion.

"The truth is, as we have seen from the horrifying news from Egypt, nowhere in the world is safe."

Four suicide bombers killed 52 and injured over 700 in attacks on the London transport system on July 7.

The same city was attacked again this week by four more men, but their bombs failed to work properly.

Then last night, over 80 people died in Egypt when car bombs were used in the holiday resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.

The Nerazzurri were set to play Portsmouth, Leicester, Norwich and Crystal Palace but pulled out earlier today.

"Football takes a step back because of increasing serious events which touch the sensitivity of everyone," said a statement on the Inter website.

"For this reason, and given the situation, we have decided to cancel. We do not want to add to the activities of the emergency forces there, who are already very busy at this time."

Inter have set up three alternative friendlies for next week, against Hector Cuper’s Mallorca, Red Star Belgrade of Walter Zenga and Treviso.

Cuper is a former Inter Coach, while Zenga played in goal for the outfit during their last Scudetto success in 1989.

source: channel4.com

Mar 6, 2005
++ [ originally posted by ZhiXin ] ++
London mayor slams ‘silly’ Inter Saturday 23 July, 2005

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Inter’s decision to cancel a pre-season tour of England because of safety fears has been criticised by London mayor Ken Livingstone.

"I think that it is a very silly thing to do because it is playing the terrorists' game. They want to change the way we live," Livingstone told Sky News.

"I am sure the terrorists will be celebrating their decision. The idea there might not be an attack back home (in Milan), that they are more safe there than here, is a complete illusion.

"The truth is, as we have seen from the horrifying news from Egypt, nowhere in the world is safe."

Four suicide bombers killed 52 and injured over 700 in attacks on the London transport system on July 7.

The same city was attacked again this week by four more men, but their bombs failed to work properly.

Then last night, over 80 people died in Egypt when car bombs were used in the holiday resort of Sharm el-Sheikh.

The Nerazzurri were set to play Portsmouth, Leicester, Norwich and Crystal Palace but pulled out earlier today.

"Football takes a step back because of increasing serious events which touch the sensitivity of everyone," said a statement on the Inter website.

"For this reason, and given the situation, we have decided to cancel. We do not want to add to the activities of the emergency forces there, who are already very busy at this time."

Inter have set up three alternative friendlies for next week, against Hector Cuper’s Mallorca, Red Star Belgrade of Walter Zenga and Treviso.

Cuper is a former Inter Coach, while Zenga played in goal for the outfit during their last Scudetto success in 1989.

source: channel4.com
tut tut tut.. silly Inter...

:D

Aug 1, 2003
Italy's Serie A faces a summer of discontent
By James Eve
ROME, July 22 (Reuters) - Italy's long-suffering soccer fans are used to their clubs losing huge amounts of money.
Fiorentina's slide into bankruptcy, the collapse of Parma's parent company Parmalat and the financial struggles of Lazio and AS Roma showed that no club was immune.
Even the most hardened fan, however, winced when the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) got tough last week.
On Friday, Messina and newly-promoted Torino were expelled from Serie A because of the state of their finances.
For years the federation had watched clubs totter towards ruin. A new zero tolerance policy had snared its first victims and, in all, 13 clubs were expelled from the top four divisions.
On Sunday, the FIGC landed its second blow - Serie B champions Genoa were charged with match-fixing, putting at risk their place in the top flight.
While the news of Messina and Torino's debts was greeted with a kind of weary acceptance, these new charges arrived like a bolt of lightning.
Last month Genoa fans had celebrated the end of a 10-year exile from Serie A after beating Venezia 3-2 in their final match of the season.
POLICE STOPPED
The party did not last long. A few days later Venezia's general manager Giuseppe Pagliara was stopped by police as he drove away from the business headquarters of Genoa president Enrico Preziosi near Milan.
Inside the car they found a suitcase containing 250,000 euros ($304,000) - a downpayment for the transfer of Venezia defender Ruben Maldonado, according to Pagliara.
Investigation of telephone calls between Preziosi, Preziosi's son Matteo and Venezia's director general Michele Dal Cin in the run-up to the last game of the season prompted the FIGC to launch its investigation.
Eight men - all of them officials or players at Genoa and Venezia - face charges of sporting fraud and Italian football looks set for a series of legal actions that could leave the make-up of next season's Serie A in doubt well into August.
Messina and Torino made their first appeal against FIGC's decision on Thursday in front of the Italian Olympic Committee. A verdict is not expected for some days.
Should this appeal fail, they will resort to the regional and state courts in the hope of being reinstated in Serie A.
The situation could grow even more complicated if other clubs enter the legal process.
Bologna were relegated to Serie B after losing a playoff against Parma at the end of last season.
Their president, Giuseppe Gazzoni, has already promised to launch legal action to have his club readmitted to the top flight in place of Messina.
As for the fans, their patience is wearing thin.
The streets of Messina have been thronged with demonstrators demanding the readmission of their side into Serie A and promising to march on FIGC headquarters in Rome if their wishes were not granted.
In Genoa, the mood is uglier as two banners unfurled at the weekend in the city's Luigi Ferraris stadium proved.
"Serie A or there will be violence," threatened one.
"Ready for anything, right down to the last arrest," read the other.

Qaterminator

Nov 15, 2003
Cassano loses vice-captaincy

Roma starlet Antonio Cassano has been sensationally stripped of the club’s vice-captaincy.

Cassano was only handed the honour last summer, but has been told he will no longer wear the armband should Francesco Totti be unavailable for selection.

Totti remains as captain, with Vincenzo Montella being promoted to vice-captain, ahead of Christian Panucci and then Cassano.

"When deciding who is captain, you have to factor in the number of appearances for the club, the value of the player and his behaviour," said new boss Luciano Spalletti.

"I really don’t think this discussion should be widened because I have used a normal criteria in making this decision.

"Cassano asked me for the reasons and I think he has accepted them. This is something normal."

However, this latest development casts further doubt over the future of Cassano in the capital.

The Juventus target has less than a year left on his contract and there are no signs to suggest that he will extend.

Cassano played no part in Roma’s first game of the season either, a friendly against a local team from Castelrotto.

The Serie A giants won 8-0, with Spalletti opting to use a 4-2-3-1 formation, but Cassano was not available because of a knee problem.

Qaterminator

Nov 15, 2003
Lazio close in on Behrami

Serie B starlet Valon Behrami of Verona is on the verge of joining Italian giants Lazio, according to reports.

Capital chief Claudio Lotito is understood to have held talks with Verona where a fee of around £2m has been agreed.

The midfielder should sign for the Biancocelesti, even if Genoa still have to give their consent seeing as they own a 50 per cent stake in the youngster.

Lazio could in fact buy out Genoa’s share by offering the port club the services of midfielder Ousmane Dabo.

Behrami is highly-rated in the Italian game and was also heavily linked with Palermo and Juventus earlier this year.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Qaterminator ] ++
Cassano loses vice-captaincy

Roma starlet Antonio Cassano has been sensationally stripped of the club’s vice-captaincy.
One must question why he was ever vice captain in the first place...

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Desmond ] ++

One must question why he was ever vice captain in the first place...
True. I suppose the Roma management hoped that a bit of responsibility would knock some sense into Cassano. If that was indeed the case we know that it didn't work too well :D

Aug 1, 2003
It is reported today in the local newspaper that Inter Milan are closing in on Figo and Samuel.

Now, I know Inter has always had a good squad but consistently fail, but if Figo and Samuel DO join them, it is a cause for worry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)