[IT] Serie A 2005/06 (10 Viewers)

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Gila seems to finally be getting comfortable at Milan. It was only going to be a matter of time. It will be interesting to see what happens once Sheva is back in the lineup, though.

ZhiXin

Oct 1, 2004
Always Next Year
11/4/2005 2:50:00 AM
Muath Al Wari expresses the emotions of a devoted Inter fan…
Inter, Inter, Inter. My words amazingly fail to describe how I feel or even what I feel. I don’t know if it’s disappointment or optimism, as an Inter fan I am destined to only be optimistic, never satisfied. My team is one of Europe’s most prestigious, but that’s where it stops, I honestly can never say it’s one of the best, because being one of the best, implies that the team actually wins something that matters, even once in 16 years. Yes, that’s how long it has been since Inter wore the Italian flag on its shirt.

This year, like every year, was supposed to be the one. We were contenders, we began the season with the hopes that we begin each
season with, yet Inter, as usual, kills off those hopes by October. I try and think of an excuse, but I can’t find one. Fine, I would be generous enough and understand that we couldn’t breach Capello’s defences. But Palermo? Roma? Give me a break. This was supposed to be our year. At least against those mid-table teams. But yet again, every year is unofficially our year.

It’s depressing. My words fail to describe the Inter-syndrome; maybe we need to change our name or our colours, because going through at least 13 different teams and 11 coaches we amazingly manage to humiliate ourselves with style every year! Against Roma we played our worst match of the season, and I don’t really care about Adriano’s goal, what did it achieve? That’s another thing, Adriano was supposed to lead us from one victory to another, yet he is a shadow of the so- called Emperor we saw last year. This is the year that matters, and as tradition has taught us, Inter or its players never deliver when they’re most needed to. They thrash Livorno 5-0 and lose to Roma?

I don’t blame the Milanista or the Juventini for not even worrying about Inter and the so-called challenge we present. Because every year, even without them beating us, we throw it away, and what’s most annoying is the fashion we do it with, we lose to Palermo and a broken Roma. It’s disgusting.

After each game and a pack or so of smoked cigarettes and after each humiliating defeat I sit there and try to figure out what is the problem with Inter. What is this mysterious force that makes us this hopeless, and the answer is Inter, it’s not a curse, it’s not a bad collection of players - God knows the players that have graced the Inter lockers make up a dream team - and it’s not the organisation, Moratti cannot be blamed for this dismal team, the man has done all he can, only the deity can fix Inter.

It is us being us, this is Inter and this is probably the way it is always going to be. Porto and Liverpool go on and win the Champions League and we struggle against Palermo. It will never change and it will never end. This is Inter, and for who ever is a true Inter fan, Inter is only consistent with one thing, underachieving, I know how hard it is for Inter fans to admit this, but heartbreak is our destiny.

All I can say is that, you will never walk alone. No matter how much this team disappoints us, no matter how many heartbreaking defeats we go through, no matter how many times the Milanista and the Juventini will have the last laugh at Inter’s expense, we the fans will always be there to comfort each other because Inter will give us comfort. God knows that it’s my passion for this team and nothing else that has kept me faithful for so long and without anything in return. It is the passion we have for the Black and Blue that always makes us hold our breath until the next season, it seems like it’s our destiny
and for one, I have come to accept it. Our perpetual slogan; there’s always next year, Inter, always next year!

Muath Al Wari

goal.com

:D

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Inter's season all over by Christmas - again

Morale is at rock bottom, star players aren't performing, and the club is already out of the race for the scudetto. Another typical season for Inter then, suggests James Richardson

Tuesday November 8, 2005

It's all over for Inter, all over again. On Saturday night, an injury-stricken Lazio held Roberto Mancini's side to a fast-paced but goalless draw, signalling the end of yet another brave stab at staying in contention until Christmas. Coupled with the results from Milan and Juventus, who romped through their matches against Udinese and Livorno 5-1 and 3-0 respectively, the result left Inter lying 10 points off the pace and they, of all people, are not coming back from that.

Article continues
Sounds bold? It really isn't. While Mancini may still bluster about being "back in contention by Christmas", we've all been here before - the big summer signings, the impressive pre-season games, the slow decline as soon as the real season kicks in. Ruling Inter out is actually as daring as tipping a David to be the next Tory leader - so let's get ahead for once, and start writing Inter off already for next season. After all, it clearly doesn't matter who they buy over next summer, nor who is managing them, they'll either blow up or slowly deflate way before Santa comes down the chimney in 2006.

Dennis Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Roberto Baggio, Roberto Carlos, Christian Vieri, Seba Veron, Luis Figo, Adriano; no man, not even Roman Abramovich has splashed out the money Inter owner Massimo Moratti has on his side, and what has this decade of stars achieved for them? One Uefa Cup. It's the same story for the managers; from Gigi Simoni - fired on the day he received Manager of the Year - to Marcello Lippi, a man who's won everywhere in his career, even at bankrupt Napoli, but couldn't shake the disease at Inter.

Mancini's continuing the tradition nicely. Here's a man who, brief move to Leicester aside, always seemed a smart cookie. But on Saturday he picked his knackered old chum Sinisa Mihajlovic ahead of snarling Walter Samuel at centre-back and, when it came to replacing Adriano in the second half, chose Alvaro Recoba when Julio Cruz was sitting right next to him on the bench.

To put this in its full ghastly perspective, Cruz is Inter's one in-form forward, scorer of eight goals so far despite starting less frequently than an Austin Morris/Leyland truck/Fiat 500. Above all, Cruz is the man who saved Inter's bacon just three days before in the Champions League, coming on and scoring two goals against Porto. Had Mancini forgotten that? WHAT IS GOING ON?

And that's not all (pause while writer takes pills and recommences). For while Cruz was saving the day last Wednesday, Recoba was storming out of the San Siro in a huff because the manager had used his last substitution. Instead of being told to stay at home, he gets to come on ahead of Cruz on Saturday, which surely can't help Inter's already fractured team discipline? To quote the Gazzetta Dello Sport, it's "inexplicable; an affront not just to football, but to ethics itself".

And it's not just the papers saying it either. Remember Veron two weeks back, after Adriano's unscheduled trip to Rio saw him turn up at the San Siro ten minutes from full-time? "While players do what they like we'll never win anything," predicted Seba - and they won't; not this year, and not the next either.

Still, on a cheerier note, round 11 saw plenty of smiles around the rest of Serie A. Milan's Carlo Ancelotti celebrated winning the latest Manager of the Year title with that 5-1 demolition of Udinese ("our best performance of the season," according to the tubby tactician), Juve stayed on top with a Zlatan Ibrahimovic-led rout of Livorno, and Fiorentina - who back in June escaped relegation by goal difference - increased their hold on third spot.

Inter lie fourth, five points behind Fiorentina but (and this will come as a relief) a whole point ahead of calcio colossus Chievo, a club backed by the limitless millions of a local cake maker.

Roma, meanwhile, continued to climb on a day of celebrations in the capital. Not only did the giallorossi notch up their third straight win, away to Messina, but Totti Junior - Christian Totti - finally saw the light of day. Declared Rome's mayor Walter Veltroni, visiting the child in the company of assorted Magi: "This is a great boost to our city." Congratulations to all concerned.

Congratulations, too, to Treviso and Cagliari, Serie A's bottom sides in every respect. The two teams met on Sunday for a 0-0 draw that saw BOTH teams fire their managers - surely another world first. While Treviso have since back-tracked, announcing a "pause for reflection", equally record-breaking is the fact that Cagliari are now ready for their fourth manager in 11 games. Who that lucky man will be isn't yet clear; favourite Carlo Mazzone is deemed too expensive and nobody else seems keen, strangely.

Cagliari will have a week off to think about it, because it's internationals weekend next. Italy - already qualified, and a whole round early - have two intriguing friendlies lined up, with Dutch masters Holland and Didier Drogba's Ivory Coast, both of which will be live on Bravo - but then you knew I was going to say that.

Serie A, meanwhile, returns in two weeks with a few cracking games, Fiorentina v Milan and Roma v Juventus, so see you then for all the shocking details.
http://football.guardian.co.uk/continentalfootball/story/0,15758,1637001,00.html

Eire

Mar 1, 2004
Mutu: Premiership is tougher
Juventus’ Adrian Mutu has claimed that the Premiership is a harder League to play in than Serie A. The former Chelsea striker endured a tough time during his 12-month stay in England, before failing a drug test and being axed by the Blues. "I was talking with Patrick Vieira the other day and we both agreed that it is more difficult to play in the Premiership," he said. "English football has more continuity, you always play at a high rhythm, without a break. And you have to keep on moving because every team plays to win. When Serie A teams face Juve, Milan and Internazionale, they close themselves in defence and you have to try and break the wall. In England you play football even though you know that you may lose."

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

That's right, you two know better than actual players who've played in both leagues. :rolleyes: youselves.
TBH, It's the first time I hear a player stating something like this. Most of the players they rate Serie A to be the toughest league.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Azzurri7 ] ++
TBH, It's the first time I hear a player stating something like this. Most of the players they rate Serie A to be the toughest league.
Most of them haven't played in England or Spain. I'll trust actual observation over "I'm playing here so it's great" any day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 10)