[IT] Serie A 2004/05 (84 Viewers)

Maher

Juventuz addict
Dec 16, 2002
Shevchenko could have died Monday 21 February, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan have revealed that Andriy Shevchenko was lucky not to be fighting for his life after picking up a head injury on Saturday.

The Ukrainian has been ruled out of action for a month following an accidental clash of heads with Cagliari’s Simone Loria.

But it could have been a lot worse for the striker, who today will have two titanium plates fitted as a result of a fractured cheekbone.

"Had he been hit just a centimetre higher, full in the temple, then his life could have been at risk," said professor Massimiliano Sala, a member of the club’s medical staff.

That incident in Milan’s 1-0 win on Saturday brought back memories of a similar clash back in November 1982.

Italian legend Giancarlo Antognoni almost died when he was kneed in the temple by Genoa goalkeeper Martina.

The classy Fiorentina playmaker lost consciousness, and even had head surgery, but fortunately survived with no consequences.

It was initially expected that Shevchenko would only miss two games but that is now looking increasingly unlikely.

He’s now set to be sidelined for both Champions’ League games against Manchester United, with a possible return only pencilled in for after the Easter period.

Stu

Jul 14, 2002
Player of the Week: Flachi (Sampdoria)
Monday 21 February, 2005

If Sampdoria qualify for the Champions’ League this season then they are going to have to thank Francesco Flachi. The striker again highlighted his importance to the outfit in Week 25 after he grabbed a hat-trick in the 3-2 win over Reggina, a victory which sees Doria join Udinese in fourth place.

Flachi is a late developer in the game after starting his career at home-town club Fiorentina. A massive Viola fan, it wasn’t until he joined Samp in 1999 that he finally delivered the performances that his potential always suggested.

The now 29-year-old only netted five times in his first Marassi term but would go on to score big in his next three Serie B campaigns, eventually leading the club to promotion in the summer of 2003.

Last season was his first ‘real’ top-flight experience given that his previous 27 games had come mainly as a substitute with the Viola, when he was still just a baby at the Artemio Franchi.

Flachi formed a stunning ‘little and large’ partnership with Fabio Bazzani, an understanding that almost saw the Blucerchiati qualify for Europe in their first season back amongst the big boys of Italian football. The pint-sized attacker eventually netted 11 in 28 games.

That wasn’t a bad total but he’s already matched that tally this term, perhaps surprisingly as Bazzani has now left the club following a difficult six months in Genoa. Yet Flachi has managed to survive without Bazzani’s flick-ons, suggesting that Italy boss Marcello Lippi was right to call-him up to the Italy squad last August.

Week 25 was also a good one for Francesco Totti. The Roman has had a mixed season so far but he was back to his inspirational best against Livorno. He set-up Vincenzo Montella’s 19th of the season, before making sure of the points with a splendid solo effort. He again netted with a delightful chip but was unfortunate to see that one ruled out for offside.

Another No 10 who made an impact at the weekend was Alessandro Del Piero. He finally showed Juve boss Fabio Capello, who has left him out recently, of what he can do with some sublime touches that rolled back the years at Messina. Unfortunately he was the only Bianconeri player who shined as the 0-0 draw cost the club lone leadership of the standings.

Palermo striker Luca Toni did his reputation no harm as the high-flying Sicilians defeated Lecce 3-2. Toni was a tower of strength in attack, a target man who is key to the Rosaneri’s hopes of a great future in Italian football.

Meanwhile, Siena finally got their first win under boss Gigi De Canio after six successive draws. The 1-0 victory over Fiorentina was collected thanks to a Tore Andre Flo goal but goalkeeper Alex Manninger, a former Viola No 1, was outstanding for the home side. They wouldn’t have won without him.

Words: Antonio Labbate

channel4.com

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Nicole ] ++

I know :down:

Damn you Sheva!! If we beat Milan now, then everyone will go 'well you wouldnt of if Sheva was there!'
You won't beat Milan WITH or WITHOUT Sheva...so I wouldn't worry.

Roma has proven to be lost when faced with an organized mid-field. Last season Roma were a much better team and lost to Milan on both occasions. The only worry is Montella..

somewhat

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004
++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++

You won't beat Milan WITH or WITHOUT Sheva...so I wouldn't worry.

Roma has proven to be lost when faced with an organized mid-field. Last season Roma were a much better team and lost to Milan on both occasions. The only worry is Montella..

somewhat
She is talking about Manure this time, but still she is not right

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Stuart ] ++
I don't think she means Roma, she means Man Utd.
ohhhhhhhhhh that

well...firstly these are the type of games Milan (of recent 1-2 years) have been good at. BIG TEAMS..BIG GAMES: Roma last season...Juve last season..Inter last season...real the season before...
the weak point was the small teams or the games they took for granted: this season they could have caught up to JUVE many times but didn't step up against the small teams...last season the Deportivo STINKER...etc.
They have also been good at facing teams with a less than full squad.

I am hoping for a win but realistically going for a tie in the first match hopefully pop one in on their turf.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
Milan completely excelled last year when the competition has been worthy of them. I'm sure the lack of that was a major contribitor to their CL outing last season against Depor.

But in terms of form, Milan may have won 4 straight, but ManU is in better shape. Furthermore, IMO, the luster is off Milan this season in big games, with only draws to Inter, Roma, and Juve to show for it compared to last season.

I'd have to give ManU the odds-on favorite at the moment ... particularly with Sheva out. Milan would be lucky to draw Wednesday, as I am expecting a loss.

++ [ originally posted by IncuboRossonero ] ++

ohhhhhhhhhh that

well...firstly these are the type of games Milan (of recent 1-2 years) have been good at. BIG TEAMS..BIG GAMES: Roma last season...Juve last season..Inter last season...real the season before...
the weak point was the small teams or the games they took for granted: this season they could have caught up to JUVE many times but didn't step up against the small teams...last season the Deportivo STINKER...etc.
They have also been good at facing teams with a less than full squad.

I am hoping for a win but realistically going for a tie in the first match hopefully pop one in on their turf.

IncuboRossonero

Inferiority complex
Nov 16, 2003
++ [ originally posted by swag ] ++
Milan completely excelled last year when the competition has been worthy of them. I'm sure the lack of that was a major contribitor to their CL outing last season against Depor.

But in terms of form, Milan may have won 4 straight, but ManU is in better shape. Furthermore, IMO, the luster is off Milan this season in big games, with only draws to Inter, Roma, and Juve to show for it compared to last season.

I'd have to give ManU the odds-on favorite at the moment ... particularly with Sheva out. Milan would be lucky to draw Wednesday, as I am expecting a loss.
Well...given the fact that Juve-Milan was played on Juve's turf and with Juve the supposedly top team..Milan dominated from beginning to end. The Roma and Inter matches I would not call big PER SAY because it was not as indicative as last season when Roma was right there atop the standings with Milan. This season it has been winning against the middle of the pack and playing catch-up which has become the "big games". However, the last minute efforts which have resulted in three points is something many Serie A teams..top ones..are lacking.
I don't see them giving in to Man U...I honestly don't think Man U can handle the balance of a strong defense and midfield and posession. Kaka has had a less than stellar second season (only compared to last) because the Serie A coaches have double teamed him..his CL streak is much better. there is a reason.
Man U's defense..or lack of it will not be enough to keep them at bay.
It will be interesting...however it would not shock me if Man U came up flat.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
Mar 16, 2004
The key to this match will be shutting down Cristiano Ronaldo and Ryan Giggs. They have been in good form lately, and they cause opposing defenses problems. Ancelotti will have to make sure that those two players are shut down, and if Milan can dominate posession with Pirlo conducting the pace I do not think Manure will be able to handle them. The problem for Milan is going to be the finishing, but I expect Kaka to burst through the center of the Manure defense because Keane is not the best at shutting down trequaristas.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 84)