Is the Italian league still the best (1 Viewer)

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
One thing i cant fail but notice, is the significantly higher level of italian players in those days. When they got even less chances as they are getting now.

Where are the young Buffon, Zoff, Scirea, Baresi, Maldini,Costacurta, Tasotti Nesta, Cannavaro, Facchetti, Zambrotta,Albertini, Totti, Pirlo, Riva, Rivera, Baggio, Del Piero, Rossi, Vialli, Zola, Ravanelli, Vieri ??

Lets not forget the all italian milanese defence in the early 90ties, mostly italian juventus mid 90ties, the serie a blend that won it in 2006, etc.

When Serie a was great,it has allways had his fantastic generations. Most italian teams that were domminating europe, had an italian core (bar 2010 inter). Where did the talent go

Cronios

Juventolog
Jun 7, 2004
This is what we are suffering of today.
Back then it was an honour and also paid off to have as many as NT players you could in your team, as the NT used to be better than most of the clubs, even the elite ones.
And what we couldnt buy, we were filling up with stranieri.
We preserved the same mentality but the situation have changed and we are failing to adapt into the new situation. We are just waiting for the situation to return to its old self.
But the reason the NT players were so good was because they had to fight hard to reach that level because of the competition.
Even the smaller serie A players had the buying power to buy get decent players and the competition forced the Italian players to grow better, learn from better players and improve expotentially.
Of course the Italians were overrated back then too, but there was a reason for it.
And serie A had some special pre-rwquirements from the players, mostly of a tactical awareness, due to the fact that the Italian tactician used to be the best in the world and the player ought to comply and that could be someitmes more important than a show of pure talent.
We were the epitome of this tactical level and disciplince.
Now all is lost, serie A has lost its buying power and with descent its soul and character, its pride and force that used to push her forward...
Such was the price the Italian football had to pay in order to put us down, end our dominance so that Morrati could win a couple of titles...

We never really recovered and with us, serie A too...
We were not only the standard bearers, we were setting the standards, now our standards are so low that a player like Bonucci, who has never learned how to tackle is our starter CB...
Financial crisis dint help, the level of Italian football is in steady decline and will keep falling until someone decides to wake up.

Napoli seems to be the only team capable of rising in this mess and competition with them might force us and the rest of championship focus on performance and improve!

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
:lol:

That fantastic Napoli that finished 9 points behind us two years ago, 24 points behind us last year, and is already 12 points behind us this year. Yes... They're really pushing us.

I was pissed off about losing to Napoli in the SuperCoppa only because whenever the game was tied, we absolutely dominated them, we toyed with them, and made it look easy. It was only after taking leads, and sitting back to see out the game, that Napoli looked like a good team. They aren't. Hence the reason I was so irritated by it.

Napoli pushing us to improve... :rofl:

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
:lol:

That fantastic Napoli that finished 9 points behind us two years ago, 24 points behind us last year, and is already 12 points behind us this year. Yes... They're really pushing us.

I was pissed off about losing to Napoli in the SuperCoppa only because whenever the game was tied, we absolutely dominated them, we toyed with them, and made it look easy. It was only after taking leads, and sitting back to see out the game, that Napoli looked like a good team. They aren't. Hence the reason I was so irritated by it.

Napoli pushing us to improve... :rofl:
Dude my exact thoughts.
It's like we were playing only when we needed. The rest of the time we let Napoli playing....
Maybe they were tired? and unlike Napoli we coudn't afford to relax due to competing with Rome for the title? dunno but still frustrating! and those penalties.... omg Buffon save you 3 times!!! 3!!! and 2 consecutives and you always fail to get it in the net?
When i saw Chiellini going for the penalty i thought "there we have it a pretty sure fail! He has a square foot" (thats what we say in Italy when someone is technically unfit)
I can understand Chiellini but not Tevez......
Let alone Pereyra which failed every shot he tried in his juve career and Padoin not being particualary gifted.... but Tevez.
Anyway Buffon saved 3 penalties! While we shoot 1 out by a mile Pereyra , 1 on the pole Tevez , Chiellini simply made a pass no other words can be used.
I was so pissed i throw a punch to my computer desk a part of it blasted away >_>

- - - Updated - - -

Btw funny fact about this topic made in 2002 summer or so.
The year after 3 italians team in the best 4 with a final with 2 italians.
How should we consider that?!?! hahahha XD
And in 2003 we had as wc players almost the whole team! Buffon,Thuram,Zambrotta,Montero,Davids,Nedved,Camoranesi,Del Piero,Trezeguet.
And before calciopoli to those players we stole Viera from from Arsenal and Cannavaro from Parma. Both world class players!
If we kept Zidane i doubt there would be an even better team out there....
Till calciopoli Juventus had like 8 players in the world cup final....

Too bad we got smashed and along with us the whole Serie A.
Just check economical threads. We lost 100m income in few months but even Inter and Milan who stayed in Serie A lost a lot of money as well.
And still with the left-over of a so great league Milan got 2 times in the final 2005 and 2007 and Inter won 2010.
So yeah maybe nowdays serie A is shit but since 3-4 years. Milan and Inter died out and only clubs like Napoli and Roma are trying something. But that's mainly cause of the lack of competition. Juventus aside the first year with the last decent milan had it easy in the past 2years. Now without Conte and some players getting old and injured (our best defender since 3 years Barzagli hasn't play a single game so far) we're still a great time but less merciless compared to the last year.
-last second loss against Genoa (my god)
-Draw with Sampdoria... another game dominated and not win in a stupid way (we also loss our 24 or 25 consecutive wins at home games)
-Bad draw with Fiorentina (a last second penalty not given to us still shouting for revenge)
-Sassuolo draw another bad game.

Our problem this year is that we lost many points against smaller clubs such as Sassuolo,Genoa and Samp. But specially Genoa and Samp we could have won both of the games easly but one time the goddess of fortune betrayed us and another simply wasted the many chances we had and conceded a stupid goal.

Imagine with a bit more luck we could have now between 4 to 6 points more now leaving Roma potentionally to -7 or even -9.
Now i'm worried abbout Inter and Napoli. Specially Napoli cause there in Naples we always perform shitty. Dun remember the last victory we acchieved there. Maybe it's because of the war-like attitude they put up everytime or whatever but...

So yeah this year we're still the strongest of the league but i am a bit worried. Cause let's say we (Roma and us) repeat the same games as the first half we'll be deciding the title having as last 3 games Inter,Napoli and Verona......

Valerio.

Jul 5, 2014
oh GOD yeah i literally forgot that piece of gold! We gave them our third keeper Carini for Cannavaro with no money deal involved lol!! we valued (nominally) Carini as much as 10.000.000.000 lire (around 5m €).
Ahahah our we got our hands on Emerson as well from Roma (he then later joined Real Madrid so i guess we should consider him a wc player at least back then)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)