Is it okay to make fun of religion? (14 Viewers)

Is it OK to make fun of Religion?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Except that the forum has very little in common with persecution by bullies. A) The forum is voluntary, you can leave and be out of reach for bullies. B) Every thread is voluntary. C) You suffer no consequences whatsoever by ignoring someone's posts.

I agree your scenario has merit, it just doesn't have anything to do with the situation at hand.
Again, you're taking that 'certain' angle.

I could use the same stipulations you gave in real life.

A) Going to a certain school most of the time is voluntary and in the case it's not, homeschooling is always an option.

B) Walking in the same hallways as a bully is entirely voluntary, if you really want to avoid him/her you can chose another path even if its a detour.

Case in point- we should always look to appease the bully.

Do I have to start a thread about smoking to prove it to you?
No, start one about how righteous Atheists are as compared to Theists.

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jun 13, 2007
What about abrahams, mozes teachings. Where god acts like a slaughtering maniac?
Don't take things out of context. It makes you look dull and uninformed. I suggest you do a little more homework about the Old Testament and the exact context in which it is supposed to be taken.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Wait, God doesn't exist, but Religion has hurt people as the unexisting God has killed people? :luckyluke: Illogical, isn't it?
You got to be kidding. Right?

I dont believe in god. So Im not saying those things actually happened. But if you choose to believe in it, you are believing in a killing maniac with no regards to other life excluding his tribe.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Funny how you always choose a certain angle.

When you're not sure about something you say something like "I believe", "I think", or "is it true...", etc.

I know you've made definitive comments regarding Islam and Prophet Muhammad. You're not fooling anyone.
I have made definitive statements about Islam. Not about THE PROPHET. I don't know who he was. But I have said that the possibilities are there and that there's no denying them.

Yes, it's really "funny" how I think free expression is okay while violence is not. I mean what idiot would think that?

It's also really "funny" how many people on the internet get all mad about something that someone has said, they denounce this person for being bad, and then start threatening with violence. Yeah, that's really moral superiority right there.
True.

hehe you are so stupid that you doesen't even have a little bit respect in you..

And believe me I know you are a coward.. you can say this rastic things about muslims here on internet.. I Would like to see you say it to somebodys face.

Second thing.. I feel sorry for you that you dosen't understand this simpel things.

You are not lo stilo Juve man.. I can't name one Juventus player who would accept or like your rastic thoughts..

Maby Lazio should be your team.. You Di Canio would come along just fine :)
You're going to mess up two languages now? Lo stile.

You can make fun of everything you like, even if this is a black guy you're making fun of. What's the problem with this? One could make fun of a redhead and no one would reprimand him even though the redheads are being born redheads and it's not their choices. I believe you can make fun of everything, either it's something you think is ugly, stupid or ridiculous. You can make fun of Muslims, Jews, Blacks, Asians, girls, redheads, olds, Inter or Galliani.

Thing is that all who were mentioned above MUST have equal social rights no matter what their religion, race and color are.
Exactly

So you think physical violence is worse than verbal abuse? You can't be serious.

That wasn't even my point though. This is my point, and I'll give you an example. Someone says:

So I was having breaktfast and someone knocked on my door. It was a friend I hadn't seen in 30 years! Oh my God I was totally surprised to see him; I really wasn't expecting him. So we stood outside, had some smokes, and caught up on the past 30 years

and you would come back with:

You smoke?

:shifty:
Of course physical violence is worse. Are you insane? What gets you the highest penalty?

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003

A) Going to a certain school most of the time is voluntary and in the case it's not, homeschooling is always an option.

B) Walking in the same hallways as a bully is entirely voluntary, if you really want to avoid him/her you can chose another path even if its a detour.

How righteous we are? You are the ones who say you have all the wisdom.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
Don't take things out of context. It makes you look dull and uninformed. I suggest you do a little more homework about the Old Testament and the exact context in which it is supposed to be taken.
Ok in what context is supposed to be portrayed stories like, wiping all of the village just because some of the villagers didnt except guy under gods protection? While they didnt even knew the guy was under god protection. He just wiped whole village without shadow of doubt.

You think what you want to think, but god in old testament was a cruel being.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
"From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some youths came out of the town and jeered at him. "Go on you baldhead" They said. "Go on up you baldhead." He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord.

Then two bears came charging out of the woods and killed forty-two of the youths."

II Kings 2:23-24

Nice guy, that Elisha. Or should I say, Saint Elesius. :lol2:
Just remembered that one :lol:

Jun 13, 2007
Ok in what context is supposed to be portrayed stories like, wiping all of the village just because some of the villagers didnt except guy under gods protection? While they didnt even knew the guy was under god protection. He just wiped whole village without shadow of doubt.

You think what you want to think, but god in old testament was a cruel being.
Yes, he was.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #210

No, you can't because where you live determines where you go to school (was in my case for instance). So that means your whole family has to move.

As for home schooling I'm not sure what the law is in Norway but I believe I've never heard of such a thing. So no I don't think that's an option.

Not if they always hunt you down at school, you can't.

You are such an ass sometimes. I really prefer when you're being a jackass to this kind of self mutilation of the intellect.

Why should I? I don't represent anyone but myself.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    They are bait in a very real sense, which is that I want to bait people like Ahmed to come out and talk to us about why they believe what they believe. It's obvious what I think, that's a no brainer. But I still want to hear from people who think different.
    I can take a stab at explaining it for you right here, Martin. You seem to believe that your scientific-method-based, physical-evidence-based system of metaphysical beliefs is above and beyond reproach. All other systems of belief are inferior to the one you've adopted, because they're based upon lies and fail these tests.

This makes your belief system the one, true way. And as seemingly the negative or absence of spiritual beliefs, this makes it different from all the others -- making it exceptional, at least in the classic definition of the word, and therefore above and beyond the frailties of all those other pesky, fabricated religious beliefs.

Well, guess what? Scientific-method-based, physical-evidence-based systems are flawed, and they, too, require a leap of faith to become a believer. I'm told the earth is round (something the scientific world didn't believe for a while either), but I've never witnessed it from space. But I have faith in the people and evidence-based systems in place, so I believe it is round. Just as many of us put faith in our monetary system of currencies. And sometimes, as the world financial events of the past year can show, that faith can be misplaced. Newton's laws are still correct, but Relativity showed it's only under specific conditions.

So what do we have... a sense of a superior belief system, references to a code supporting that belief system, etc. Oddly enough, that could describe a radical mullah for all I know on the surface. Hasn't human history fallen for this trap before? And the insistence that other belief systems are false and that those who believe them are doing harm to themselves? I don't know if you've ever had a Jehovah's Witness come to your door, but they're not knocking on your door to deliver a pizza.

If you really want to put this specific thread to bed, I think you need to first ask this question of yourself: When is it OK for one religion to make fun of another religion? (I don't think I'm playing a new hand here in saying that I see atheism and agnosticism as just another flavor of religion.) For example, when is it OK for Nazi Christians to make fun of Jews?

I cross the line myself a lot more than most people are comfortable. But I will admit there's a line -- albeit with room on either side. That includes a line for making fun of atheists, btw. But comparing religious beliefs to drunk driving clearly isn't the right analogy to make, IMO.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Its think it doesnt have to do with arabs, just everyone Jews came across. At one point or the other they enslaved or killed someone with which they had contact.
    According to the OT, the Jews were God's chosen tribe and in the area they lived the people were mostly arab. Sure their tribes had specific names, but the people were mostly arab, not all arabs are islamic if that what you're thinking. I wasn't implying to God as being a racist as our confused friend above thinks. Just merely breaking down the NT (a jewish text) to it's basic essence.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 14)