Is it okay to make fun of religion? (2 Viewers)

Is it OK to make fun of Religion?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
a belief is not based on evidence but faith. believing that something that is not based on evidence will occur is a type of unreasonable behaviour which is one of the definitions of stupid.

quite frankly, your and anyone else's beliefs are so unimportant that making fun of them should have no consequences
My religion for me is evidence of a higher being and is not just faith, and it is probably for many other people too...and therefore they became important to me

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #124
    a belief is not based on evidence but faith. believing that something that is not based on evidence will occur is a type of unreasonable behaviour which is one of the definitions of stupid.

quite frankly, your and anyone else's beliefs are so unimportant that making fun of them should have no consequences
    not helping, bes :groan:

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    So why should people with religious beliefs get special treatment? Can you give me a rational justification why religious beliefs are more important than other beliefs?
    they shouldn't get special treatment...you and anybody else is well within your rights to believe in whatever you want, but when that manifests into defaming another religion, that's when it turns ugly

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #129
    they shouldn't get special treatment...you and anybody else is well within your rights to believe in whatever you want, but when that manifests into defaming another religion, that's when it turns ugly
    So on the basis that you have certain beliefs that you say cannot be ridiculed I can say I too have certain beliefs and they cannot be ridiculed. Let's see... I believe that on Tuesdays the sun comes up an hour later than other days. Bes also has beliefs. He believes that there is no danger in drinking and driving. It's totally safe to drive after you've been drinking.

Now since we respect other people's beliefs, if you're at a party and a friend of yours is getting a ride with Bes, who has been drinking, I hope you're not gonna say anything cause that would be disrespectful.

Right?

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Should I make a thread about how it's annoying that you're meta posting in these threads? And then should someone make a thread about how it's annoying that I make threads where I complain about you complaining in my threads?

Frankly these questions are a lot deeper than you give them credit for. I thought the torture thread gathered quite a few interesting responses from people and no it wasn't rehashing the same thing as already happened elsewhere.
    What? So I can become the first mod who bans Martin? :D

No, that would be bad.

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    So on the basis that you have certain beliefs that you say cannot be ridiculed I can say I too have certain beliefs and they cannot be ridiculed. Let's see... I believe that on Tuesdays the sun comes up an hour later than other days. Bes also has beliefs. He believes that there is no danger in drinking and driving. It's totally safe to drive after you've been drinking.

Now since we respect other people's beliefs, if you're at a party and a friend of yours is getting a ride with Bes, who has been drinking, I hope you're not gonna say anything cause that would be disrespectful.

Right?
    well if the sun rising later on Tuesday/Bes's drinking and driving are of religious importance to you two, then yea I wouldn't say anything

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #132
    well if the sun rising later on Tuesday/Bes's drinking and driving are of religious importance to you two, then yea I wouldn't say anything
    So you wouldn't mind risking death to your friend just for the sake of respecting someone's religion?

I ask again, why should religious beliefs get special treatment? You haven't answered that. You say "it's not the same thing", but I disagree. So please explain.

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    Well 'cos these kind of beliefs and values also teach a way of life, and if you make fun of that, then people will obviously be hurt/offended

Jun 13, 2007
    And why is that a problem? Don't we say stuff like "Inter merda"? That's just as disrespectful. Don't we have a witch hunt (badass and that zlatan fan) for certain members in this forum? Where's the respect there?
    Some people consider their religion as their only true possession in life. It's what keeps them going in what they see as a materialistic, cruel, and unjust world. If you don't feel the same way about religion, you have every right not to. But I think it's rather senseless and unethical to insult something that is considered invaluable to so many people.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #136
    Well 'cos these kind of beliefs and values also teach a way of life, and if you make fun of that, then people will obviously be hurt/offended
    But people get offended by any number of things. So it's obvious that your motive is not to prevent people getting offended, because then you would say "please don't make fun of people ever". But that's not what you're saying. You're saying "I like making fun of people, but please don't make fun of certain things I hold dear".

bes, please. I'm trying to have a conversation here and so often people jump on someone who thinks different and drive him away, preventing that conversation.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Face it Seven, you're a hypocrite and you've been exposed yet again. You need to find an alternate source of pleasuring yourself.

Get out of Dodge.
    How? How am I a hypocrite? You keep making stuff up. This is no fair way to debate. You can't do that. You wanted to use the law as an example. That's fine. But you have to know what's in it. You have to know what it says. I don't have to know Muhammad, because I'm not criticising Muhammad, I'm criticising you. You can tell that you're not a lawyer :lol:.

My deepest religious belief is that one can make fun of Muhammad. It really is. And I feel insulted when someone says I can't. So how does that enter into this fictional world of yours? You couldn't have anything against that idea, because you say everyone has to respect such basic beliefs. You have to respect this belief, because otherwise you'll insult me. Only problem is that this belief says you can make fun of everything. Mind you, this is not mere semantics, this is the actual conflict.

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    But people get offended by any number of things. So it's obvious that your motive is not to prevent people getting offended, because then you would say "please don't make fun of people ever". But that's not what you're saying. You're saying "I like making fun of people, but please don't make fun of certain things I hold dear".

bes, please. I'm trying to have a conversation here and so often people jump on someone who thinks different and drive him away, preventing that conversation.
    Martin,

the only rational answer is "yes". And it's not "yes, but". You can't say no either. It's yes, yes, yes. Without any form of limitation.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #139
    Some people consider their religion as their only true possession in life. It's what keeps them going in what they see as a materialistic, cruel, and unjust world. If you don't feel the same way about religion, you have every right not to. But I think it's rather senseless and unethical to insult something that is considered invaluable to so many people.
    What if their whole belief system is based on a lie that's harmful to both them and others? And just because it's "religion" you can't criticize it? Now that is what is senseless.

Fellas

Farsopoli
    Jun 13, 2005
    In my opinion if you are a normal human.. then you respect other peoples religion.. you can have your opinion but it's not good to make fun or say bad things about what is their religion.

I can't see why a guy like Seven.. gets away whit this rasicm here on Juventuz.com.. he really seem to be against Muslims..

If he was the leader in the world then I believe that all muslims would be dead.
    Sick that it's acceptable on this site.. Second thing he always writes things to offend other members like Allah dosen't exist.. I am sure that is only to provoce other members. I say honest here that I think that guy is really low.. And im asking myself would he do it if I or someone else meet him ( not on internet as a coward).. If would beat him up without no doubt.. That kid seems to have no respect at al..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)