Is it okay to make fun of religion? (1 Viewer)

Is it OK to make fun of Religion?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jun 26, 2007
The circular and repetitive nature is a form of torture for those of us bystanders. Just FYI.

Like listening to a Philip Glass album for several weeks straight.
It's not because most threads in this section contain critique towards religion by some members, that they all have the same content.

I personally think some of the football sections in here are by far the most redundant part of the forum, but that doesn't mean I'm going to post in there complaining about it.

Yeah, because that stuff is funny. But the question is is there anything you can't make fun of. Your answer?
Yes. It's not okay to degradingly make fun of someone's personal weaknesses.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
Jun 25, 2003
Do you realize what a complete hypocrite you are right now? Why should I have the decency of having the law next to me before I say something yet you can say anything about Islam without having the Qur'an next to you and you can say anything you want about the Prophet Muhammad without having read a single Sunnah?
No, you don't understand. After all this time. I'm not making assumptions about Muhammad. And if I do make assumptions they're not based on the Qur'an. I also find it amusing that you compare the Qur'an to the law. Interesting point of view ;).

In reality the analogy is so false, it's ridiculous I even go into this. You're attacking the law because of what's in the law, but you don't know what's in it. I'm not attacking the Qur'an. I'm making fun of Muhammad. Different thing.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
It's not because most threads in this section contain critique towards religion by some members, that they all have the same content.

I personally think some of the football sections in here are by far the most redundant part of the forum, but that doesn't mean I'm going to post in there complaining about it.
But if someone goes on beating the Zlatan vs. Del Piero stuff like we had here a few years back, you better believe I posted in there complaining about it. :alen:

But a big difference is that we didn't create a new Zlatan vs. Del Piero thread, each with a new poll, every other day to rehash everything over and over again. Typically, those conversations stayed in their respective areas and didn't litter the forums all over with recycled material the way this has.

I guess the only curious thing for me is that people are actually interested in having the same cyclical conversation over and over and over again -- just under the pretense of a new poll generated from a different perspective for holding the same conversation. Whether it's religion vs. not, Del Piero vs. Zlatan, Tarzan vs. Flash Gordon, etc.

If we can just leave it in one or two threads, I'd be a lot happier about that than having more stuff to clutter up the place and moderate. Because essentially the same conversation is now happening with the same people in several different threads in parallel, and the number of these threads keeps growing.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
Face it Seven, you're a hypocrite and you've been exposed yet again. You need to find an alternate source of pleasuring yourself.

Get out of Dodge.

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #107
    pretty much everything, provided you are doing what micheal richards did. my question to you is, how relevant is context?
    I don't know really, I'm trying to explore the question. It seems clear to me that no decent person would insult people on purpose. But then shouldn't you have the right to kinda prod people a little, when it turns out they themselves actually kinda like it (ethnic comedy is like this)?

Some dead guy said "When you lose the ability to laugh at yourself it's time for others to laugh at you".

I guess I'm not the type who takes offense easily, but I personally find that jokes made out of ignorance bother me a lot more than those made out of knowledge. It's degrading to be made fun of by a bunch of hicks while it's totally cool (most of the time) if it's coming from someone who "gets it", would you agree?

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #109
    But if someone goes on beating the Zlatan vs. Del Piero stuff like we had here a few years back, you better believe I posted in there complaining about it. :alen:

But a big difference is that we didn't create a new Zlatan vs. Del Piero thread, each with a new poll, every other day to rehash everything over and over again. Typically, those conversations stayed in their respective areas and didn't litter the forums all over with recycled material the way this has.

I guess the only curious thing for me is that people are actually interested in having the same cyclical conversation over and over and over again -- just under the pretense of a new poll generated from a different perspective for holding the same conversation.

If we can just leave it in one or two threads, I'd be a lot happier about that than having more stuff to clutter up the place and moderate. Because essentially the same conversation is now happening with the same people in several different threads in parallel, and the number of these threads keeps growing.
    Should I make a thread about how it's annoying that you're meta posting in these threads? And then should someone make a thread about how it's annoying that I make threads where I complain about you complaining in my threads?

Frankly these questions are a lot deeper than you give them credit for. I thought the torture thread gathered quite a few interesting responses from people and no it wasn't rehashing the same thing as already happened elsewhere.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    I don't know really, I'm trying to explore the question. It seems clear to me that no decent person would insult people on purpose. But then shouldn't you have the right to kinda prod people a little, when it turns out they themselves actually kinda like it (ethnic comedy is like this)?

Some dead guy said "When you lose the ability to laugh at yourself it's time for others to laugh at you".

I guess I'm not the type who takes offense easily, but I personally find that jokes made out of ignorance bother me a lot more than those made out of knowledge. It's degrading to be made fun of by a bunch of hicks while it's totally cool (most of the time) if it's coming from someone who "gets it", would you agree?
    I totally agree.

OP
    Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #114
    it's disrespectful of someone's beliefs
    And why is that a problem? Don't we say stuff like "Inter merda"? That's just as disrespectful. Don't we have a witch hunt (badass and that zlatan fan) for certain members in this forum? Where's the respect there?

Ahmed

Principino
    Sep 3, 2006
    And why is that a problem? Don't we say stuff like "Inter merda"? That's just as disrespectful. Don't we have a witch hunt (badass and that zlatan fan) for certain members in this forum? Where's the respect there?
    it's not the same and you know it Mart

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    Ehh..yeah, that's what I meant as well. Didn't see anything wrong with your post though.
    Then good, i just didnt get a good sleep tonight, studied, woked up very early... anyway im glad that my message was understandable :)

Jan 7, 2004
    it's disrespectful of someone's beliefs

a belief is not based on evidence but faith. believing that something that is not based on evidence will occur is a type of unreasonable behaviour which is one of the definitions of stupid.

quite frankly, your and anyone else's beliefs are so unimportant that making fun of them should have no consequences

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)