Is it okay to make fun of religion? (1 Viewer)

Is it OK to make fun of Religion?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Fred

Oct 2, 2003
I think there are limits for everything. At least for me, this is how I set my life on, limits for everything.

You can't go in a park for example and see religious person sitting and then start making fun out of religion. It doesn't make sense and it's way off the limits. You can argue, debate, criticize certain things but no make fun of them. Also depends how you define fun. Each one has his own way of making fun.

Also the religious person shouldn't be strict and not accept a joke, that's not normal too. But like I said there are limits for everything.

You know your limits, you know how you adapt to certain things, you know when to joke when not to and it's all good.
I agree. Setting the limits is the biggest problem though, are we going to rely on every single person's individual judgment? Or are we going to set a moral standard for making fun of a given person's religion/ beliefs? If the latter is what we choose, where do we draw the line? What measures do we use?

It's a complex issue if you really think about it. In the end what practically happens currently is that it's down to every individuals own personal judgment. In the end you're either distasteful like Seven, or you state your beliefs and argue your points with respect ala Martin.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
In my book, tolerating other people's beliefs is to let them make fun of my beliefs as much as they want, to stay calm and not to get fired up.
so to avoid that you choose to make fun of their beliefs and ask them to stay calm and not get fired up.:luckyluke:

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
Also, the park is for everyone to enjoy. Why should I have to leave because someone wants to stand there and shout out offensive material?

There are nudist beaches where you're allowed to walk around nude. If you're a nudist you can't walk into a random park nude. You could say, well if you don't want to see naked people leave the park but that's not how it works. Your counter argument doesn't stand here I'm afraid.
I didn't imply this. You're allowed to go ahead with your freedom as long as you don't FORCE people to bear with the probable nuisances your freedom could cause. Making fun of religion in the forums is an example. You don't have to reply to what Seven says nor do you have to read his comments. He once posted a picture in the funny stuff thread. I'd seen the picture before, him posting it or not couldn't make the picture be vanished from the net. He didn't cause any trouble. He didn't force you to look at the pic. Why did you ban him?

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
because seven posted that picture knowing it will offend people here.
Picture this.... someone keeps calling your wife a slut..everywhere he can he is calling your wife a slut what would you do? he is not forcing you to hear him calling her a slut.. maybe even he never said it infront of you..
either way you'll kick his ass

Hist

Founder of Hism
Jan 18, 2009
Posting a picture that is funny isn't the same thing.
why so? the guy may think its funny that he is calling your wife a slut... i am sure you wouldnt though.

Is it just me or are you guys arguing for the sake of arguing

Enron

Tickle Me
Oct 11, 2005
why so? the guy may think its funny that he is calling your wife a slut... i am sure you wouldnt though.

Is it just me or are you guys arguing for the sake of arguing
No I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing. Seven didn't walk into your kitchen and call your wife a slut. He told an anecdote referring to a wife who is a slut in a comedy club where it's ok to do such things. If my analogy escapes you then here is the breakdown...

Seven posted the picture in a thread entitled 'Funny Pictures Thread'. You know the place where you post a funny picture. He thought the picture was funny and if he wanted it to be insulting he would have posted in an islamic thread so the muslim population of the forum would be sure to see it. Instead he didn't. A moderator saw the picture and immediately banned him for 3 weeks. That's what led to the ongoing discussion.

The whole point of having the 'Funny Pictures' Thread is to have a place to post such pictures (those that are questionable) so people can avoid them if necessary. A lot of pictures in that thread are borderline offensive if not completely offensive, yet no one is punished for the non-religious pictures.

That's basically the basis for this discussion. The question 'why not religion' is up for debate. I think making fun of religion is fine as long as it's in the right place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)