Is it okay to make fun of homeopathy? (1 Viewer)

Is it okay to make fun of homeopathy? Or religion

• No. Nothing should be fair game to be made fun of.

• Yes to homeopathy, but religion is special.

• Yes to both.

• I am a athiest homeopath, you insensitive clod.

Results are only viewable after voting.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
Homeopathy is big. In Britain, there are homeopathic hospitals which are funded by the taxpayer.

What is homeopathy? It's a so-called "alternative medicine". Practicioners insist it works, even in the face of multiple high quality medical trials in which it has failed to work better than placebo.

Many people ridicule homeopathy. It's not hard to see why: these medicines are made by diluting various things in water until there is nothing in the bottle but water. A standard dilution, 30C, is diluted enough that if you had a ball of the medicine which stretched from here to the centre of the sun, there'd be one molecule of the original substance in it.

Still, some people swear by it, and are offended by the ridicule of scientists, doctors and science enthusiasts. Should their beliefs be defended from ridicule?

Bear in mind that this does some harm - people have sold homepathic cures for diseases like malaria, where placebo is far from sufficient as a treatment. Protecting these ideas from ridicule leaves ordinary people vulnerable to quacks when they fall ill.

So, do you think users and practitioners of homepathy should be protected from ridicule? And is your answer different from Martin's poll?

Buy on AliExpress.com

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
Greg's worst nightmare. Another thread starter. :)

Homeopathy is a fascinating phenomenon. Noone with a high school chemistry education should fall for it, and yet for some inexplicable reason it's a totally "legitimate" thing.

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #4
    My experience, Martin, is that most people who use it are unaware of how it works. They think it's a bit like herbal remedies, which at least has some grasp on reality. Then you have some people who insist that water has "memory" and that the medical trials are rigged or somehow don't work for homeopathy.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    My experience, Martin, is that most people who use it are unaware of how it works. They think it's a bit like herbal remedies, which at least has some grasp on reality. Then you have some people who insist that water has "memory" and that the medical trials are rigged or somehow don't work for homeopathy.
    I never knew what it was, but I knew I had seen the word somewhere in one those "health food" stores. Then I saw that James Randi talk on youtube and I was dumbfounded.

In some sense I guess you could argue that it's a positive thing, placebo that some people actually believes is helping them but without the side effects of drugs. At the price of bold faced fraud, naturally.

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    The word Homeopathy is pretty misleading as well. It makes you think of homeopathic remedies, which don't really work either.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    First time i have heard of such thing. Basicly its a placebo just that you know its a placebo, so it makes him just water? Or what is the whole principle behind this?

Water cant hold information? If you can write information/memory into laser/light, why then water cant be coded?

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #8
    First time i have heard of such thing. Basicly its a placebo just that you know its a placebo, so it makes him just water? Or what is the whole principle behind this?
    If that was it, if people acknowledged that it's a placebo, that'd be great. But people insist that it's not, claim it can cure things it can't, which places people at risk and defrauds sick people who believe them.

Water cant hold information? If you can write information/memory into laser/light, why then water cant be coded?
    I could imagine storing information as patterns in ice. I could even imagine patterning the ripples on a pool of water. However, there's no mechanism known that does anything like what homeopaths claim. There's no evidence that what they claim actually happens either, so there's no sign that there is such a mechanism that we don't know about.

OP
    mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #9
    The word Homeopathy is pretty misleading as well. It makes you think of homeopathic remedies, which don't really work either.
    Homeopathy is the use of homepathic remedies. I think you've confused some term here.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
    If that was it, if people acknowledged that it's a placebo, that'd be great. But people insist that it's not, claim it can cure things it can't, which places people at risk and defrauds sick people who believe them.

I could imagine storing information as patterns in ice. I could even imagine patterning the ripples on a pool of water. However, there's no mechanism known that does anything like what homeopaths claim. There's no evidence that what they claim actually happens either, so there's no sign that there is such a mechanism that we don't know about.
    But if they think its curing them? doesnt it make it as a placebo? Placebo is some sort of stuff they give you while you think it is the real deal right? So deasnt this make this like placebo too?

I didnt claim that it stores as they say, since this is the first time i even heard about this issue. I was just interested in water and information combination :)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    It depends on how strict your definition is. Sometimes they use stuff that has a proven effect. But even then there's something better on the market.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    Greg's worst nightmare. Another thread starter. :)

Homeopathy is a fascinating phenomenon. Noone with a high school chemistry education should fall for it, and yet for some inexplicable reason it's a totally "legitimate" thing.
    I know some places around here that make what I call "homeopathic coffee". That is not meant as a complement. :pado:

Enron

Tickle Me
    Oct 11, 2005
    Homeopathy is the use of homepathic remedies. I think you've confused some term here.
    Oh maybe I was thinking of home remedies. Like using a poultice to relive dirty cuts or swelling. Rubbing crap on your chest to clear out congestion, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)