Is it okay to make fun of homeopathy? (1 Viewer)

Is it okay to make fun of homeopathy? Or religion

• No. Nothing should be fair game to be made fun of.

• Yes to homeopathy, but religion is special.

• Yes to both.

• I am a athiest homeopath, you insensitive clod.

Results are only viewable after voting.

swag

L'autista
Administrator
Sep 23, 2003
I see. Maybe make fun of religion Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, but leave homeopathy to weekends plus Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Not a bad suggestion, Aaron.

OP
mikhail

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
  • Thread Starter #24
    Oh maybe I was thinking of home remedies. Like using a poultice to relive dirty cuts or swelling. Rubbing crap on your chest to clear out congestion, etc.
    It depends on how strict your definition is. Sometimes they use stuff that has a proven effect. But even then there's something better on the market.
    Some stuff, e.g. willow bark for pain relief, has some basis in reality - the chemical in paracetamol is in the bark naturally - but it's not homeopathy, which is all about the diluting stuff beyond all reason.

I think a lot of people confuse homeopathy with alternative medicine. It's just one part of it, and IMO the most ridiculous part.

I think homeopathy is dangerous. The LEAST people could do is make fun about it.
    Yeah, that's my position too.

Though I am the guy who voted that he was an atheist homeopath.

But if they think its curing them? doesnt it make it as a placebo? Placebo is some sort of stuff they give you while you think it is the real deal right? So deasnt this make this like placebo too?
    Yes, it is a classic placebo, and that effect can be very powerful against some problems. However, modern medicine has a problem with the placebo effect because medical ethics call for informed consent - you have to tell people you're giving them a placebo, which doesn't go down well! There's definitely an interesting debate to be had about the place the placebo effect has in modern medicine, but homeopaths are defrauding the sick people who come to them, and often make claims far beyond what the evidence supports, like the malaria cure I mentioned earlier.

I think this article is both terrifying and relevant:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2009/may/13/simon-singh-british-chiropractic-association

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)