Is he the one? (1 Viewer)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
The credibility of the EPL is undermined every year once those clubs get eliminated from the CL and as Andy stated, their level of success in this competition has been rather unspectacular over the years. In comes a young coach with a spotless record, 6 titles in 2 seasons, one whose team defied the odds from start to finish and finally lifted the holiest trophy in Europe. The backdrop needs no repetition, Abrahimovich is the most generous patron in the world, every player Mourinho asked for he got. To set a fair criterion for success, I would suggest within 2 years he should win a league title and the CL.

Is he the tactical genius so many proclaim him to be? Is he the one to take an English club all the way to the top?

Buy on AliExpress.com
Jan 7, 2004
well, he has to take it one step at a time and the first step might even be the hardest. they get a lucky win at barca and go and win it all Maurinho becomes a hero. they lose to barca and ....

for next year, lets see first how much abrahimovich will spend this summer

Tom

The DJ
Oct 30, 2001
Yes, I think he is, personally. He is without question one of the very best and tactically astute managers in the business, and he's got a bottomless pit of money to back him up. The team already has a very mean defence and superb work ethic, backed up by some very talented individuals.

I'm not convinced they can win it this year, I think their lack of a world class forward will probably hamper their chances in the end but I expect them to be serious contenders over the next few years

OP
Martin

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
  • Thread Starter #4
    One way or another, I don't think he'll be with Chelsea for more than 5 years. If he's brilliant, he'll win and move on to another challenge. Otherwise they boot him out. I don't think he's the type to build a winning team and just sit there like Fergie.

Tom

The DJ
    Oct 30, 2001
    Agree on that, doesn't strike me as the type to sit around. If he wins both the EPL and CL within say the next three years he'll probably be motivated to move on to another challenge, he'd be welcome here if he decides to do that.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
    Dec 16, 2003
    ++ [ originally posted by Martin ] ++
    One way or another, I don't think he'll be with Chelsea for more than 5 years. If he's brilliant, he'll win and move on to another challenge. Otherwise they boot him out. I don't think he's the type to build a winning team and just sit there like Fergie.
    I disagree, what he is earning in Chelsea no other Club can afford to pay him this much, so i think he'll end up like Fergie (IF) he manage to win something this year or next year..

baggio

Jun 3, 2003
    Under Abrahomivich, the result is all that matters. He doesnt care how Chelsea wins as long as they do. And for that, I believe he has the right man in Mourinho. Who imo, is one of the top coaches around. Would love to see what he can do with an Italian team, coz i think his game would be well suited to the seriea. But for now, Chelsea are at the top of their game, and i dont think Mourinho will be getting any second chances after having assembled the team he wanted. Cant see Mourinho with Chelsea for more than 2 seasons if he goes empty handed. On the other hand, i agree with Martin, any success will see him here at least 5 years if not more.

Elnur_E65

Feb 21, 2004
    So far he's been meeting expectations by 100%.

At Porto Mourinho has won 5 competitions out of 6 which it participated in in the 02-03 and 03-04 seasons (failed to beat Benfica in the Portugese cup final).

And now. He has all the players he wants, he plays in a very competative league, and God knows where Chelsea will end up.

Bjerknes

"Top Economist"
    Mar 16, 2004
    Mourinho is a brilliant coach and the style of play he brings to the EPL will undoubtedly help the league become more "civilized" to Europe for lack of a better expression. Mourinho uses basically the same style at Chelsea that he used with Porto, so there is a good chance of Chelsea making it to the latter stages of the CL. But is Mourinho's Chelsea unbeatable? No team is unbeatable. But in my eyes Jose is the best coach in English football, and now England has the best chance to see the CL trophy paraded through the streets of London in a long time.

Rami

The Linuxologist
    Dec 24, 2004
    I believe that Renieri is a great coach and could lead Chelsea to numerous triumphs, under the condition that the bench doesnt get too crowded with stars. If that happened conflict is bound to arise. Also, if he concentrated with what he has and building his current team. IMO then and only then he will win a CL, if not two or three!! But on the other hand he went into a spending spree every transfer season, then i don't really see him going anywhere,

I also think that Chelsea is in a precarious position. True that Abra boosted them all the way to the top. But its the rule number 1 in finance, greater return means greater risk. Abra's interests in Chelsea are still unknown. Personally I dont believe his official line, that he was fascinated by the game after he watched RM and MU in Old Trafford in 2003. No savvy businessman would venture into such expenditure unless he is expecting something in return. Abra has interests in Chelsea whether its purely investment, or the search of glory and being famous, or something else I don't know. Also, lets not forget that Abra is part of the Russian oligarchs, who are under increasing pressure from the Russian tax authority of how they made their fortunes. So what would happen, if Abra suddenly looses interest in Chelsea, or sent to jail just like his former boss and partner? Who will fill that huge vaccum on Chelsea's balance sheet?? The club will probably file for bankruptcy if that happened.

Alex

May 1, 2004
    Chelsea can be beaten. Chelsea will be beaten. Players will come players will go. Mourinho will stay Mourinho will go.

Geof

May 14, 2004
    The pressure for the coach in Ch€£$k¥ is enormous. Look at Ranieri, sacked for being second in EPL.

I think Mourinho will win big things with Ch€£$k¥ in the next 2-3 years. but after a while he'll have a less good season, and the Abramovich will fire him, bringing a new talented coach in.

Fergie established himself as the spirit of ManU, and he can "afford" to have a season without winning any title, but that's not Mourinho's case.

Anyway, I'm impressed with Ch€£$k¥. I thought they would be another Real Madrid, signing stars and selling shirts. But they managed to build a strong team with incredible players in every line, without losing their spirit.

Abramovich knows more about football than Perez.

Gandalf

Jul 28, 2003
    funny how you put geof... Ch€£$k¥.. :D

I don't think he's the one.. he may win some titles with chelsea and then leave..

or, who knows, he may get unlucky, and come the 2nd in the EPL, and lose the CL title in the semi-final.. and then, get sacked..!!

however, he's still a great tactician..

Lampard #8

Apr 8, 2004
    I think (and hope he will stay).

Mourinho has said several times he sees him self at Chelsea for a long time and one must wonder what he is thinking when he watches his team play. He inherited one of the best squads in Europe and has a bottomless pit of cash to top it up anyway he sees. The fans love him and he is earning heaps.

The way I see it, Mourinho will build a dynasty, a monster.

Desmond

Jul 12, 2002
    Abramovich is extremely fickly.All it will take is one season without winning at least a double and Roman will have reason to replace him with the latest new managerial prospect.

Being the hottest young manager around he was almost made for the Chelsea job and it's not hard to see why he caught Abramovich's eye.He has always employed a similar approach to buying players,eg. Drogba,Robben and Mutu.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)