Is Family Guy better than The Simpsons? (1 Viewer)

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
Ive been a huge Simpsons fan for a very long time.Needless to say,the quality of the show has declined over the years,but the show itself is Iconic.Easily the greatest 2D show television has ever seen IMO.

On the other hand,you have Family Guy.Newer than the Simpsons,and it has a huge following.Its actually the only show that was first cancelled,and was then continued purely on the basis of its high DVD sales.

They have the virtualy same basic plot.A stupid man,with a level headed wife with a daughter who is unpopular with people.Stewie,Bart,Brian and Maggie could be the exceptions here.

Ive tried watching the show multiple times,and everytime i watch it,one thought hits me :

"This is a Simpsons Rip Off"

And becuase im such a big fan of The Simpsons,ive never been able to like Family Guy.Maybe its loyalty or whatever,but ive never been able to get over the fact that this show is a godamn Simpsons Ripoff.I dont find the stories or the characters funny(including Stewie).Peter's character and his laugh in particular annoys me,the theme music pisses me off,I think the humour attached with Stewie is very forced etc.I could be biased here,but hey,you cant fight the subconcious.I dont think id ever be able to like this show.

I dont know if Seth MacFarlane intended to make it a Simpsons copy,but anyway.

Do you think Its better than The Simpsons?

Yes I know,some people can enjoy both shows without being biased.But surely,there's got to be a show that you like better amongst these two.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
My friend and I were discussing this just the other in fact.

Simpsons has lost its touch. Family is 10x better than the current Simpsons, in fact people don't watch that anymore.

I don't get what you mean by "story" because Family Guy doesn't have one. It's just complete randomness and therefore I really don't see how it's a rip-off of the Simpsons.

OP
HelterSkelter

HelterSkelter

Apr 15, 2005
  • Thread Starter #5
    Im talking about the basic structure of the show.I probably used the wrong word.I think its a Simpsons rip off..Homer and Peter..Marge and Loius..Meg and Lisa(kind of)..Peter and Homer's eccentric friends..And Family Guy does have stories.Its not random.The humour is random however.

But thats just me.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
    Apr 14, 2005
    the first 3 seasons of family guy are golden after its pretty much garbage(bar a few episodes). Simpsons has had a dip as well but its simply an unmovable cultural icon. No show whether animated or not comes close to the simpsons, it's a dimension by itself. I'd say it's blasphemous to compare the two.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Im talking about the basic structure of the show.I probably used the wrong word.I think its a Simpsons rip off..Homer and Peter..Marge and Loius..Meg and Lisa(kind of)..Peter and Homer's eccentric friends..And Family Guy does have stories.Its not random.The humour is random however.

But thats just me.
    I think you're looking too much into it. I don't know the 'genre' of these shows, but they all have the same 'set-up' if that make sense. Like the show American Dad that has a similar set-up.

The only show that stands out in this type of 'genre' is Futurama.

V

Jun 8, 2005
    • V

V

Every show loses its touch after a few seasons, it's a normal thing. That said, whoever says Family Guy or Futurama or anything is better than The Simpons, will have lost all respect I had for him/her.

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
    Every show loses its touch after a few seasons, it's a normal thing. That said, whoever says Family Guy or Futurama or anything is better than The Simpons, will have lost all respect I had for him/her.
    I hope you meant that as a general statement and not to me, because I'd never say that. The Simpsons at its best eats all these shows for breakfast.

swag

L'autista
    Administrator
    Sep 23, 2003
    I don't see the Family Guy as a rip-off of the Simpsons. The Simpsons in its prime told a story. The Family Guy comes off too often as a series of 15-20-second jokes strung together at random with a pathetic excuse of a plotline or character development.

The Family Guy always struck me as a show where the writers were trapped by the 30-minute linear format and could never find a way out of it.

Cuti

The Real MC
    Jul 30, 2006
    I used to be a Simpsons fanatic, in fact i have a lot of things of the Simpsons, including all the seasons on dvd's, but the humour in the Simpsons is more for young teens(till like 15-16), whereas Family Guy is targeted at those 17+.

I like Family Guy cause its just so random.

South Park has episodes regarding these two series.

Of the Simpsons says how the Simpsons have done everything, so its impossible not to copy something.

Of Family Guy is a two-parter, explaining why it is so random :D (Manatees :D)

Seven

In bocca al lupo, Fabio.
    Jun 25, 2003
    Family Guy isn't anywhere near the Simpsons. The current Simpsons aren't great, but they're still better. South Park beats the two of them right now though.

Anyway, if I'd have the pick any show of them as a whole in terms of history and stuff, the Simpsons win hands down. Family Guy suck and will always suck for its randomness.

Red

-------
    Nov 26, 2006
    the first 3 seasons of family guy are golden after its pretty much garbage(bar a few episodes). Simpsons has had a dip as well but its simply an unmovable cultural icon. No show whether animated or not comes close to the simpsons, it's a dimension by itself. I'd say it's blasphemous to compare the two.
    :tup:

JCK

Biased
    JCK
    May 11, 2004
    Nothing is better than The Simspons, Family Guy is fun, Futurama has slick humour, American Dad reminds of Vinman. South Park sucks but in the end The Simpsons rule them all.

Jun 26, 2007
    I think even trying to compare the two is just plain stupid. It's like comparing The Beatles with some band like the Artic Monkeys or whatever.

The Simpsons invented this genre, and they have by far the most sophisticated humour, with great obvious jokes and subtle, very well hidden jokes as well. As a matter of fact, I still often discover new jokes when rewatching old episodes I've already seen like 5 times.

But thats just me.
    I know what you mean. The type of characters often leads to very similar situational jokes. In fact some Family Guy jokes are exactly the same as those of an older Simpsons episode. And Seth McFarlane has already admitted that a major part of his show is inspired by The Simpsons.

I think Futurama is about equally as good as The Simpsons.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)