iPhone vs Android (2 Viewers)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
If there's anyone that I know who should install it, it's you! :D

DO you plan on becoming an Android dev?
Dunno, I like to dev for my computer, spend so much more time here. But if I need somin on the phone and I can do it quickly why not.

Not so crazy about java, but mebbe there are other options now.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I was doing some low level stuff to run on my wifi router (linux also) a while back. In c. Sort of exciting, cause it's like walking on a knife's edge, it's that easy to mess up and crash. But really I get more of a thrill from working code that does non-trivial things.

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
I'm gonna wait for Dru to chime in you guys are no use :D
At the end of the day its a matter of taste. The iPhone boasts certain traits which Android phone manufacturers jsut can't match. For example the virtual keyboard. But then again Android devices have other benefits over iPhones.

In terms of build, I would give iPhones the upper hand in quality, structure and solidarity. But in terms of functionality and aesthetics, Android devices rule. The underlying turn off on the iPhone for me is its network restrictions. Why did Apple sign such a dumb fuck exclusivity deal with AT&T??? They had to have been smarter than that right? Knowing well that Sprint and Verizon have much better 3G networks (infrastructure included). This is where Apple fucked up and they fucked up bad, in terms of potential revenue lost which for them is the bottom line.

I would honestly stick with Android devices because you don't have to pay an arm and a leg to own one. Plus like I always say, if Google is behind it, then you know its gonna be the best of the best.

Ahmed

Principino
Sep 3, 2006
nothing better in the world than a brown bastard explaining technology :touched:

+rep

by the way what is the best Android-supporting phone, and what is its price?

.zero

★ ★ ★
Aug 8, 2006
nothing better in the world than a brown bastard explaining technology :touched:

+rep

by the way what is the best Android-supporting phone, and what is its price?
:pint:

Its tough to answer your question since manufacturers like HTC, Samsung, Lenovo, Motorola all pump out Android devices like chinese women pump out babies. I would have to say that the Nexus One was the best one I ever used. Solid, clean build. Running 2.1 without a snag.

But the Lenovo LE phone is supposed to be the cream of the crop IMO. But we shall wait and see.

BTW, RIM is the worldwide leader in smartphones - both consumer and business sectors, so forza BB

OP
Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #36
    At the end of the day its a matter of taste. The iPhone boasts certain traits which Android phone manufacturers jsut can't match. For example the virtual keyboard. But then again Android devices have other benefits over iPhones.

In terms of build, I would give iPhones the upper hand in quality, structure and solidarity. But in terms of functionality and aesthetics, Android devices rule. The underlying turn off on the iPhone for me is its network restrictions. Why did Apple sign such a dumb fuck exclusivity deal with AT&T??? They had to have been smarter than that right? Knowing well that Sprint and Verizon have much better 3G networks (infrastructure included). This is where Apple fucked up and they fucked up bad, in terms of potential revenue lost which for them is the bottom line.

I would honestly stick with Android devices because you don't have to pay an arm and a leg to own one. Plus like I always say, if Google is behind it, then you know its gonna be the best of the best.
    First of all, I think you're slipping with being so nice to Apple.

All of that doesn't bother the average user. The average user might complain about ATT but it's not to the extreme that they'll opt for a different provider (ergo different phone). Also esthetically speaking I think you're wrong and I would have to agree with iPhone maniacs that Apple's phone are better looking; the iPhone 4 especially.

The one argument that I gave that just doesn't click in their heads is that I don't have to upgrade my phone every time a new upgrade of android is available. Apparently you can do the same thing on the iPhone, for ex. the iPhone 4 software upgrade was retrievable on the iPhone 3GS (which I haven't confirmed) but the way Apple does things it makes you go out and get a new phone and because no one else makes iPhones you're stuck with Apple. Me on the other hand, if I do want to upgrade my phone I have the benefit of selecting between a range of phones. Am I right or wrong?

OP
    Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
    Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #37
    Btw, I hear that Intel & Nvidia are getting behind android and soon phones android will be off da chain in terms of processor speeds and graphics.

.zero

★ ★ ★
    Aug 8, 2006
    First of all, I think you're slipping with being so nice to Apple.

All of that doesn't bother the average user. The average user might complain about ATT but it's not to the extreme that they'll opt for a different provider (ergo different phone). Also esthetically speaking I think you're wrong and I would have to agree with iPhone maniacs that Apple's phone are better looking; the iPhone 4 especially.

The one argument that I gave that just doesn't click in their heads is that I don't have to upgrade my phone every time a new upgrade of android is available. Apparently you can do the same thing on the iPhone, for ex. the iPhone 4 software upgrade was retrievable on the iPhone 3GS (which I haven't confirmed) but the way Apple does things it makes you go out and get a new phone and because no one else makes iPhones you're stuck with Apple. Me on the other hand, if I do want to upgrade my phone I have the benefit of selecting between a range of phones. Am I right or wrong?
    Correction, when I meant aesthetically I meant where core competencies were perfected. I used the wrong term to describe what I was talking about.

To answer your question, you're right. With the iPhone you're stuck. Android is like Symbian (the OS running on all Nokia and most SE devices). Scalable and widely available. And in terms of upgrading the iPhone, you have to wipe your device clean and then reload your personal data after the install. Thats not the case with Android. The upgrades are OTA and seamless for the most part unless you hack and cook your own ROMS.

Btw, I hear that Intel & Nvidia are getting behind android and soon phones android will be off da chain in terms of processor speeds and graphics.
    I haven't been keeping up with stuff lately but if thats true then the market is about to heat up dramatically!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
    Dude, they are already! It's insane :D My phone which cost 260 bucks has the same amount of memory as my 7 year old laptop that once cost 1,400 :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)