iPhone vs Android (1 Viewer)

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
So a few friends and I have been having this argument on and off for the past 2 weeks.

The argument pretty much started because I called Apple fans (iPhone fans specifically) annoying and really ignorant. They think the iPhone is the best thing since sliced bread, Steve Jobs is God, and that there is nothing like the iPhone out there. I also called them Apple's bitches and slaves. Let's just say it didn't go down well and hence the iPhone v Android debate.

First off, I just want to make it clear that I'm not anti-iPhone in the sense that I don't hate people for liking it and buying it...what I don't like is the arrogance of these people and the brainwashing techniques of the company.

I argued the benefit of Android; open source, not tied to a single carrier, isn't enslaved to iTunes, etc etc. but this doesn't change anything for them. The one thing that they care about is the immediate benefit of them switching to android from the iPhone. Is there an immediate benefit?

I wanna hear your arguments in this debate. About the short-term benefits.

Buy on AliExpress.com

Suns

Release clause?
May 22, 2009
I've just decided to buy the Iphone 4. I don't know that much about phones but what does "open source" really mean? What is it and whats the bad thing about not having an open source?

And, Iphone vs Android..Pros and cons? Help me out guys!

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
You probably shouldn't call them names and imply they're idiots, it's not the best way to convince people of your point of view. (Just ask a certain Juventuz member who's been banned a lot eh.)

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
I've just decided to buy the Iphone 4. I don't know that much about phones but what does "open source" really mean? What is it and whats the bad thing about not having an open source?

Eh, long story. Open source is more or less based on the premise that once you buy something (anything) you have the right to do whatever you want with it, after all you own it, right? That means if your phone has a crappy email program, you can replace it etc.

Apple's ideology = we sell you stuff and you will like it. We don't allow you to change anything you don't like. Even if you buy something from us, we still control the device.

As you can imagine there are those who find that attitude obnoxious to put it mildly.

EDIT: The fact that you can install apps on the iPhone AT ALL is a result of pressure from consumers. Originally Apple had no such thing in mind, they didn't allow it at the start.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
So the war is shifting from Mac vs PC to iPhone vs Android? People are going to buy what they like in the end.

Mohad

The Ocean Star
May 20, 2009
It's a matter of choice, and what's better for them.

For developers, I think iPhone is better if your intent is to develop commercial (i.e. you get paid) software.

As an open source developer, Android is probably more fun to play with.

Martin

Dec 31, 2000
It's a matter of choice, and what's better for them.

For developers, I think iPhone is better if your intent is to develop commercial (i.e. you get paid) software.

As an open source developer, Android is probably more fun to play with.
There have been some recent studies on this. Basically the conclusion is that if you're a dev hoping to make a living from iPhone apps you should be prepared for a very frugal lifestyle. It doesn't pay a lot.

And don't forget you have to fork over $100 to Apple just for the privilege of being a dev. And that they can censor your app any time they want (almost guaranteed to happen if it's an app competing with one of theirs, for instance). Which they do all the time, for all kinds of capricious reasons. Basically if you're a dev, Apple is your dictator. If that's a good deal for devs I'm not so sure. I would never go for it.

icemaη

Rab's Husband - The Regista
Aug 27, 2008

For one you can hold an Android phone any way you want unlike the iPhone 4 :seven:

OP
Zé Tahir

Zé Tahir

JhoolayLaaaal!
Dec 10, 2004
  • Thread Starter #10
    You probably shouldn't call them names and imply they're idiots, it's not the best way to convince people of your point of view. (Just ask a certain Juventuz member who's been banned a lot eh.)
    I gave you a big summary of things that were said; things were said on both ends. That being said, I have no reason or incentive to convince them that android is better/equally good. It's their job to convince me that the iPhone is a gift from God since that's how they perceive it as. They're in the bubble, I'm not.

Bozi

The Bozman
    Administrator
    Oct 18, 2005
    now if this was a discussion about the advantages of Linux Martin would be all over this like Giovinco on a subs bench

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)