Introducing Mrs Mac :P (3 Viewers)

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Bongiovi ] ++
Welcome Emma!

My partner started a 6 month contract in Dublin in January. He's West Indian, he's had 3 seperate incidents at night on his way home from work on O'Connell Street, of being called a nigger, also 3 guys shouting it to him in a pub, and one guy going to hit him....Also one taxi driver who wouldnt have him in his cab because he said he thought he was Nigerian!!!!!!....

I never knew Dublin was like that!!!!!....
Yeah, it's gotten pretty bad here in the past few years. Ireland's a country built on emmigration until about ten years ago, when our ecomony boomed. Now we've immigrants, and there's quite a bit of culture shock, plus the general public see foreigners who've only come in to scab off the social welfare (not an undeserved reputation in some cases, unfortunately), and hate them for it. It's a problem, and I can only hope it'll get better with time.

Were those incidents late at night? O'Connell's Street gets pretty nasty when the night-clubs empty. Thousands of drunken teenagers and young people - lots of fights.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Mac ] ++
Every city has racism. But actually from my experience Dublin isnt like that at all. I guess it depends on the area.
Partly. As a rule of thumb, the less middle-class, the more openly racist. :D

Mostly it's the city centre, late at night, which is a problem, because of the numbers of very drunk people.

Sep 28, 2002
i dont think alcohol has anything to do with rasicm. it might help to open your mouth and more freely express your thoughts towards other people . but if you dont say that you hate asians or blacks just because you're not drunk enough that doesnt mean you're a better person. imo. those fights on o'connell street happens not because of differences in race.

mikhail

Jan 24, 2003
++ [ originally posted by Vilhelmas ] ++
i dont think alcohol has anything to do with rasicm. it might help to open your mouth and more freely express your thoughts towards other people . but if you dont say that you hate asians or blacks just because you're not drunk enough that doesnt mean you're a better person. imo. those fights on o'connell street happens not because of differences in race.
Didn't mean to imply that - the drunken behaviour is attrocious, but the fact is that the racism is an underlying problem, not something that the drunks do randomly.

Bongiovi

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Mac ] ++

Every city has racism. But actually from my experience Dublin isnt like that at all. I guess it depends on the area.

And just to let you know Emma isnt from Dublin and has never been there or anywhere in Ireland, think you picked it up wrong
Oh sorry, I wasnt saying Emma had been to Dublin or anything like that, people were just talking about ireland, thats all, it just reminded me of what happened to him.....I've never been myself, but would like to, and my partner really likes Dublin as well...

Bongiovi

Jul 12, 2002
++ [ originally posted by mikhail ] ++

Yeah, it's gotten pretty bad here in the past few years. Ireland's a country built on emmigration until about ten years ago, when our ecomony boomed. Now we've immigrants, and there's quite a bit of culture shock, plus the general public see foreigners who've only come in to scab off the social welfare (not an undeserved reputation in some cases, unfortunately), and hate them for it. It's a problem, and I can only hope it'll get better with time.

Were those incidents late at night? O'Connell's Street gets pretty nasty when the night-clubs empty. Thousands of drunken teenagers and young people - lots of fights.
You have just said word for word nearly what the taxi driver said to him this morning when he picked him up at the Airport.

Yeah they were late at night, he starts work at 5pm in the afternoon and finishes at 2am every morning, then has to try and get a taxi on O'Connell Street back to his flat..

He just laughs though, he doesnt take anything to heart, he actually really likes Dublin, although he says its expensive. Hopefully I'll find out for myself next weekend when I have my first visit...

gray

Apr 22, 2003
Don't take it personally dude, I'm watching everyone :devil:

We'll see to it that she tells us what we need to know :boxing:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)