Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (47 Viewers)

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
++ [ originally posted by ZAF3000 ] ++
Ok regarding DPs performance during the Inter game, it was not the best display he can provide BUT on the other had trezeguet got out for injury same thing happenned to Zlatan. I say it would have bee foolish from DP or any other player to push hard on the attack while we are leading by 2 goals and the opponants are not being impressive with their attack.
All 3 players were subbed for injuries, two of them from harsh tackels. The two are forwards.
What DP did was pretty smart, instead he tried to take some easy fouls to pass time. Inter were not playing that evening, they were fighting. We were lucky Nedved did not get injured.
If I was a coach I would tell my sub player not to push hard against such a team in such a situation. Just delay the ball but be ware of injury.
That's really a bad way how to justify someone's performance ;)

Buy on AliExpress.com

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
++ [ originally posted by Zizou ] ++

That's really a bad way how to justify someone's performance ;)
I never said he was brilliant. But on the hand it was obvious he did not want to get injured. Look at the past games he played this season, all were terrific. Inter players were really knocking our players. Very bad tackles. Del Piero is not 24 any more. He is 31. He has to make sure he does nto get injured. In addition, our whole midfield slowed down the attack. We wanted to maintain our two goal lead and not lose it as we did last year.
Saying that Del Piero was the reason that Juventus did not attack is wrong. Del Piero did not play a good game, and I think that the reason is he was avioding injury. That is my opinion, everyone is entilted to his own.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
++ [ originally posted by m_elayyan ] ++

I dont think that dp performance is related with juve being leading 2-0 and it related to his capabilities only .
You are absolutely right, this is the same reason he was one of the best players in the three matches he played this season if not the best.

He did not have a good game, that does not make him not capable.

Zlatan had a few terible games early this seaon, can we say that he is not capable?
Nedved had a terrible game this seaon, I think he is also not capable.
Zlatan was a sub in Ascoli's match, when Del Piero scored a brace, he had a terrible second half (the period he played). I don't recall you saying he did not perform because it is related to his capabilities? Please remind me if you did.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003

I never said he was brilliant. But on the hand it was obvious he did not want to get injured. Look at the past games he played this season, all were terrific. Inter players were really knocking our players. Very bad tackles. Del Piero is not 24 any more. He is 31. He has to make sure he does nto get injured. In addition, our whole midfield slowed down the attack. We wanted to maintain our two goal lead and not lose it as we did last year.
Saying that Del Piero was the reason that Juventus did not attack is wrong. Del Piero did not play a good game, and I think that the reason is he was avioding injury. That is my opinion, everyone is entilted to his own.
Seriously I respect the opinions but that's a really bad one there. Why the heck did he play then if he didn't want to get injured? Of course that's not the reason! For any Juve player to play against Inter is something big and would give everything they have in that game.

If DP really did that then he wouldn't deserve to play at all. Juve did not attack cos of DP, that's very obvious, but unfortunately once we lost Zlatan and Trez, we lost a lot of potential for counter attack football, something which is not in DP's style of play.

Why do we have to justify everything? Can't we just say he had a bad game just like Zlatan had before? There's no reason why he had a bad game, he just had it.

JCK

Biased
JCK
May 11, 2004

Seriously I respect the opinions but that's a really bad one there. Why the heck did he play then if he didn't want to get injured? Of course that's not the reason! For any Juve player to play against Inter is something big and would give everything they have in that game.

If DP really did that then he wouldn't deserve to play at all. Juve did not attack cos of DP, that's very obvious, but unfortunately once we lost Zlatan and Trez, we lost a lot of potential for counter attack football, something which is not in DP's style of play.

Why do we have to justify everything? Can't we just say he had a bad game just like Zlatan had before? There's no reason why he had a bad game, he just had it.
I agree that the opinon is not a good one. But I have to disagree with you Glennon why Juve did not attack. DP does not take the whole blame, the problem was stemming from the midfield. We all know that Vieira and Emerson are the dynamos and depending on their position on the pitch the team either attacks or defend. These two were shutting down Inter and thus could not feed neither the front line nor the flanks.

But here you raised one important issue, DP's weakness in counter-attacks (EURO final against France comes flashes in front of me). This is where I agree with Zlatan in the match thread when he said that Mutu should have come instead of DP. Zlatan did not say why, but I know he means and knows that Mutu can handle a counter attack much better.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
Re-read what I said Jeeks, I said:

Juve did not attack cos of DP, that's very obvious, but unfortunately once we lost Zlatan and Trez, we lost a lot of potential for counter attack football, something which is not in DP's style of play.
Just to be clear, I said it's not DP's fault we did not attack it's cos we lost two players who are better suited than DP for quick counter attacks. It's obvious it's not his fault that we had to play that way and he can't do anything when the team plays like that. He has qualities for other tactical situations.

But yes I perfectly agree on the second paragraph, though to be fair, Capello didn't know that Trez would get injured, and for counter attacks he would have been perfect as he would have stayed in the middle for the long ball and maybe put one in.

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Jeeks ] ++

I agree that the opinon is not a good one. But I have to disagree with you Glennon why Juve did not attack. DP does not take the whole blame, the problem was stemming from the midfield. We all know that Vieira and Emerson are the dynamos and depending on their position on the pitch the team either attacks or defend. These two were shutting down Inter and thus could not feed neither the front line nor the flanks.

But here you raised one important issue, DP's weakness in counter-attacks (EURO final against France comes flashes in front of me). This is where I agree with Zlatan in the match thread when he said that Mutu should have come instead of DP. Zlatan did not say why, but I know he means and knows that Mutu can handle a counter attack much better.
:thumb:

Holygr4le

Aug 4, 2005
I agree that the opinon is not a good one. But I have to disagree with you Glennon why Juve did not attack. DP does not take the whole blame, the problem was stemming from the midfield.
True. The problem Is 95% midfield. But then there is what options do the midfield have when it comes to positioning or play options. As in Barca there is always 2 or 3 players available to receive the ball.

Another important factor is this:
You know when a goalie is insecure it affects the hole defence making them shaky and eventually to play bad. They lose confidence in him so they stop coming up in attacks and so on.
The same with midfielders or attackers but in a much much smaller scale. You change your play because of the people near and around you.

We all know that Vieira and Emerson are the dynamos and depending on their position on the pitch the team either attacks or defend. These two were shutting down Inter and thus could not feed neither the front line nor the flanks. But here you raised one important issue, DP's weakness in counter-attacks (EURO final against France comes flashes in front of me). This is where I agree with Zlatan in the match thread when he said that Mutu should have come instead of DP. Zlatan did not say why, but I know he means and knows that Mutu can handle a counter attack much better.
Also true.
But with for example Mutu I believe we would have had a different game. Not just cause his faster and better in counterattack, also because he would have opened space in the centre as he often goes wide. And draws attention to himself in a great way.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005

Well I wouldn't have put Del Piero either alone. Zalayata is not fast. I think that Mutu should've been fielded either with Zalayata or with Del Piero for fast counter attacks.
My point was, del piero can do better, he didn't. I felt that he backed off scared of injury. I am not justifying his bad performance I am explaining it.
Looking at what Inter players were doing, I might have put Mutu and Zalayata instead of Del Piero and Zalayata.

Jan 7, 2004

Well I wouldn't have put Del Piero either alone. Zalayata is not fast. I think that Mutu should've been fielded either with Zalayata or with Del Piero for fast counter attacks.
My point was, del piero can do better, he didn't. I felt that he backed off scared of injury. I am not justifying his bad performance I am explaining it.
Looking at what Inter players were doing, I might have put Mutu and Zalayata instead of Del Piero and Zalayata.

what happened to taking a blow and getting up and showing them *****es what it means to play soccer (nedved style)

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
I think at the time, DP was a better choice than Mutu cos he had Trez alongside and they link up better
You have a point there.. It was a difficult game to coach. Lucky for all of us that all the complication started after we were up by 2 goals. Its a big blow for everyone especially the coach when the 2 strikers had to be subbed for injury.
Damn you materazzi.. You are an animal.

lestat_1987

Aug 31, 2005
Italy coach Marcello Lippi has defended his selection of Juventus striker Alessandro del Piero.

"Del Piero is here because he's playing well for Juventus," said Lippi, "little, but well."

Maresca

Aug 23, 2004
++ [ originally posted by lestat_1987 ] ++
Italy coach Marcello Lippi has defended his selection of Juventus striker Alessandro del Piero.

"Del Piero is here because he's playing well for Juventus," said Lippi, "little, but well."
Lippi knows what DP can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 41)