Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (42 Viewers)

Diego

Aug 30, 2005
Lippi justifies Cassano snub Tuesday 30 August, 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marcello Lippi has explained why he’s opted to select Alex Del Piero ahead of Antonio Cassano for Italy’s World Cup qualifiers.

Both have spent time on the bench so far this season, but the Juventus ace has been chosen for the games against Scotland and Belarus.

"I think it is only right that we talk about the players who are here rather than those who are not," said the Azzurri boss.

"Cassano has really played very little in this campaign so far. Del Piero has featured more and has played well.

"I’ve already said that once Cassano has resolved all of his problems, he will return. Perhaps something would have happened by next month…

"I don’t say that because I know what will occur but the transfer window doesn’t close until Wednesday night."

The Roma starlet, linked with a switch to Juventus, is currently in conflict with his club after failing to extend his contract which expires in 2006.

Del Piero has been included in the 22-man squad though even if he didn’t feature in the 1-0 win over Chievo on Sunday.

"I have total faith in Alex and he seems to be in good form right now," continued the 57-year-old.

"If I need him to play in a wide position then it won’t be something new for him. I already used him in such a position during my first year at Juventus."

Lippi has also selected another of his former Bianconeri pupils by recalling Lazio ‘keeper Angelo Peruzzi, given the injury to current Juve No 1 Gigi Buffon.

"Peruzzi has always been at my total disposal," he added. "He is an element who can guarantee this squad technical and human qualities, as well as charisma.

"I’ve coached both Angelo and Gigi Buffon, they are the best the world has seen over the last 15 years.

"Angelo’s age is not a concern. The only thing that matters is that he is a great player."

Italy’s latest qualifier will take place at Hampden Park on Saturday having already beaten Scotland 2-0 in their first group meeting.

"We expect to play a different Scotland side than the one we faced at the San Siro," noted the tactician.

"But the time has arrived for us to go and impose our brand of football in games from now on.

"My side have changed mentality over the last few months as we now have great faith in our ability. I’m convinced that we will do well."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buy on AliExpress.com

giovanotti

ONE MAN ARMY
Aug 13, 2004
++ [ originally posted by Diego ] ++
Lippi justifies Cassano snub Tuesday 30 August, 2005

Del Piero has been included in the 22-man squad though even if he didn’t feature in the 1-0 win over Chievo on Sunday.

"I have total faith in Alex and he seems to be in good form right now," continued the 57-year-old.

"If I need him to play in a wide position then it won’t be something new for him. I already used him in such a position during my first year at Juventus."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ehhhhhh,Lippi the king.

Zizou

Apr 21, 2003
A lot to prove? He won straight away, what else should he do?? And it's not so ridiculous that a reserve player is still a player in his NT. Example Owen. And it's not like that DP has been removed from his first eleven spot by two unknowns, but by two international players too.

GordoDeCentral

Diez
Apr 14, 2005
oh please look at the teams Lippi worked with and the ones Cap had. No contest Lippi is the man with the Di Livios Birrindellis of the world. And as far as Juve's concerned Cap has still a lot to prove compared to Lippi.

Codino

The Rival
Jul 21, 2002
++ [ originally posted by Altair ] ++
oh please look at the teams Lippi worked with and the ones Cap had. No contest Lippi is the man with the Di Livios Birrindellis of the world. And as far as Juve's concerned Cap has still a lot to prove compared to Lippi.
which means capello is smarter with his transfers ;)

- vOnAm -

Jul 22, 2004
I think they both have different styles, Lippi had some pretty strong teams too in the past.
And the birindellis are quite useful depending on how you want to play. Di Livio was no average player either.
We won with Zebina...that could be something, with Blasi in midfield.

No doubt Cap's rep at Juve cannot contest Lippi's but I doubt you can put one above the other. Personally they both have their bias opinions and preferance on top of their success.

kthx

Mar 26, 2005
++ [ originally posted by fabiana ] ++

Right now Zlatan, Trezeguet and Mutu are better than him
That gave me a chuckle.... but I'll try to be serious, how is Mutu better than Del Piero right now?

Please enlighten me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 36)