Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (17 Viewers)

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
Messi & Ronaldo are boring. :rofl:
Extremely. They are robots. They can't express themselves, they just rinse and repeat effective ways to bring forth the results, which is great and all. But for the ones that enjoy watching expressive players like the Del Piero's, Riquelme's, Figo ( :tuttosport: dude was a smoker! says a lot about his physical shape), the mechanic messi's and cristiano's are boring as fuck.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Zlatan>>>Messi and Cristiano COMBINED!

Fr3sh

Jul 12, 2011
And I'm dead serious! Zlatan crushed Messi's ego and had ridiculous numbers at Barca in half a season, imagine if Pep used him effectively. Zlatan would've crushed little Cristiano's the same way too and push him to the wing if he went to Madrid!

Aug 17, 2007
It's all about pace now - that's his point. Baggio said the same some years ago.
Extremely. They are robots. They can't express themselves, they just rinse and repeat effective ways to bring forth the results, which is great and all. But for the ones that enjoy watching expressive players like the Del Piero's, Riquelme's, Figo ( :tuttosport: dude was a smoker! says a lot about his physical shape), the mechanic messi's and cristiano's are boring as $#@!.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and Zlatan>>>Messi and Cristiano COMBINED!
:agree:

BTW, it's amazing how many exciting players we enjoyed only 10-15 years ago, and today - nothing.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Yup. I think that's why I don't watch that many games anymore.
I know that feel. Exactly the same here

There used to be

arsenal : bergkamp and henry
man utd : giggs and becks on the wing, scholes domminating the center
liverpool : gerrard. reason enough
real madrid: redondo, raul, galactico's
inter : for a decade, had a shit team, and the best strikers in the world
milan : full of artists and legendary defenders

And then there were the smaller teams who also had at least 1 interesting guy worth watching

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
The way zidane could be given a ball in the center, 5 players within sliding range, and how he managed to cut himself clear, often breaking the defence wide open, that is something i never saw any player do that brilliantly.

Ronaldo was good at it, but usually positionned himself in ways where he could go clear if he escaped his market. But zidane took it in the center, drew everything onto him instantly, and got out.

With all respect, pirlo now does this with twisting and turning, and he's a legend. But compared to how zidane did that with sublime ball controll and trickery, that was from another planet.

I'm sad to say, we likely wont ever see a player do that again

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
The other thing is that Zidane rarely dove. Neither did young Ale. Look how many times in that video someone slides in on a tackle and clips his boots, or catches his shin, and he just keeps going, spinning, leaping, sidestepping his way around every obstacle, all while keeping control. Every time anyone slides in on Messi or C.Ronaldo, they immediately go to ground, even if they are hardly touched. They'd rather get the free kick than the advantage. It's sad really.

Besides that, watch Zidane constantly have 3-4 players converge on him when he gets the ball, and somehow he manages to escape the box that immediately surrounds him, and then proceeds to escape the next. Messi is only good at taking on one defender at a time, yes he can do this with 3 or 4 in succession with his pace, and C.Ronaldo is a genius with open space, but Zidane could dribble circles around 3-4 defenders at once, the amount of times he made people stumble, or fall, or slide into tackles while he's going the other way, it was ridiculous. He'd draw half a side to him in the centre of the pitch and then all of sudden escape and play it out to the open man in acres of space. And all this when the referees did not call matches so blatantly in favour of attack.

Football refereeing has progressively advance to favouring attackers more and more since around 2000. The most pathetic dives from minimal contact are rewarded now, none of the comparatively harsh tackles common in the 80s and 90s are allowed anymore. Players aren't rewarded for staying on their feet through tackles like they were then.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Such a shame. Watching Zidane, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Del Piero, Baggio and Figo felt like pure art in motion.

I miss this brilliance in football so much. Apart from neymar, does anyone even still effectively use stepovers with success.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
The way zidane could be given a ball in the center, 5 players within sliding range, and how he managed to cut himself clear, often breaking the defence wide open, that is something i never saw any player do that brilliantly.

Ronaldo was good at it, but usually positionned himself in ways where he could go clear if he escaped his market. But zidane took it in the center, drew everything onto him instantly, and got out.

With all respect, pirlo now does this with twisting and turning, and he's a legend. But compared to how zidane did that with sublime ball controll and trickery, that was from another planet.

I'm sad to say, we likely wont ever see a player do that again
the closest we have today is Iniesta. but, thats still atleast 2 levels bellow Zizou and with much less of this amazing dribbeling the Algerian genius had. put Zidane in Barcelona 2009- (instead of Iniesta), with todays defending and there is no way they would lose the semis against Inter/Chelsea which would mean 4 straight CL titles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 12)