Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (82 Viewers)

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
And rightfully so, DP should not be anywhere near that category.
He's among top 10 scorers of all time in the CL, and it's a good decision to place him in that poll, but obviously there were better and more influential players. These two are definitely ahead.

Zacheryah

Aug 29, 2010
Pre injury del piero was better then both, and considering the leadership ablities as a captain, del piero would have a bigger impact then messi on this rediculously talented argentina NT

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
He's among top 10 scorers of all time in the CL, and it's a good decision to place him in that poll, but obviously there were better and more influential players. These two are definitely ahead.
I'm not doubting him as a player, for me he was probably among top 10 best players, but as a scorer he is far from best.

Aug 17, 2007
I think he's a great scorer. The fact that he scored so many goals during his career, although he played in the difficult Serie A, proves it. Besides his famous miss in Euro 2000 final, I can barely remember him missing in front of goal.

Vlad

In Allegri We Trust
May 23, 2011
Pre injury del piero was better then both, and considering the leadership ablities as a captain, del piero would have a bigger impact then messi on this rediculously talented argentina NT
Pre injury Del Piero was the best footballer I've ever seen. Pace, agility and quickness were the attributes that he lost a bit after that horrific injury and for a good 2 years after it he lacked confidence; that last was rather noticeable at the Euro, hence his misses in the final game.

zizinho

Apr 14, 2013
Cassano would have a bigger impact than Messi. Del Piero would lead them to a WC with atlest one Copa America untill now...

Post Ironic

Feb 9, 2013
This is so true. Pre-injury Del Piero was incredible. 23 years old and scored 32 in 47 for the club including 10 in 10 in the UCL in an era when the competition was much more balanced. There weren't just 3 or 4 super clubs like there are now. That injury was devastating. It took him 4 years to break the 20 goal mark again. I mean, pre-injury Del Piero had 20 goals in 27 matches in the UCL over three years. And he hadn't even reached what should have been his prime yet. He doesn't get injured, I can imagine Juve going to another UCL final or two around 2000, and winning another, with DP scoring at a goal a match in the UCL for 3-5 years. That was unheard of at the time.

Only now, in the era of poor defensive play has that happened again with Messi and Ronaldo.

It makes me laugh when Roma fans claim Totti was better than DP. He never came close to that season of Del Piero's. Besides DP scored 27 National team goals to Totti's 9. Embarrassing display for country, and Totti somehow thinks he deserves a WC inclusion this year. He's always choked for Italy. 9 goals :sergio: Without the injury Del Piero would have had 10x the career of that no class dud.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 18, Guests: 59)