Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (108 Viewers)

Heir

Apr 6, 2010
Save the speech.

Only Gila played at the top level this season, plus Lippi can't really win a world cup without having one of the like Del Piero. You need experience, you need someone to motivate the team, fans and knows how to deal and act in difficult situations.
Italy don't stand a chance. That Del Piero is even a possibility raises questions about this squad. If you want to win the World Cup, you need someone who is like Alex when he was 25.

Argentina have Messi, Tevez, Aguero, Lavezzi, who are all arguably better than the best striker Italy have to offer (whoever that might be).

I'd rather have Alex not go through this humiliating affair.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Italy don't stand a chance. That Del Piero is even a possibility raises questions about this squad. If you want to win the World Cup, you need someone who is like Alex when he was 25.

Argentina have Messi, Tevez, Aguero, Lavezzi, who are all arguably better than the best striker Italy have to offer (whoever that might be).

I'd rather have Alex not go through this humiliating affair.
Argentina had Messi, Tevez and some other better players but they couldn't make it past the Germans.

It's what you have in your squad, the quality of your players.

If it's all about age then Arsenal should be dominating this football world.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
He has a better team than Ale, that's all. After Ronaldo, I had never seen such a fat active player until I saw Totti last night and I realized that he is getting fatter and fatter week in week out.

king Ale

Oct 28, 2004
I didn't know he was that fat to be honest :D I wouldn't pick him to start the games but when the team is struggling (which is bound to happen to this Italy's squad) players like Totti can always help the team.

Btw, not taking Miccoli to the world cup is a crime I must admit but I'm really happy about that :p

Dostoevsky

Tzu
Administrator
May 27, 2007
He lost his speed. It's not like he was a rocket before but he can't control the ball as good as before. Ranieri kept him on bench several times with a reason. Menez has been shining and he deserves to play instead of Totti. Still, I don't see how can such a player make difference even as a sub. Too slow, it's not the old player. Sure, from time to time he'd make some great move since he's a legend after all but it's not it, and I doubt Italy can benefit, nor I think he deserves a call.

Miccoli was great, it sure is a crime. He deserves to be there. He along with Di Natale had a superb season.

blondu

Grazie Ale
Nov 9, 2006
How deluded or of a poor oppinion of Del Piero can you be to think that he had an ok season.
Yes I understand and I said that you have to be of a poor oppinion about him if oyu consider this an ok season for his standards.

You can't say that the team was poor so because of this he should be relieved of the criticism of his performence (that goes to all ofthe players not only DP)

On the other hand it seems that to some of you it realy wouldn't matter if he would have a disasterous season, because in their eyes DP would still have had an ok season, hence the delusion, clauded judgment or conflict of interest, call whatever you want it.
if dp had an awful season...amauri didn't played at all..grygera isn't a football player and zebina doesn't exist.

Raz

Nov 20, 2005
if dp had an awful season...amauri didn't played at all..grygera isn't a football player and zebina doesn't exist.
Wow, comparing DP to grygera and amauri, who cares how grygera amauri camo or anyone else performed compared to Del Piero, fact is that Del Piero himself compared to his own standards which he had set himself have performed poorly.

ZAF3000

Feb 14, 2005
I am not gonna say I am not biased when it comes to Del Piero. I want Del Piero to play in the national team because I enjoy watching him play and the WC w/o Ale won't be the same.
That is said, I do trust Del Piero and his ability to lead and win games. Yes it is true that this season hasn't be so spectacular for him, mostly due to his long injury and hideous team performance, and yes it is true that his performances with Juventus are better than the national team. But the reason is simple. When Del Piero gets to play in his position he always excels. Most of his bad games were when playing off position and was not given time to adapt.
Another reason to call in for DP is that Italy has failed to produce quality youngsters capable of carrying the torch (partly because they weren't given enough chance by their clubs to play).
If it was up to me, I'd include all of DP, Totti and Cassano in the national team.

That is said, DP did not have an AWFUL season as many have said. During most of the games he played he was top two or max three players in our squad. I know that is hardly an achievement lol, but in many games he was the best player. He is a forward that does not get service and when drops back to create he finds a midfield that doesn't move, worthless fullbacks and a hopeless forward.

Lo-Pan

Disciple of Gonzo
Feb 11, 2009
Well that's just silly. It's not a fair comparison at all.
Its not a FAIR comparison to adjust the ages, and compare DP now with Totti two years ago. That is a different debate altogether. I was referring to the italian team of NOW. Also...one of the reasons why I think Totti will remain potent for longer than DP has, is his aggression and physical bulk. Dp has become ridiculously easy to knock of the ball, whereas the burly totti is not quite so fragile and flimsy. This makes a huge difference when attackers are facing decent defenders who know how to shield and apply physical pressure without fouling. DP's main use seems to be winning free kicks...basically...falling over. That is what it has come to for the once superb legend. Totti is more likely to foul others...hohohoho! poor ol' balotelli eh! About time someone showed him that he is not the only playfully antagonstic idiot in the game.

I don't like Totti. But I do see him presently as much more useful than DP...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 106)