Il Capitano Alessandro Del Piero (229 Viewers)

The Curr

Feb 3, 2007
Del Piero sees the light
Saturday 14 June, 2008

Alessandro Del Piero has faith Italy can still qualify, as they have rediscovered the attitude that was lacking against Holland.

The 1-1 draw with Romania may not have garnered full points, but it was a considerably stronger performance than the 3-0 debut thrashing.

“We have decidedly changed mentality compared to the Holland game and that goes for all of my teammates, not just those who came in for this match,” said the captain.

Del Piero had only been a substitute against the Dutch, but was one of five changes to the starting XI for the second match.

“We were missing something in our opener, but have rediscovered it now.”

Yet the Azzurri risked early elimination had Gianluigi Buffon not saved Adrian Mutu’s late penalty.

“Unfortunately we were a little exposed to counter-attacks and shots from distance, so at the end of the day we could have even lost.

“We tried to impose our style of play and push them back into their own half, so nobody can complain about that.

“I hope the penalty save can be a positive sign for the future of our European Championship campaign.”
http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/jun14b.html

Alen

Ѕenior Аdmin
Apr 2, 2007
He didn't play bad at all....and at the same time he's no Luca Toni to get all these crosses that were played today.
Sorry Rab, i think he was really bad. There are reasons why he was bad (high balls, Perrotta on his way) but it doesn't change the fact that he was bad.
I checked few sites (betting sites, sports sites etc) and everyone agrees that Ale was bad today. Del Piero, Zambrotta and Perrotta are highlightted as the worst players on the pitch for Italy.

We know how good he is and we all know that he's more talented than every single player on the pitch today. He was pure brilliance at the end of the season, he was winning matches on his own, creating chances and scoring goals, making the defenders crazy during the process.
Today we've seen nothing of the kind. He's like a different guy when playing for Juve and playing for Azzurri.

P.S: I just checked Goal.com and it's the same story. He got the lowest ranking of all Italian players ("A massive disappointment" according to the author of the article) , 99% of the people who left their messages there agree that he was a major disappointment and everyone's asking for Cassano to replace him.

juvefan10

May 14, 2006
i absolutely agree with Alen...

ale completely changes when he plays for azzurri..

scientists discovered two kinds of ale.
Del Piero For Juve
Del Piero For Italy
two different things...

horrible game by ale.. however i think that he should start along cassano next game.
i do hope it was justa bad day not a whole european campaign

Jun 13, 2007
He wasn't good at all but in his defense, there wasn't much he could really do against Romania. Italy were crossing the ball most of time for Toni, Ale didn't get involved in many plays and Italy's attacking spark came only from the fullbacks.

I still think taking him out was a mistake though. The second he went out, Italy almost lost complete control of the game.

Del piero didn't receive as much support as he should have and that surprised me with players like Pirlo around. Italy played wide too much and didn't play enough through balls to the strikers. Whenever Pirlo got the ball, he would just send it out to Zamb or Grosso.

Luca

Apr 22, 2007
He wasn't good at all but in his defense, there wasn't much he could really do against Romania. Italy were crossing the ball most of time for Toni, Ale didn't get involved in many plays and Italy's attacking spark came only from the fullbacks.

I still think taking him out was a mistake though. The second he went out, Italy almost lost complete control of the game.

Del piero didn't receive as much support as he should have and that surprised me with players like Pirlo around. Italy played wide too much and didn't play enough through balls to the strikers. Whenever Pirlo got the ball, he would just send it out to Zamb or Grosso.
exactly, DP wasn't suited to our game plan which was to pepper the penalty area with long balls. It was evident that DP wasn't on form though, by half time he had ran out of steam.

Jun 13, 2007
Like I said before, Italy's only chance of qualifying remains in Cassano's hands. To me, he's the only Italian along with Grosso, that is playing with heart and conviction. I hope he starts against France.

Marko

GhostDog
May 1, 2006
As a big Alex fan I hate to say it but he sucked yesterday. Against France he should not start. Play Cassano and Di Natale instead. Del Piero with the Azzurri, it's just not meant to be.
That could be said for Cassano.
Is that Ferrari in your username stands for car brand or for the player from Roma?

ForzaFerrari

Oct 12, 2005
It stands for the Schumacher-Ferrari glory days ;-)

And yeah, the same could be said about Cassano, but he hasn't been given a starting place...wich he by now fully deserves. Maybe Don should start both of them, instead of Camoranesi who was just aweful yesterday. He gives a lot of wrong passes and has no fire at all.

Azzurri7

Pinturicchio
Dec 16, 2003
Sorry Rab, i think he was really bad. There are reasons why he was bad (high balls, Perrotta on his way) but it doesn't change the fact that he was bad.
I checked few sites (betting sites, sports sites etc) and everyone agrees that Ale was bad today. Del Piero, Zambrotta and Perrotta are highlightted as the worst players on the pitch for Italy.

We know how good he is and we all know that he's more talented than every single player on the pitch today. He was pure brilliance at the end of the season, he was winning matches on his own, creating chances and scoring goals, making the defenders crazy during the process.
Today we've seen nothing of the kind. He's like a different guy when playing for Juve and playing for Azzurri.

P.S: I just checked Goal.com and it's the same story. He got the lowest ranking of all Italian players ("A massive disappointment" according to the author of the article) , 99% of the people who left their messages there agree that he was a major disappointment and everyone's asking for Cassano to replace him.
I know he got the lowest raanking of all Italian players according to some sites. But If you really look at the game, there wasn't much he can do.

1- Perrotta isn't any creative player and I've said it even before the game, If Cassano starts alongside Ale they'll both perform well because they'll both help each others. Just like Pavel and Ale playing together with Juve.

2- The system/tactics that were played was depending only on crosses....If we're going to judge Ale by not heading the ball a single time, then yes he was the worst because thats not him. He's no Koller, Toni, Crouch to take on these balls. Whenever the ball was played on the ground he was involved every single time of it.

3- Camoranesi again was also pushing backwards, just like the Holland game. Not to also forget Perrotta's terrible position and work. This left Ale alone against 5defenders. Not even Maradona could have done something. He was soo Isolated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 222)